Versatile TW Videos
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Versatile TW Videos

Versatile TW Videos

Sunday Adam and I put our TWs through all sorts of varied paces really using all the Dual Sport features that make these bikes so enjoyable.
    After climbing up over 8,900 ft jeep route we single tracked a bit then descended via old beat up Jeep road to the American River with bumper-to-bumper traffic leaving Lake Tahoe. We plodded along in ever building heat until at about the 6,000 ft level we took this delicious paved twisty backcountry route away from all the traffic.. Twenty something miles of romping through nice forests on nice asphalt brought us back up to the 8,000 ft and the Mokulumne River drainage. Here are a few of those fun corners that were such a smooth contrast to the off-road portions.

As usual all these videos are 720i resolution
    Last edited by Fred; 08-01-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The single track was all a fellow could ask for and then some...actually a bit too much as the track wanted to turn into the Rubicon of single tracks as it fell off the fairly level ridge and headed down in ever uglier ledges and drop offs. Knowing I would never loft the front wheel over those obstacles should we have to climb back out I chickened out. Adam was game to continue the several miles of steep descent but I feared getting hung up all day back there. I had ridden this trail decades ago on an enduro bike when it was in better shape and even then my riding buddy fell and broke his clavicle.
    Must have been too busy to turn on camera as things got nastier up to the turn around point but here is some of the trail.

It got steep and knew it was going to get steeper so we bailed, backtracked and took a jeep road instead.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-01-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

So we took the Jeep road down off the ridge to cute mountain cabin community of Strawberry on the American River. Never measured the mileage heading down but the day's loop was seventy something miles. This Strawberry Creek Road would have been fun to ride uphill. As usual we passed up several unexplored side roads. Might have to return one more time.
    admiral, Tripp99, Cjoe 007 and 5 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's looks awesome, I am sold I am getting an action camera.
    Do you run the Duro on pavement? Or do you change out the Duro set up with another wheel and tire?

Nice ride you and Adam had. Boy, if you two turned back I can't imagine how bad the trail was. Well, I can imagine the trail bad just not you guys turning around. Good to know your limits and not get into too much trouble. You two avoided a through the night ride and search & rescue situation.

I noticed in the first video the road was paved. From our last ride with you and this one you & Adam rode, I was wondering why so many paved forest service roads. Was this do to logging or something else in the past?

Jeep road looked like it had its technical moments. Just now noticed you have a new front fender. I see you had it on during the Reno Ride but didn't notice it until now.

Good rides and video's Fred!clap.gif
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The Duro seems to do just fine leaned over cornering on blacktop. I have little road riding experience but Adam wasn't holding back much to let me stay even with him in the corners. Never dragged a foot peg but sanded off a bit of shoe leather on one hairpin. With all the dust and dirt on the tread scrubbed away by the asphalt points of contact one could easily see how far bikes get leaned over. Adam's polished the first layer of side lugs on his TrailWing while the my Duro never transitioned from the big cross tire tread blocks onto the sidewalls.
    Speaking of dust and dirt I found it humorous to see the dusty mists ejected from our bikes and clothing each time we accelerated from off-road to 55mph paved roads.

As far as action cameras goes I feel lucky to have gotten the Contour. It's sleek torpedo shape hugs my helmets better, has less wind generated turbulence noise, does not snag foliage, and best of all has less of a wide angle lens than most GoPro camera systems. Just my opinion but I notice more distracting spherical distortion on other folks GoPro videos. Plus it is nice to know that I could push camera's performance much higher with a 60 frame per second sample rate at a higher 1020i resolution. I do not do this because the fourfold increase in file size would really challenge my limited laptop's memory and my upload baud rate ( country living does not come with high speed internet, just a pair of old fashioned twisted phone wires).
    bad luck likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Admiral, don't know why Sierras tend to have so many paved old roads, perhaps due to having so many more visitors than Idaho's woods and thus concern about visitor safety, erosion and subsequent sedimentation into water features. Possibly as a result of this paving there are federal regulations prohibiting all non-street legal vehicles from operating on any federally managed road systems but this is another incredibly un-inforced federal statute. If enforced it would have a very detrimental effect on growing industry of side-by-side UTVs as well as existing ATVs and trail bikes. Like many statutes perhaps this law has become just another tool in law enforcements bag of tricks to apply at the discretion of regional managers or on a case by case application by officers should they think your "hinky".
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Nice trail videos!
    I am curious if any one had the issue with the first video not filling the screen? it was only half the width as the other 2 posted videos.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Maybe I'll sound like an asshole here, but could you not put music in your videos in future? I hate when people post videos of [insert vehicle here] and then they put music over it so you can't hear it. Hearing the engine is half of what any car/bike video is about!

What a great day of varied riding!!

Once again, great videos too and great music selection!

I really liked the forest and potential camp spots along the single track. Untouched land that is hard to reach other than by motorcycle or foot.

Thank you, Fred - another successful day of adventure!
    Dryden-Tdub and bad luck like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links