Bear/Cuprum, ID - Lakes, Lookouts, Viewpoints, Mines and Hell's Canyon
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Bear/Cuprum, ID - Lakes, Lookouts, Viewpoints, Mines and Hell's Canyon

Bear/Cuprum, ID - Lakes, Lookouts, Viewpoints, Mines and Hell's Canyon

It was a good weekend to ride.

We rode from about 8,000 ft. down to 1,550 ft. Roughly 6,500-foot difference.

Still going through pictures and video's, but thought I'd post a couple teasers.

Fall Mtn. colors were captivating.

I'm speechless. There are a lot of words to explain what we see and enjoy, I just don't have any to add!

Yep, good times.

to be continued
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I just want to thank The Admiral for finally letting me be in the lead!
    Normally I'm in the back, trying not to choke on dust.. He thinks I'm so far back because I can't keep up so he goes slower which makes me go slower....but when I'm in the front I can go as fast as I want and he can choke on my dust! Apparently I CAN drive a lot faster than he thought I could. Giggle

That's a pretty amazing area. I was elk hunting just east of there and really wanted to get over into that country but couldn't make it. Traveling Forest Service roads takes a wee bit longer than running the pavement into the area. If you made it up to Black Lake, what was the campground like there. From the maps, it looks like a very beautiful area.
    admiral, Wild Bill and SanDue like this.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BkCntryCrwlr View Post
    That's a pretty amazing area. I was elk hunting just east of there and really wanted to get over into that country but couldn't make it. Traveling Forest Service roads takes a wee bit longer than running the pavement into the area. If you made it up to Black Lake, what was the campground like there. From the maps, it looks like a very beautiful area.
    The photo's we took are mainly of the lake. We rode to the S.E. by the vault toilet and a few camp spots. I'll pull a few photo's from the video I had rolling when we rode in and out. Other folks were camped at the north end but we didn't go there with all the vehicle parked there. I think the south end we were at has the trails which lead up to the old mine. I read the townsite was at the north end.

Briefly spoke with a couple guys who were camped there and hunting in the area. They mentioned "goat" so I suppose they may have been hunting something other than Elk or Deer. Just a guess though.

And your maps didn't lie, very beautiful.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mrs. Admiral: In the lead, up front or on top we like it all. You go girl. When my wife and I are riding on the street she wants me to lead, but she is and always has been a safe car driver. When she sees a yellow light if she can stop she always does even if very quick. I am surprised she hasn't been rear ended. Any way she follows me on the motorcycle @ 3-5? car lengths back and we are always getting seperated. I have to pull over and wait for the light to change. We have had some discussions about it and finally she is following at a safe distance and to the side but not so far that we don't go through the same lights together. That also keeps someone from pulling out in between us and hitting her. Plus two of us riding closer together is easier to see so we don't get hit. On the dirt I don't mind her leading sometimes exactly for what you said, it's only fair.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

The photos that you folks post just keep getting better and better. Thank you so much.
    Keep it up!!
    admiral, Mrs. Admiral and SanDue like this.

Thanks for the photo of Black Lake, was just curious about camping there and if "The Wife" would like it. She is much more, shall we say "selective", than I am about where we camp.

I was glassing the Smith Mountain Lookout from about two canyons away, reminded me of the Great Pyramid with the lookout sitting at the point. Must be one hell of a view from up there! Would get pretty exciting in the middle of a lightening storm, might have to change my Depends a time or two!
    admiral and SanDue like this.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Mrs. Admiral: In the lead, up front or on top we like it all. You go girl. When my wife and I are riding on the street she wants me to lead, but she is and always has been a safe car driver. When she sees a yellow light if she can stop she always does even if very quick. I am surprised she hasn't been rear ended. Any way she follows me on the motorcycle @ 3-5? car lengths back and we are always getting seperated. I have to pull over and wait for the light to change. We have had some discussions about it and finally she is following at a safe distance and to the side but not so far that we don't go through the same lights together. That also keeps someone from pulling out in between us and hitting her. Plus two of us riding closer together is easier to see so we don't get hit. On the dirt I don't mind her leading sometimes exactly for what you said, it's only fair.

On one hand, I'm not exactly sure Mrs. Admiral in the lead is a good thing. Who is it who hasn't had a speeding ticket? Oh yeah, that would be me!

On the other hand, she led for a short bit in the Black Hills. My instructions, as much as she will listen to me, are to stop at the next intersection and then we'll proceed to the next and so forth! In the Black Hills, it was easy enough to find a loop trail back to the place you intended to turn!

...but truth be told. All my career I've had to be the leader. I'm actually enjoying just tooling along lagging behind. Just not too far as it may cause the initiation of a search & rescue!fpalm.gif

Day 1.

We take off from camp

and ride through the Bear, Id area.

It's so friendly! I suppose frustration has led to anger which is translated by us as unfriendly. I understand and we obey and ride through Bear very slowly!

Black Lake & Smith Mtn. lookout our are first destinations on the day.

History. Though we didn't see any remains, the Forest Service has placed a lot of these signs in the area to inform us of some of the local history. Without this sign, I wouldn't have known.

On the road towards Smith Mtn. L.O. & Black Lake we are alerted to Placer Basin & Placer Basin Mine.

We're probably seeing the remains of the 1930's era.

As we continue riding Smith Mtn. L.O. comes into view.

This picture of Mrs. Admiral I posted earlier is zoomed in on the road below the lookout.

to be continued

Quote Originally Posted by old w/2 many guns & bikes View Post
    Dang Kris; didn't your mother teach you not to talk about a woman's age?

I probably should clarify eh?
    Cement footings from 1930's era, not the motorcycle helmet!
    littletommy and SanDue like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links