TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

November Camp-and-Ride

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  littletommy 
#1 ·
Recent warm spell melting most of October's snowpack had me try another high sierra camping trip with Betty Boop. My goal was the massive but remote Western States single track trail system, site of hundred mile foot and horse races. I never even made it close!:p Did have this nice but damp scouting ride the first afternoon. Lots of snow-melt swollen creeks, patches of snow and just a few other tracks. Never saw or heard another soul out there. My campsite was a naked shelf of rock on an abutment overlooking some really steep canyons well suited for sunsets and moonlit hikes.

#3 ·
Awesome as usual, Fred! I really have to make it down there to ride with you.

#4 · (Edited)
Next morning I rode back to town for some stove fuel and a taste of civilization. Rode around Donnor Pass and the ski resorts there hoping to take the historic Southern Pacific avalanche sheds and tunnels that begin in the Sugar Bowl parking lot. Closed now so I did the next best thing....Rainbow Bridge down to Donner Lake and then back!

Yes, could see signs I was back in civilized California

Still beautiful and fantastic dual sport riding.

#5 · (Edited)
Then I rode through the Royal Gorge network of cross country ski trails that run along the sierra crest, one of those places where all the signs are nailed 15 feet high up in the trees.:p ( The actual Royal Gorge lies many thousands of feet below on the North Fork of the American River by where I rode the first day)

Visited a few lakes and just knew I must be in California because of the lakeside wood fueled hot tub... "Fer sure Dude, it's organic and carbon neutral" .

Nice views of Devil's Peak, miles and miles of cross country ski trails

Found this clever ski and horse friendly anti-vehicle gate.

#6 ·
Second night was almost a repeat of the first....golden sunsets, puffy clouds overhead, even brighter moonlight.
I figured the far off Urban Borealis on the horizon after dark was Sacramento city lights bouncing off low clouds and was most likely normal, not fires from anti-Trump rioters.:)

#8 ·
Nice fall camp trip Fred. The name and even the bridge looks like a Rainbow Bridge up here in ID. Just crossed our version of the rainbow bridge yesterday on the way home. It's not as curved as the one you rode across. Love the camp spot. I'm guessing the "fair weather" campers were nowhere to be seen and you had the place to yourself. Very cool!

P.S. I think you could ride through the special gate!:p

#9 ·

Fred - you share some amazing pictures. This one really emphasizes why I try to get out into the hills as often as possible. Thanks for sharing!

#10 ·
For some reason the woods were really deserted in the high country, something to do with the snow, cold and pervasive puddles?:)The only people I saw once I left pavement were two young lady joggers taking a break 6 miles in at a lake @ yuppie Royal Gorge on the second day. Wearing designer spandex ,diamond tennis bracelets and what seemed to be a 3 carat engagement ring these upscale babes were likely trophy wives of Google execs enjoying a little time off while hubbies are back in Silicone Valley chasing stock options. Many neighborhoods I wouldn't recommend jogging with +$60,000 with of jewelry flashing but up here I suppose those fit gals could have taken off like deer through the woods had any scumbags given them trouble. They pointed me in right direction to find trail to Devil's Peak. Nice people in equally nice country.

#11 ·
So here is a low resolution quick video from the Royal Gorge cross country ski area. I really liked the hot tub built so that fire or hot coals from the adjacent fire pit or wood stove can be placed under the bathtub. During a healthy water year the lake level is right up to the tree line just feet from the tub making soaking in the tub an inviting proposition. This November I think there was more water on the roads than in the lake.:rolleyes:

#19 ·
More Gerry theme. You do tell your lovely bride where you are riding don't you?
Yes, my girl usually gets a xerox of Forest Service map with my intended camp and riding locations high-lighted. Once afield I try to give cell call, or text updates to her fine confirming locations. For example I sent her an update each day that got uploaded when Betty and I would periodically surface high enough to get some cell coverage.
And of courser now I have Gerry's Generation 1 Spot ELB sitting safely in a drawer back home, need to activate that puppy now that I have it.
Think Spot or Delorme is money well spent. Perhaps of interest to some, the PLB that I purchased a few months ago for $225 is now being offered for $199. A much stronger 6 watt signal as compared to milliwatts for the Spot or Delorme....... http://www.thegpsstore.com/McMurdo-FastFind-220-PLB-P4932.aspx
Since I don't have anyone to let know where I'm going, I just leave a trail of donut crumbs behind me, then someone will find me for sure!! :p

Reactions: admiral
#14 · (Edited)
Believe Gerry is rightfully concerned I may end up in a shallow grave and get planted next to these old timers in the Graniteville cemetery.

On my last day I rode down to the sleepy old ex-mining town of Washington on the Yuba River then followed a meandering wagon road the '49's used to haul freight to the mining camps. Since those horse drawn wagons don't like steep grades the road contoured along following every twist and bend in the hillsides above the river. I ended up at the massive mining hydraulic site of Malaokov Diggings where ancient paleo-river beds were washed down through sluices. The incredible volumes of waste rock and gravels washed downstream caused massive environmental damage ultimately filling up a large portion of the San Francisco Bay resulting in the much smaller bay seen today. This form of mining was outlawed in California in the 1870's.
Anyways from the diggings I climbed thousands of feet up to Graniteville where surface water was collected and channeled through numerous ditches and flumes to collect and channel the water down to the hydraulic mines. So all three places visited share a common past of California's bustling boom and bust gold mining era but are very sleepy hamlets today.
The roads were very easy, smooth and wide...well suited for a Group Ride. It was fun blasting through piles of oak leaves littering the roads while enjoying the warmth of lower elevations.

#16 ·
Yes, my girl usually gets a xerox of Forest Service map with my intended camp and riding locations high-lighted. Once afield I try to give cell call, or text updates to her fine confirming locations. For example I sent her an update each day that got uploaded when Betty and I would periodically surface high enough to get some cell coverage.
And of courser now I have Gerry's Generation 1 Spot ELB sitting safely in a drawer back home, need to activate that puppy now that I have it.

#17 ·
Think Spot or Delorme is money well spent. Perhaps of interest to some, the PLB that I purchased a few months ago for $225 is now being offered for $199. A much stronger 6 watt signal as compared to milliwatts for the Spot or Delorme....... http://www.thegpsstore.com/McMurdo-FastFind-220-PLB-P4932.aspx

#18 ·
What a great trip! I have ridden all the roads you showed on my street bike many times. The washington hotel is one my favorite rides. Nice old hotel from the mid 1800s with great food.... never even thought about all the off road opportunities in that are in that area! Let me know when you do a group ride. I live in Camino and will be there for sure! This is my first dual sport and look forward to these kinds of rides. It's been street bike and quadding for me - so much nicer to ride to the trails vs haul your machine to trails - thanks for sharing. Donzo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.