Parma Play Area-Dual in the Sand
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Parma Play Area-Dual in the Sand

Parma Play Area-Dual in the Sand

My first ride in the sand with my new SR241 front tire and my Ceros ATV rear tire.

Couple quick thoughts since the tire changes.

Pavement: With my stock front and Ceros rear tire, I felt like I had to push the TW over into a turn. It was nothing difficult and I became adjusted to this. I thought the cause of this was because of a flatter profile of the Ceros over the stock rear. Then I put the SR241 on. Now it rolls and turns effortlessly on pavement. Guess the issue was the stock front tire and not the Ceros.

Two Track Dirt: With the stock front/Ceros rear combo, the bike would grab and flick the bike when going over some mild ruts. This has almost completely gone away after I put on the SR241. I will admit I need to ride many more miles off-road to validate this finding. Much confidence now. Guess the issue was the stock front tire.

Sand: The Ceros is great. It gets me up places I've never been able to in the past. Love it! SR241: While I know I need more miles of riding to get the full perspective, the fact I wasn't even thinking or concerned with riding in the sand means it must have worked well. With the stock front I had to pay more attention to the front tire when riding in any depth of sand. On this day I didn't have anything which caused me to direct my thoughts to the front tire. Guess the issue was the stock front tire!

The front tire was mainly a non-factor as I was mostly climbing the sand hills and not riding in flat sand.

However, the Ceros tire hooked up very well and I was able to make it up hills I've previously ridden easier, and attempt new hills I've either failed or first time up.

Some of you folks who've been around the forum for a while know some of my past attempts with the stock tires. Lets just say there were some "moments".

I did do a little 2 tracking on the way to the Play Area.

Had to reroute a time or two to avoid some rain showers

With the Ceros on the rear, I could tell there was a huge improvement in uphill traction. I was able to easily climb some hill I've previously barely made it up using the stock tires

And to my surprise I was able to make it up some new hills I was afraid of trying in the past and one hill I failed with the stocker.

My next test will have to be at the Weiser Sand Dunes where I can really put the test to the new SR241 in deeper flatter sand.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Upon seeing "Duel in the Sand" I envisioned Mrs Admiral and the big guy astride their TWs having at each other with jousting lances.
    Little did I know it would be such a good tire review accompanied by mighty pretty pictures and a great demonstration video. Viewers can really tell when the Cerros starts slipping on the really steep stuff. The stock TrailWing often will founder, digging it's own grave in these conditions while the Cerros's seems to continue to make forward progress. Neat.
    Got to admit soil moisture looked perfect. I imagine that, along with Georgie the Wonder Dog on the back, helped with traction.

P.S. - the new tire combination with extended fuel range is gonna be killer in Moab2017. I'm just worried we'll all have a hard time keeping up with Lori & Wilbur.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-20-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Upon seeing "Duel in the Sand" I envisioned Mrs Admiral and the big guy astride their TWs having at each other with jousting lances.
    Little did I know it would be such a good tire review accompanied by mighty pretty pictures and a great demonstration video. Viewers can really tell when the Cerros starts slipping on the really steep stuff. The stock TrailWing often will founder, digging it's own grave in these conditions while the Cerros's seems to continue to make forward progress. Neat.
    Got to admit soil moisture looked perfect. I imagine that, along with Georgie the Wonder Dog on the back, helped with traction.

P.S. - the new tire combination with extended fuel range is gonna be killer in Moab2017. I'm just worried we'll all have a hard time keeping up with Lori & Wilbur.
    Yeah, the TW34 would eventually spin-to-dig a hole. Ceros breaks into a spin but with enough traction to continue forward. While it would have been possible to gain a little more forward momentum if I would have started the hills at a faster speed, it's nice to know what it will do at the slower speed I started.

Hard to explain, but generally the sand was more firm with recent rains but it didn't take much so experience the loose stuff. This by far was the best I've ever ridden through the bobsled run. Both tires hooked up pretty well. In the past the stock front would push and slide and stock rear would spin more than grab. Would still make it but it was much easier. In one steep climb just after the bobsled run I went up easily where a couple years ago I struggled and got bucked off that one time.

No Georgie for traction anymore. Too hard on her.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

After ALL these years you only JUST changed out the OEM front ????!!!!
    Tweaker, jtomelliott49 and admiral like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

He had a "death wish" lol. What pressure did you run?
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Ahh, For the sand...(sand being my thing as it were) the Duro has been my Angel among the impossible.

IMG_8250 (1).JPG

Unstoppable.

By the way - what are those side gas tank bags that you have there??? MIGHTY handy I say! I do like those!!!!!
    Last edited by Skin Walker; 10-20-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    - SW

2006 TW
    1998 TW
    1996 TW
    1993 TW
    1985 BW200
    1987 B200E
    1979 Honda Z50
    ..and 1 Chihuahua

Beautiful terrain. Looks like a lot of fun.
    jtomelliott49 and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Walker View Post
    Ahh, For the sand...(sand being my thing as it were) the Duro has been my Angel among the impossible.

IMG_8250 (1).JPG

Unstoppable.

By the way - what are those side gas tank bags that you have there??? MIGHTY handy I say! I do like those!!!!!
    I've had them so long I do not remember what brand they are. When I googled "Mad Dog ATV Tank Bag" I got this in the search which looks darn near the same. NEW ATV Logic Motorcycle Tank Bag BLACK | eBay

They are pretty beat up as I'm pretty hard on tank bags by getting them ripped at by brush, spilling gas on them etc. When I get home I'll look to see if there is a brand name tag on them anymore. They are completely worn out and need to be replaced. You can't see it in the pictures, but I've got rips & holes repaired with zipties. Works so I keep using them!
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    He had a "death wish" lol. What pressure did you run?
    Both tires are at 10 psi. for off-road.

I bump the psi to about 18 in each when on pavement. When I ride a combo pavement/off-road I'm somewhere in-between. 12-15 psi (ish).
    jtomelliott49 and Tweaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    After ALL these years you only JUST changed out the OEM front ????!!!!
    The short answer is I was wearing out the original front tire before I swapped on my 2015 TW, so they are about 1-1/2 years old. The knobs have finally started to cup a little so I decided to change it during some downtime due to rain.

However, on my original TW and now on Mrs. Admiral's TW I have used SR244's for a few years. Wore out the 5.10x18 SR44 and replaced it with a 4.60x18 SR244 I bought from Mel at Moab 2015.

I have a new on the rim stock front I will use on pavement and forest service roads rides and a spare stock grewen gave me which I will use for the same purpose. The only surface I hate the stock front tire is in sand. Well, despite what you think I hate riding in mud no matter what tire I have on. Really I do!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links