Rhodetrip's Ride Planning Thread
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Rhodetrip's Ride Planning Thread

Rhodetrip's Ride Planning Thread

We're going to ride from Jackass Gulch to Las Vegas, leaving the Admiralty on the 25th of September. We have to make Las Vegas by the 14th of November. We're planning on spending the 7th to the 9th at the 3rd Annual Russ Austin Ride at the Santa Margarita KOA.

I like to plan where I'm going using a Benchmark Atlas. I find Google maps handy to use to record a route and I can toggle back and forth with the satellite view to try to figure out the terrain and road conditions.
    I then draw the route in Garmin Basecamp and convert it to a track for use on my GPS. I also email the Google links to myself so I can find them again later. I figured I would post them here if anyone is interested and cares to comment. Neither Mrs Trip or I have ever been to these areas before.
    The maps are roughly equivalent to one days ride.

Map 1. Starts in Nyssa, OR, about 15-20 miles from the Admiral's. Ends in Burns, OR.
    https://goo.gl/maps/PFwz59h5ESS2
    The Admiral has been able to help out with some advice here. The area of concern I have is Dry Creek Cutoff which Benchmark considers a track. Garmin's routing is further south to Antelope Flat Rd which Benchmark shows as a 4wd road, a step up from a track. Google doesn't differentiate, but does show a time estimate of over 1 hr for a 15 mile span of Dry Creek. The satellite does not look bad, and I can see some large trucks half way. I think we'll give it a shot.

Map 2. Burns, OR to Prineville, OR. This day appears to be primarily paved. It looks like a pleasant area though, and I wanted to avoid the Central Oregon Hwy (rt20) that appears to be the only direct east-west route.
    https://goo.gl/maps/Dceq22x225z

Map 3. Prineville to Diamond Lake.
    Actually 2 maps. The first ends at Crescent Lake, a possible stopping point. My preference would be to ride further to put us closer to Crater Lake, which we will visit the following day. I'm not sure how much time to allow there, 2 to 3 hours maybe.
    https://goo.gl/maps/h8BGJwNWGzx

https://goo.gl/maps/64wjPqqPUv92

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Clever planning Jim. Really like the e-mail links with the daily maps idea. You two have the experience to make this work so I couldn't imagine adding anything of benefit other than a big thumbs up

I do recall it taking a seemingly long time to get up to Crater Lake and then back down. With gear on the bikes you won't likely be able to do more than enjoy the various pull-outs and lake overlooks from the caldera rim so a few hours actually above the lake seems like you are budgeting plenty of time.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    You two have the experience to make this work so I couldn't imagine adding anything of benefit other than a big thumbs up
    Well, I'm planning to follow your recommendations once we hit the Sierras.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

going to get fairly close to my neck of the woods here on the peninsula in Washington. If you would like to stop in this way, let us know, there are several folks that would like to join in I am sure. Beaches, long ones, mountains and great scenery.

Have a place for you to sleep and maintenance if need be.

Better see Randall if possible.
    Don't listen to me as I'ld just end up sending you two back and forth across a bunch of Sierra mountain passes linking HWY49 on the Pacific side and HWY395 on the inland side....88 west (Carson Pass), 49 south, 4 east ( Ebbett's Pass), 395 south, 120 west (Tioga Pass in Yosemite) , 41 south ( Glacier Point, Big Trees, Sequoia N.P., Kern River). Maybe send you two to Virginia City first.Rhodetrip map.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    going to get fairly close to my neck of the woods here on the peninsula in Washington. If you would like to stop in this way, let us know, there are several folks that would like to join in I am sure. Beaches, long ones, mountains and great scenery.

Have a place for you to sleep and maintenance if need be.
    Ha. ha. Thank you very much, Randall, but I think that's the wrong direction to get to Vegas.

I want to go around the back side of Mt Shasta and we want to go to Fall River Mills.
    plumbstraight and littletommy like this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    Ha. ha. Thank you very much, Randall, but I think that's the wrong direction to get to Vegas.

I want to go around the back side of Mt Shasta and we want to go to Fall River Mills.
    With all the traveling you two do I can't keep up with your adventures, just the same, the offer stands, and that goes for any Tduber out there.

Diamond Lake to Ashland.
    Map 4. https://goo.gl/maps/wED6UW4MMb12

Map 5a. https://goo.gl/maps/C1NyREB5JyN2

Ashland, Oregon to Plutos Cave.

Map 5b. https://goo.gl/maps/zoX3UV1Ai6P2

Pluto's Cave to Fall River Mills, CA.
    Last edited by Rhodetrip; 09-18-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hi Jim,

I got back at 8:30 p.m. tonight from the "Rhodetrip Recon" of Dry Creek Cutoff and Antelope Flat. I made a loop ride of these two routes. As you know they connect on Crowley Rd. & Shumway Cutoff Junction. I am sore as hell. I hate Lava Rock! I took a pill to help the pain go away!

I'm leaving again in the a.m. to go camping and riding with daughter #1 and grandson in a different area. I will post up the video of the road conditions Monday or Tuesday.

I think I can safely say Dry Creek Cutoff is out. When I mentioned to you before about it being bumpy I lied. It's extremely bumpy with lots lava rock. In small dose's it wouldn't be that bad but the lava rock is relentless. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed myself, but with you too being on a time schedule it takes to long. Did I mention it was extremely bumpy!

The Antelope track is much much better but it has a section 5-10 miles which is rough. Again some lava rock but not as bad as Dry Creek Cutoff and more powder dust. Not deep but you do have to stay straight and slow. I rode this reverse of what you would. I'm going to see if there is a better way through this section. I was on a more main road and missed the turn. This main road looks like it links up to Mud Flat somewhere. I'll have to do more Google Earth Recon to see what I can come up with.

Again, I will post the video early next week.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Your crossing some of the very best Oregon has to offer. Have a great run and just pack a good long rope. Nothing to worry about if you break down. Just harness up on of our Wild and Majestic High Plains Horses and get ready for take off. You'll get out of anything and surely into something unexpected.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links