Parking Lot Slalom Challenge!!! (Video)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Parking Lot Slalom Challenge!!! (Video)

Parking Lot Slalom Challenge!!! (Video)

Hey Guys,

So I went out for a little ride yesterday and headed out to my usual parking lot to practice my usual low speed maunuevers and came up with a pretty fun, simple way to hone your skills. Its just a basic slalom using the the center spots in a parking lot. I had a great time the past few days working on it and can't wait to get back at it tomorrow. So my thinking was, I wonder if any of the other TW guys like to do this kinds of stuff, and if they, I wonder if we could start a sort of challenge thread with stuff like this. Basic stuff we can all do with little to no equipment cept for the bike and get some good training out of it. And have a little friendly competition while were at it. I'm kind of rambling but it seams like a fun idea in my head. So now anyone can post video replies to this, or just post times, and share any learning we gain from these drills. We can all sit back and say how awesome we are, becuase we do ride TWs so its pretty much true, but here we could show what we can do with our nimble little ladies. Anywho, here's my challenge to anyone who dares!!!

Nice idea and looks fun.

As an inexperienced driver, this is a great idea for me. I need to do more slow speed maneuvering drills. If I get a go pro like I plan this week I'll be sure to post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    As an inexperienced driver, this is a great idea for me. I need to do more slow speed maneuvering drills. If I get a go pro like I plan this week I'll be sure to post.
    Also an inexperienced rider, I have about 3 years and 7k miles under my belt so I have a long ways to go.

I remember watching an interview with Graham Jarvis and he said something to the effect of it being very important master going slow, speed comes with time.

Either way, head out to a parking lot and rough guess your time. I reckon the importance shouldn't be on your actual time but on control and improvement. Looking through and past corners and being set up for the next turn. It is some good cheap fun and it feels pretty cool building the confidence to lay the bike down and throw it through a corner. Not to say that I'm scraping pegs but I feel like Rossi so I guess that's what matters.

Do you guys think a recurring skills challenge is a good idea? Ideas for different challenges? I know its all basics but I figure everyone can benefit from either participating or watching others tirals and errors.

Quote Originally Posted by BRug14468 View Post
    Also an inexperienced rider, I have about 3 years and 7k miles under my belt so I have a long ways to go.
    Wow, I have owned motorcycles for 30 days now. Maybe have 1k miles between the 3 bikes. Damn man, 7k miles that's some good travel time! And I agree, I won't be looking to have any best times posted on the parking lot slalom challenge, my main intention will be to just get the low speed control.
    Rhodetrip and jtomelliott49 like this.
    -Ruri

No, no, no, that's WAY too easy! Find a lot that has a concrete divider in the middle and THEN ride in and out of each slot! Hint: it's easier standing up with a little rear brake.

For variation on a non-divided lot, you can imagine each spot where the lines cross as a slalom marker, or even put some paper cups on them. Start parallel and 6 feet to one side of the dividing line, trying to keep an even distance on either side and crossing in the middle of the marks.
    To me, the challenge in this kind of practice is not speed at all, but accuracy and consistency. It's pretty easy to nail the first three or four markers, but to keep that up for twenty is MUCH harder!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The first part was kind of funny. I can see it now. But remember to visualize a TW not a road racer bike!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    No, no, no, that's WAY too easy! Find a lot that has a concrete divider in the middle and THEN ride in and out of each slot! Hint: it's easier standing up with a little rear brake.

For variation on a non-divided lot, you can imagine each spot where the lines cross as a slalom marker, or even put some paper cups on them. Start parallel and 6 feet to one side of the dividing line, trying to keep an even distance on either side and crossing in the middle of the marks.
    To me, the challenge in this kind of practice is not speed at all, but accuracy and consistency. It's pretty easy to nail the first three or four markers, but to keep that up for twenty is MUCH harder!
    So maybe the drill for next week or month can be a smaller tighter slalom... I like it... Lead the way...

I completely agree with standing for real tight corners. I feel like you can pretty consistently complete full circles within one parking spot and standing for this particular drill is kind of unnecessary. Just my two cents, and I'm not a professional rider so take that for what its worth.

Most importantly, after looking at Admirals picture I think I have a name for this little series...

THE TW-TT!!!

TW Time Trials! I love it! So the winner is the one who can negotiate the course with NO mistakes and NO foot dabs in the required time or less.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

This is brilliant! Love this idea :-) I haven't done parking lot maneuvers for far too long.
    Smitty Blackstone and JagLite like this.
    '03 TW200 - QuasiMoto, the king of wheeee!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links