Owyhee Mtns Part I-Reynolds to Wagontown Veterans Day 2016
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Owyhee Mtns Part I-Reynolds to Wagontown Veterans Day 2016

Owyhee Mtns Part I-Reynolds to Wagontown Veterans Day 2016

Lack of snow, or rain, or dark of night, I made a plan for a quick (not) solo ride up in the Owyhee Mtns.

Part 1 of 3 of my ride in the Owyhee Mtns. In part 1 I rode from Reynolds to the Wagontown Cemetery which is the only thing left of Wagontown. In between, I stopped and explored a few mines. Not a whole lot to see at each but still interesting to me.

Route Info

Take off and landing zone

Stopped at the Reynolds Cemetery for a rest after riding a mile!

Doesn't look scary on a nice sunny day

Grave protection device. You can see the old Reynolds schoolhouse in the background. No trespassing signs kept me away from the school. I didn't like school anyway, so there!

Just by accident and not the real reason I stopped at the cemetery, I happened to find a geocache just outside the cemetery fence. Only a sign-in cache.

What the [email protected]#%! OAF (Oregon Air Force) has sent a helicopter with some kind of Admiral capture device slung below into Idaho Territory. I'll have to have a word with the Idaho Border Patrol's Commanding Officer about this. As it happened, I avoided capture and was able to continue my adventure

Old homestead west of Reynolds off Whisky Mtn. road.

Ida Belle Mine. I think this was a mine shaft which has since caved in but not sure.

Old cowboy cabin near near Succor Creek and the Bergh Mine

Evidence that Beavers had inhabited the area before man arrived near the cowboy cabin

Bergh Mine DO NOT ENTER!!!!

Actually, you wouldn't get very far anyway

Just around a couple corners and up and down some hills I entered the Monarca Mine area

This shack is not on the National Historic Register me thinking

Across the way is the main part of the Monarca Mine for what I gather...and can see. The shack is down below in the tree's in the center of the photo (but you can't see it from here)

Quaking Aspens done lost their leaves for the winter. Monarca Mine closer in

More Monarca Mine living quarters

Needs a fair bit of upgrades to bring it up to code

Here's the main Monarca Mine trench what I could see when I was across the valley, or gulch as we call it here in Idaho

Looking down the trench from a tailing pile

Pretty sure this is where they stopped digging

Part 1 to be continued
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Part 1 continued

I can't believe it's 71 degrees in the middle of November. No snow neither! But I'll take it!

Almost looks like some grain fields up top on my way over from the mines down to Wagontown

What came to mind as I sat here in awe was the song America the Beautiful...and amber waves of grain! Yep, that's what I was thinking.

Went up, down, and around some hills and finally made it to Wagontown Cemetery

My thought was the wrought iron fencing around the graves was before a fence was put up around the cemetery but I don't know that for sure. Just something I made up to satisfy my own question of why.

So, is the fence to protect the tree or did a tree grow up in a grave?

And being it was Veterans Day I paid my respects. Side note, 1983 was the newest date I saw. Most burial dates were from the late 1800's to very early 1900's.

End of Part 1
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Dang! You made it all the way from Reynolds to Wagontown Cemetery and back in ONE day in the middle of November?!! I tried to find that cemetery for half an hour a year ago from the Dewey road without success. I think that POI on Garmin maps is just plain wrong. Now, why do I have this fetish about old pioneer cemeteries? Could it be that I'm becoming more aware of my ultimate demise....after so many hairbreadth escapes over the last 50 years? Nah, couldn't be that.

If you've got a track I sure would like it for future trips. We're selling the ATV so any future trips I take to the Sliver City area will be with the TW, solo. But there are a few roads (!) I will never tackle down there again!
    admiral and Rhodetrip like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Dang! You made it all the way from Reynolds to Wagontown Cemetery and back in ONE day in the middle of November?!! I tried to find that cemetery for half an hour a year ago from the Dewey road without success. I think that POI on Garmin maps is just plain wrong. Now, why do I have this fetish about old pioneer cemeteries? Could it be that I'm becoming more aware of my ultimate demise....after so many hairbreadth escapes over the last 50 years? Nah, couldn't be that.

