TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

MUST! Take gear for off road TDub.?

7K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  Dryden-Tdub 
#1 ·
I've been a boondocker all my life, don't really like the road if I don't have to ride on it.
I do a lot of high mountain desert riding, it's been mostly sidexsides or four wheelers and I know what to pack in the box for just about any emergency I can think of on them.
But a TDub is a bit different, along with the basic stay alive gear is there any mechanical bits I should pack just in case?
Clutch lever? Maybe. Anything else that if broke could leave me stranded?
Does anybody have a good tool list so I don't over do it?
Getting anxious for a ride but want to be properly prepared.
Thanks.
Sonny Vehicle Mode of transport Ecoregion Plain Sand

See less See more
#2 ·
The TW isn't much different than any other old school motorcycle. All sorts of "what I carry" lists about. Much depends on skill level
and experience. The stock tool kit isn't too poor. Maybe ad a master link , safety wire, patch kit, pump, prop stick. Sometimes the best bit of kit anymore is your cell phone and pre ride maintainence. A well maintained and sensibly ridden TW in all probability won't leave you stuck with something field repairable. The key is keeping up with maintainence.

#3 · (Edited)
I would think the items needed would be those you could not limp along with out,
Can I get by on a flat? Yep,
How bout a broken clutch lever? I think so,
A lost main link on the chain? Nope,
A small hole in gas tank ? Maybe
A severed fuel line? Nope,
Practical thing are best bought along,
The further you are away from roads or cell service, The more you may want to carry as far as spares,
Makes me think,
Plug, Duct tape, A length of wire,Master link, Fuel line, Cell Phone, Maybe shift and clutch lever, Basic tool set to replace very basic items, The OEM tool kit gets you pretty far.

#4 ·
A small pair of real vice grips in a needle nose can easily substitute for a clutch lever or a damaged shift lever.
I carry a 4 and 6 inch pair.
Some 2 part epoxy like jb weld can fix a case or tank
2 long fully threaded side case bolts and a nut and washer for each. Then they can be used about anywhere using the nut to make the bolt shorter as needed.
My other EDC items are.
Lifestraw
Mylar blanket
Lighter
Cotton balls in tiny Vaseline jar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
A 25ft section of rope and another TW. Just ask me, the last two rides One TW and one XT225 were towed out. No way to repair in the back country. Towing with a TW can be done if the terrain is halfway decent.

I was towed on my TW for a few hours on slick rock and soft sand over hill and dale with a sidexside. Lost the coil for spark in the amerature housing. the 225 took a rock to the clutch housing denting it enough to touch the clutch basket. We pulled that out with a TW, it went well.

#6 ·
Okay, that's a start.
Being somewhat of an E. O. T. W. A. W. K. I. Kinda guy I tend to have everything (vehicles) I leave the house with stocked pretty well.
I could live out of my truck for a week.
Can Am,about three days.
I'm working on my TDub crash box now, I'll post picks and an explanation for each item I carry when I get it done.
TDub specific items is what I wonder about, master link is good, clutch lever, vice grips good idea.
Thanks
Sonny

#9 ·
Duct tape. If you can't fix it with duct tape, then you know it's really truly broken.

#11 ·
I added a small multi tool, zip ties and wire to my stock kit. I carry a flat repair kit (with inflator), decent first aid kit, tow strap, needle nose vise grips, lighter in my backpack. I just found a 420 master link in my new to me KDX tail bag, so my kit is completed. If I can't fix it with those tools, I need to get the truck. If I was going backcountry like I did when I lived in Oregon, I would add a firestarter and hand saw, as I often went places that would take more than a day to walk out of.

#12 ·
I don't take risks when I ride alone off road. If you ride to remote locations and your bike breaks... Can you walk out? Survival would be my priority. I'm sure this thread will give you a list of tools needed and I'm going to add, Pen and paper. If you have to abandon your bike leaving a note explaining your situation would help if someone happens across it.

Rick

#18 ·
Clutch lever? I don't need no stinking clutch lever. I can shift up without the clutch and if I need a low gear for that big hill coming up, I'll just have to anticipate and stop to get the bike in a lower gear before getting to the middle of the incline. Its been done. Spark plug, when was the last time I needed a spark plug in the field? Hell I hardly ever need one anywhere else either. Wire ties, a length of hose to syphon gas, a can of slime, maybe an air pump if you are far from a pickup. I focus on first aid and recovery, not mechanics. Just my perspective.

#20 ·
Usually it's the rider that breaks, long before the TW does... :p

#21 · (Edited)
After seeing this entertaining commercial, I'm willing to give Fiber Fix a try!

With only a 10 minute cure time, it might be the new JB Weld / Duct tape solution.
Looks like it could fix just about anything that breaks...and the entire 10 minutes you're waiting for it to cure, you can be chuckling inside about the commercial.

The heat tape is supposed to handle heat up to 850 degrees. I would think it could repair a cracked case cover?
I haven't tried it yet, but the roll cage demonstration has me sold!

#22 ·
I love it.

In addition to the firber fix, the commercial gave me an idea. Now I'm headed out to the shop to construct a roll cage for the TW.

#23 ·
That stuff has potential!!

Great Video!! :D

#24 ·
Must have bark busters. Nice ones. No need to carry levers then. Get a folding yz250f shifter. They fit right on no problem. Same bend. I think it was a 2004 model. $20 from outlaw racing, very nice. Tire irons and spare tubes. Zip ties!!!!! Quicksteel too. It will fix a hole in the case long enough to get you home. Some bikes live with the repair forever though. Medical wrap tape stuff. A six pack of _________. And a Malcom smith racing sticker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
might have hit a little close to home for a lot of people in my area "[duct tape] keeps the pieces together without actually making things work again... like my birth did with my parents marriage"
It just caught me off guard and I didn't know whether to laugh or laugh really hard. No offense to any "duct tape babies" out there.

#26 ·
I've been a boondocker all my life, don't really like the road if I don't have to ride on it.
I do a lot of high mountain desert riding, it's been mostly sidexsides or four wheelers and I know what to pack in the box for just about any emergency I can think of on them.
But a TDub is a bit different, along with the basic stay alive gear is there any mechanical bits I should pack just in case?
Clutch lever? Maybe. Anything else that if broke could leave me stranded?
Does anybody have a good tool list so I don't over do it?
Getting anxious for a ride but want to be properly prepared.
Thanks.
Sonny View attachment 45057
Shifter. I bent it once above Stanley in July and bent it back. Bent it last week above Strawberry down Willow Creek and when I bent it back it broke

#28 ·
Being new to riding and havent broken anything, I just go by what I hear. Someone told me that if I crashed and broke a lever that they are designed with a weak spot so that they break in a certain spot leaving you enough of a lever to shift and break well enough to get you where you are going. Was this bad info?

#29 ·
When you are lucky, it leaves you with some lever. It's best to put some guards on. One old trick you can do if you don't do it too much is cut through part way near the end somewhere with a hacksaw, so if it hits, it will break off there. But don't cut too much... :p Best to get handguards though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.