Trip Planning -- North-Western Utah
Close

Hi all,

So in mid-August my wife and I are going to Bonneville for Speed Week (just outside of Wendover, UT). We're only going to Speedweek for three days so we thought we'd spend the second-half of our week away doing some sight-seeing in other parts of either Utah or Northern California on our TW's.

So My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on places, preferably within a 6-8 hour drive of Wendover, UT (on the border between Utah and Nevada). I've heard of some ghost town's in the extreme N/WC of Utah but want to know if it's worth the drive up there to see them. We'll be hauling the TW's in the back of a pick-up and just riding them at whatever destinations we stop at (but we won't be riding them on the salt flats).

Some other destination ideas I've had:

Yellowstone - Worried about how crowded it would be in mid-August, plus it's a hard-day's drive from Wendover. Would be fun to ride the TW's there though.

Promotory Point - I've always wanted to see it, just wondering if it's worth the trip

Lake Tahoe - One of my favorite places on Earth, just a long drive from Wendover. Plus the last time I was there on my TW it ran like crud because of the elevation

National Parks in Southern Utah (Zion) - Again, Crowds? I'm trying to avoid those as much as possible

Park City UT - Never been, is it worth the trip? Any good trails for the TW's?

Northern Nevada - Anything interesting?

Any advice from others who have been to some of these places would be appreciated! Thanks!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

I'm not very familiar with northwestern Utah only because I never seem to be able to tear myself away from southwesternern Utah once I'm there.

But I've been to Bryce, Zion et al in summertime and found them nearly empty due to the heat. Capitol Reef and some of the higher elevation parks were probably more crowded. One June I spent 4 days in Moab and only saw 2 other bikes.

Your mileage may vary.

In southwestern Utah there's the Burr Trail, which is couple hundred miles long and intersects main roads in a few locations. The Paiute ATV trail. The Silver Reef area is right off of Interstate 15. We poked around there in a small car but want to go back with our TW's. I think you can sneak into Zion from there. Lots to do. Wish I had more info further north.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks for the feedback Lizrdbrth! I've also spent some time in S/W Utah, though typically in late spring before it starts getting hot. Mid-August might be toasty. If it wasn't for that I'd probably head-down there again. Still thinking about Escalante (near Capitol Reef); it's a little higher in elevation than the St. George area of UT, is quite a lot closer (and should have a little bit cooler temps than Moab) and when I was there a little over a year ago with some friends in VW's we found a lot of trails! It's definitely on the list. But then again so are Lake Tahoe and Park City area. Decisions, decisions. I'll keep the board updated on what Regina nad I decide. Any other recommendations?

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Some Suggestions:

1. West of Salt Lake City, Fairfield, UT and east follow the Pony Express Trail.

Also you can head off Pony Express (Erickson Road) to Delta and after Delta look for Hinckley just west, pick up and old alignment of US 50 to Baker, NV.

Then at at Marjum Canyon there is a road that heads north to an old hermit cave.

2. Baker Nevada-(Great Basin Area) lots of good riding both north and south.

3. South of Tooele-the Old Mormon Trail. After Stockton its a little hard to find but a fun ride. Ask locals to help out. At times you riding in old wagon ruts.

4. Huntsville to Logan some nice backways.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Let me know if youre still planning your trip. I live, hunt and ride all over Utah.
    2007 TW

I'm new to this game so I hate to recommend routes but the east side of the Wasatch mountains are really beautiful. I plan on exploring this area when I get a chance

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=791677

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1196873

sorry guys, I'm still planning on making this trip, but it won't be until next summer now. We're going to head to the Mammoth Lakes area in mid-September with our dune buggy club and I wasn't able to get time-off from work to do both trips so we're going to do Mammoth this year and Bonneville next. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Kevin

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

Sponosred Links