• 3 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By Wild Bill
  • 4 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 4 Post By Gerry
  • 3 Post By admiral

Thread: Birch Creek Wash - Oreana

Birch Creek Wash - Oreana

Day after riding the Rhodetrips Recon Route I slowed the pace down. I went camping with my oldest daughter & her son (grandson #2 for me).

Mrs. Admiral was up north with our other two daughters and I thought it would be a good time to ride in Snake country. Mrs. Admiral is terrified of snakes!

Daughter wasn't able to make it until early evening so I went riding by myself. In keeping with the solo riding tactics, I decided to stick to the 2-track roads...NOT!
    Not really sure if this is a proper single track trail, a cow path, or both, but it's what I was on near Doyle Mtn.

Pleasant enough trail

But it eventually petered out. Fun while it lasted!

In the name of un-safety, later on I found another easy single track to ride.

Well, I thought it was gonna be easy

I managed to find the one and only heinous part of the trail

Didn't make it up on my first attempt

Eventually I made it through, went around some hills and dropped back down into the same drainage as I started

TW was doing good.

Once in the creek drainage, things started to get interesting

Gosh darn sticks look like snakes

Brush guards got a workout

Creek canyon we keep widening and narrowing throughout

Plenty of toe breaking rocks as the creek narrows. Good thing for protective footwear. I banged my toe on a rock and it just bounced off with nothing to show for it but my word I did it.

No snakes around the bend I hope. Going slow but love it!

Feel like I'm going down the creek without a paddle

Glad there ain't any rushing water in the creek

OK, story time. About where I'm standing I rode up some ledge steps. Once on top I stopped and in slow motion lost my balance and tipped over a rock. I kept ahold of the handle bars so I wouldn't tumble down the embankment which was only a couple feet but it had rocks at the bottom. I turned the TW off on the way over, that's how slow this "tip over" was. TW tipped upside down and began dripping (pouring) out gas. I quickly jumped (crawled) to my feet and got the TW upright. By the way, it's kind of hard to "upright" and upside down TW.

Anyway, I rested for 15 minutes or so and tried to figure out if I could get the TW back on the trail or ride the creek bed until reaching the trail downstream a tad. Creek bed looked intimidating but getting the TW back on the path by myself seemed impossible so I pretended to be in a rodeo and rode down the creek bed. All better now as seen in the picture at the bottom of the trail & creek bed. End of story time!

Finally made it out to the sandy wash. Sure glad I put the Cerros on. It did great it the loose sand.

Daughter and grandson were waiting at camp when I returned.

to be continued
    Fred, sub251, littletommy and 9 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That hurt just reading it, glad your ok. Another reason to not ride alone, that's what I do all the time, I just had to say it.

Early the next morning with grandson stealing a chair. Wish I had "footy pajama's"!

We rode up the wash and visited a pretty neat geological feature. Don't worry helmet wearing police folks, my grandson did have a helmet. It's just my daughter decided to not take hers off.

Looking out towards the wash

We then rode over to an old missile launch site.

Place was disassemble, and abandoned as the test firing of any missiles here was cancelled.

Old Doyle Ranch

Rode up to a nearby abandoned mine

No idea what they mined here. Maybe tin!

Maybe not a "Superfund" cleanup place, but the miners left behind junk.

TW by a trench

With the ladder present, maybe there is/was a shaft in the middle of the trench

If there was it's caved in now

I was hoping the road would connect to the other side of this creek drainage but the map showed the trail deadened. Now I know why. A ranch. Spivey Ranch I believe.

All in all I had a great 3 days of riding. It was well worth the Tylenol I needed after the weekend!

End of the weekend!
    Last edited by admiral; 09-26-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    That hurt just reading it, glad your ok. Another reason to not ride alone, that's what I do all the time, I just had to say it.
    Oh, I didn't get hurt. Normally not much of a solo rider but if there is a bad decision to make, I'm your man! Not really!

Looks like a great ride. I'm glad you made it back ok.
    I'm sure the little guy in the foot pajamas would miss his grampy if something happened
    SanDue, admiral and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    Looks like a great ride. I'm glad you made it back ok.
    I'm sure the little guy in the foot pajamas would miss his grampy if something happened
    Thanks to a generous forum member, I have a SPOT in case I end up in a roadside ditch or dry creek bed!

Only real danger was heat related injuries as it was mid to upper 80's. Not hot if you're sitting on the porch drinking a cold one, but plenty warm when working hard on a creek bed trail!

Your gonna love Moab!
    grewen, Wild Bill, SanDue and 1 others like this.

Impressive TW adventuring as usual. That Cerros does look like the perfect rear tire for mixed riding terrain.
    admiral, SanDue and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Great ride report Kris. I like those jammies as well. Looking at some of that rocky single track I was going to suggest you were getting some great practice should you ever head South West for a Joemama ride; then I saw that your kickstand held the bike in place on grade. Joe's ride was pretty strict when it came to the laws of gravity; if you are not moving forward, the bike is lying in the dirt. You just can't fool with Mother Nature, or Joe.....
    SanDue, admiral, Wild Bill and 1 others like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Great ride report Kris. I like those jammies as well. Looking at some of that rocky single track I was going to suggest you were getting some great practice should you ever head South West for a Joemama ride; then I saw that your kickstand held the bike in place on grade. Joe's ride was pretty strict when it came to the laws of gravity; if you are not moving forward, the bike is lying in the dirt. You just can't fool with Mother Nature, or Joe.....

But so I fit in from a distance, I did fall over while at a dead stop. It was oh so slow to the point of feeling like slow motion. Thankfully, I didn't get myself into a pickle!!!

I did have some crash damage to repair before proceeding. My mirrors got re-adjusted by mother earth and the ziptie on the right side of my front fender broke. Fender was awobblin. I had some spare ziptie's with me so it was a quick repair. Kind of thought at the time the front fender was equipment with a break-away device so not to damage it. Turned out that way.

I sure wish my video camera was working. I was inadvertently chasing an owl down this canyon. It would fly about 25 yards downstream so to speak, and when I would get close it would fly 25 yards further. This repeated several times before the canyon finally widened out and me and the owl went our separate ways. I try not to disturb the critters but couldn't avoid this encounter as there was only one way out for me. Plus, the owl did have other choices of escape should it wanted to! Maybe it was interested in what I was doing, who knows!
    littletommy, Wild Bill and grewen like this.

Sponosred Links