Last ride of the season
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By plumbstraight
  • 2 Post By joeband
  • 2 Post By Rhodetrip

Thread: Last ride of the season

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    It was simply a beautiful Equinox day in Fairbanks, so I decided to do my favorite fall ride up to Murphy Dome some 20 miles or so north of Fairbanks.

First stopped at a local watering hole for some gas, Ivory Jacks

Rode about 15 miles to the end of the pavement

At the top is an Air Force radar

Looking north to the Minto Flats

This moose had a little problem with me using his trail

But finally he gave way, this isn't always the case.

The road got a lil rough.

On the way home I stopped by the University of Alaska Large Animal Research Facilty to visit the muskox

As I see the fall colors on the trees, sometimes I forget it gets colder up yonder much earlier than down here. Though we are having some up and down temps here, it's gonna hover around 90 degrees here this weekend. Of course if I head up into the mountains that's a different story, much cooler.

Looks like a pretty cool riding area. Kinda neat seeing the moose. A bear crossed the road in front of me one time, and have seen a few deer and elk, but it's a rare event. I guess they smell me coming.

To bad it gets so cold up their as to limit your riding season so much, cause it looks like such a nice area to ride. I do have one request from you though, if you get a chance, could you get an autograph from Lisa on IRT for me. Maybe you could wait for her at Coldfoot! Kidding of course!

Thanks for sharing and have a safe winter.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Very nice place to ride. To bad the season is so short!

Ronnydog

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    I do have one request from you though, if you get a chance, could you get an autograph from Lisa on IRT for me. Maybe you could wait for her at Coldfoot!

Actually the terminal is just a few miles from our house, she isn't exactly a stranger in the community, however I've never seen any of them. Rode up to the Arctic Circle on the haul road on a bike, not a TW, twice and drove the haul road, Dalton Hwy, all the way to Prudhoe Bay once in a motorhome and beat the crap out of it. It isn't quite the dangerous endeavor as indicated on the show.

I have driven for Carlile two different years when I wasn't operating a crane or dozer. couple of years back I was running fish from Anchorage to Blaine, Minnesota. My co driver and I were backing into a resort to get a nice meal in N dakota when a car came to a screeching halt right in front of us. The fellow and his gal hopped out and asked if we were Ice Road Truckers as they recognized the truck. We said yes, the gal came to me with her hand out and I asked her what she wanted. She says I want to meet you, I laughed and said, lady, in alaska we don't shake hands with ladies, we give them bear hugs. I put my arm around her, swung her around a 360, gave her a kiss on the cheek and sat her down. She said, OH MY GOD, you really are one of those guys aren't you. She ran back to car for a piece of paper to get an autograph. Guess she thought she had been kissed by a movie star. Just too funny.

dstock, I used to make the run from
    anchorage to cantwell and trade trailers on that wide spot just after crossing the tracks. Saw a lot of animals and love the trip.
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 12-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    I have driven for Carlile two different years when I wasn't operating a crane or dozer. couple of years back I was running fish from Anchorage to Blaine, Minnesota. My co driver and I were backing into a resort to get a nice meal in N dakota when a car came to a screeching halt right in front of us. The fellow and his gal hopped out and asked if we were Ice Road Truckers as they recognized the truck. We said yes, the gal came to me with her hand out and I asked her what she wanted. She says I want to meet you, I laughed and said, lady, in alaska we don't shake hands with ladies, we give them bear hugs. I put my arm around her, swung her around a 360, gave her a kiss on the cheek and sat her down. She said, OH MY GOD, you really are one of those guys aren't you. She ran back to car for a piece of paper to get an autograph. Guess she thought she had been kissed by a movie star. Just too funny.

dstock, I used to make the run from
    anchorage to cantwell and trade trailers on that wide spot just after crossing the tracks. Saw a lot of animals and love the trip.
    Haven't seen dstock on the forum for a long time, hope he's ok. Can't remember his real forum screen name anymore.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself on my trip to Alaska couple summer's ago. This is just north of Fairbanks. You'll probably recognize the spot. I think there was a gas station here or sumpin like that. Two drivers were talking, but I photochopped them out. Have to admit I'm an Ice Road Trucker fan. But if we meet, no bear hugs, sore back!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

No hugs, ok lol. I did enjoy running up there. Had to come down and see to my mother. She came down with colon cancer and passed a year ago October. found out I had it the next March. Thankfully it was caught in time. It was the size of a navel orange in just 4 yrs. I had had checkups along the way.

folks, if you are over fifty get checked out. If it is in your family and you are over forty get checked out. I was so lucky to have had them find it before it got out of hand. It was contained in the colon so no cemo or radiation. Will have a checkup in Mar 14 to see if I am clear. Hopefully will go back to work then.
    joeband and Rhodetrip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    folks, if you are over fifty get checked out. If it is in your family and you are over forty get checked out. I was so lucky to have had them find it before it got out of hand. It was contained in the colon so no cemo or radiation. Will have a checkup in Mar 14 to see if I am clear. Hopefully will go back to work then.
    i teach high school and always talk about it during our anatomy unit... imagine telling 16 yr olds to let someone peak in your pooper! i say "whats more embarrassing, a snake up the chute, or crapping in a bag? or worse."

i lost a dear colleague to colon cancer, at 49, it's no joking matter.

way off topic! beautiful pics of alaska. i bet fairbanks isn't as bright and sunny today...
    Last edited by joeband; 12-23-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Rhodetrip and r80rt like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post

i lost a dear colleague to colon cancer, at 49, it's no joking matter.

way off topic! ...
    Yeah, but it bears repeating. Too many people die from a cancer they can successfully treat if its caught in time.
    r80rt and plumbstraight like this.

Sponosred Links