Any Chicagoland riders?
Close

I feel like I'm wasting my TW taking it only on the streets around Chicagoland, and am looking for some back roads or gravel or something that I can LEGALLY ride on. Looking at Google Maps, I see that there are some roads (old industry and railroad) that seem to start off of the I-55 and Harlem Ave in Forest View, and it eventually turns into Lawndale Ave., and then after LaGrange Road, seems to turn into a dirt 2-track trail of some kind. I don't know if it's legal to ride on that, but if it is, I would like to tour that area for some fun. Anyhow, had anyone ridden this? IS it legal? Any other places I can check out in the Chicagoland area? I know there are very little places to ride, but I am not going to be able to go to West Virginia this year, and possibly not next year the way work has been, so if I can spend a Saturday here and there touring some local areas, that would be great.

Oh, and I don't have a trailer to tow this bike yet, so I'd have to ride wherever I go.

Thanks all,

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Judgeing by the number of replys to Dan's thread I guess there are not many TW riders's in Chicago. I'm in Joliet right by Chicagoland Speedway about 30 miles SW of Chicago. Lots of gravel roads around here looking for dirt trails and someone to ride them with. Email me at [email protected] if you want to ride or wrench.

Niel AKA Luxlogs
    There is no distinctly native American criminal class...save Congress..

-- Mark Twain

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.

-- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-- Thomas Jefferson

I live 100 miles south of Chicago, in Hoopeston. But I spend my winter in Quartzsite, AZ as we are retired.

I saw the TW first in AZ, and when we got home a couple of years ago went to Yamaha dealers, and no one carried them. Ended up getting a used one 150 miles from home, and then bought a 2nd one here in AZ.

Never see many of them anywhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my TW taking it only on the streets around Chicagoland, and am looking for some back roads or gravel or something that I can LEGALLY ride on. Looking at Google Maps, I see that there are some roads (old industry and railroad) that seem to start off of the I-55 and Harlem Ave in Forest View, and it eventually turns into Lawndale Ave., and then after LaGrange Road, seems to turn into a dirt 2-track trail of some kind. I don't know if it's legal to ride on that, but if it is, I would like to tour that area for some fun. Anyhow, had anyone ridden this? IS it legal? Any other places I can check out in the Chicagoland area? I know there are very little places to ride, but I am not going to be able to go to West Virginia this year, and possibly not next year the way work has been, so if I can spend a Saturday here and there touring some local areas, that would be great.

Oh, and I don't have a trailer to tow this bike yet, so I'd have to ride wherever I go.

Thanks all,

Dan

I'm in Chicago too! NW burbs... id be game for some urban exploring when the weather gets a little warmer

I'm in the kane county area. I wanna go to the cliffs at some point

Wow, kind of surprised this post was revived. I thought I was the only Chicago nut with a dual-sport. Anyhow, you all come up with a time and place, and I'm game.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Hello, just bought a 08 TW recently and have been trying to look for places to ride. I live near 355 and 55 (Bolingbrook - Naperville - Downers Grove) area. I know its November but if anybody is up for a ride now or in the spring I would love to go find some trails..

Hey Galacius29, I just left you a post in the buying/selling section. Nice bike. My work has an office in Bolingbrook and when they send me out there, I usually ride. Usually the cruiser so I can use I55, but have taken the TW out there a few times. I'm in Justice, so I'm not far from you. Some time next riding season, let's hook up. Anywhere around you interesting to ride, or is it just the same concrete jungle? Either way, I'm up for it. Besides, I hardly ride the TW, so that gives me a good excuse to do so.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Yea I usually ride my other bike longer distances but there are some nice roads around me but nothing off roading that I know.. Actually I never really cared to look before I got the TW so I'll keen an eye out for dirt roads..

Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    Hey Galacius29, I just left you a post in the buying/selling section. Nice bike. My work has an office in Bolingbrook and when they send me out there, I usually ride. Usually the cruiser so I can use I55, but have taken the TW out there a few times. I'm in Justice, so I'm not far from you. Some time next riding season, let's hook up. Anywhere around you interesting to ride, or is it just the same concrete jungle? Either way, I'm up for it. Besides, I hardly ride the TW, so that gives me a good excuse to do so.

Dan

I have my TW loaded on the trailer, and as soon as this weather breaks we are heading to AZ for the rest of the winter and most of the Spring.

Sponosred Links