My ride experiences today
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: My ride experiences today

My ride experiences today

So I woke up this morning with the itch to ride and try out my new tw in the mountains. One of the reasons I bought the tw was because I wanted a bike with a low seat height to ride single track and in the mountains.

The area is called bee canyon above Hemet and it leads to a bunch of different places including idylwild. One of these trails is 4S21 which absolutely killed me last year when I rode my KTM 500 EXC. I swore I'd never do it again. It's really steep, rutted, with off camber climbs and just plain miserable.

Well fast forward a year and trail has gotten way worse. But since I went all that way I just went ahead took the tw up it. I couldn't believe it, that little tw climbs like a mountain goat. I dropped to 1st, stuck my feet out, and easily climbed areas that I'd never dream of doing on my ktm. The rear tire never slipped or slid and the front shinko 241 felt like it was glued ground. My biggest concern was how on earth I was going to be able to get back down all that stuff to bee canyon trail again. But of course it was a piece of cake on the tw. Man I really love this little bike, it may very well be the best bike I've ever owned and I've owned a lot.

I also realized today that the tw is pretty good stock except a few small things. My rear was really sore after this ride so I'm going to have to get a seat concepts seat this week. Next the pegs are to small so I'm going to have to get ims or similar, and I need a fender bag. Some of the other changes / upgrades that I've done and love are-

• Shinko 241 front tire. This tire is worlds better (to me) than the stock tire and the kenda 270. It tracked way better in sand and loose stuff and feels likes it's glued to the ground in sandstone and hard pack at 14psi. The kenda 270 wanted to push to much in the turns and didn't perform as well in off camber stuff.

• raised the fork oil to 128mm. This made a little difference, but not huge.

• 10w-50 Amsoil engine oil. This helped my clutch and gear shifting dramatically. It's funny, my service manual only says up to 40w, but my owners manual says up to 50w. Not sure why the two are different.

One more thing, I noticed no difference in performance at 5000 ft compared to sea level.

Last edited by Deepseadan; 11-13-2016 at 06:46 PM.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Nice. I did Army recruiting duty in Hemet. Wish I'd known about the tw200 then, cus it would have made living in Hemet less awful

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    Nice. I did Army recruiting duty in Hemet. Wish I'd known about the tw200 then, cus it would have made living in Hemet less awful
    Yeah I don't really like going there other than to ride, or pick up my new seat concepts seat this week! I live in Temecula so it's only a short ride, wish we still had riding around here. To many people now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great ride report and observations.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sounds like fun, next you will want an ATV tire on the back to go with the trials tire up front.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Does look gnarly. There are even times it seems difficult (read you can't put your foot down and feel the earth) when riding the TW. I can't imagine what this would be like with a motorcycle like your KTM with even higher ground clearance. Oofta! Do you have to ride in between the signs or off to the right of the signs? I don't see any tracks except the ones in the lower part of the picture.

I always chuckle when I hear a TW gets someone through a tough trail condition better than a bigger off-road bike. Not having owned a motorcycle for off-road use other than the TW, I usually don't know any better that I'm not suppose to go some places I do. Of course, I've found myself in some "I had to turn around" predicaments!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    To many people now.

That is California in general.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

But elime, haven't many Californians pledged to move to Canada since Trump won? This might leave more trails available for you and me to go ride on.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

When it clears out, someone let me know, I'm going back!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    But elime, haven't many Californians pledged to move to Canada since Trump won? This might leave more trails available for you and me to go ride on.
    But wait until they see how hard it is to actually emigrate to Canada...legally!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links