If you've got a track I sure would like it for future trips. We're selling the ATV so any future trips I take to the Sliver City area will be with the TW, solo. But there are a few roads (!) I will never tackle down there again!
    I didn't start riding until about 1030 as I thought it would be too cold if I started earlier. Had I known it was gonna be this warm I would have started at least an hour earlier. I wasn't really concerned with making the loop in time until my arrival at Wagontown around 2:00. I guess I spent way too much time walking around in the mine areas earlier. My goal was to be back to the truck around 3:30 but after a couple wrong turns which added a lot of time I didn't get back until about 5:00. At least it was still daylight...barely!

I ran into a couple "trouble" spots on the trail on my return, wrong turns, closer to Silver City. As you well know, it can get pretty gnarly when you get on the jeep trails off the more used roads. Even some listed as roads have some really tough spots for sure.

The route I used to get from Reynolds to Wagontown was pretty easy, with the exception you have to be careful through mud puddles and water crossings. It would be more difficult in the spring if the mud puddles were filled with more water from spring runoff. In the video's I show most of the worst water crossings so not too bad in the fall. I suppose there has been some recent snow up there but I didn't see any. Could be a different story if I would have ridden up on War Eagle Mtn.

My Garmin Topo doesn't even show Wagontown Cemetery. It shows "Wagontown" to the south across Jordan Creek road but not the Cemetery on the north side of the road. From what I've read the buildings from the town of Wagontown were removed/destroyed when a dredge went through the area. I could probably download my track but I took many side trails which could muck the track up for you. Still, you could see the main track. Here again, my garmin topo doesn't show all the roads that are actually there but not on the map. The track over by Silver City is much more confusing as I made a couple wrong turns looping me back on a trail I was already on. I figured it out eventually when things started to look familiar "recalculated" my course. lol

Here is the coordinates for Wagontown Cemetery: 43° 1.487'N 116° 51.666'W. There was a lot of really neat camping spots in the creek/drainage just to the west of the cemetery on the same (North) side of the road. Could be more good camp spots but this is the only place I rode.

Great photo's Admiral - what most people don't realize (which is a good thing) is when you look at the Owyhee's from the north looking south, you don't realize how much gorgeous country there is out there. I love crawling all over those mountains! Thanks for sharing!
    admiral, littletommy and Rhodetrip like this.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Admiral, you are an inspiration to us all to get out and explore our great country. The mix of history and humor as you explore the backcountry is captivating and leaves me anxious for more.

Part 2?3049316-9711215943-I+kno.jpg
    admiral, littletommy and Rhodetrip like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by BkCntryCrwlr View Post
    Great photo's Admiral - what most people don't realize (which is a good thing) is when you look at the Owyhee's from the north looking south, you don't realize how much gorgeous country there is out there. I love crawling all over those mountains! Thanks for sharing!
    From what I remember, you are very familiar with this country. Way more than me. I should have asked you for some secret spots to find things like mines, buildings etc! Yes, you are correct, viewing them from the north they don't look very inviting. Maybe that's a good thing so word doesn't get out and it gets more crowded than it already is! Of course, I say that only ran into 1 UTV all day kind of contradicting the whole "over crowded" thought!
    littletommy and Rhodetrip like this.

So frikk'in cool. Thanks for sharing.

Wonder what the story was with the last burial being in 1983 yet everything before the 1800's. And then nothing. Love stuff like that.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Admiral, you are an inspiration to us all to get out and explore our great country. The mix of history and humor as you explore the backcountry is captivating and leaves me anxious for more.

Part 2?3049316-9711215943-I+kno.jpg
    Thanks, Fred. I think we both have our two regions covered when it comes to inspiring others to get out and ride!

Parts II and III coming up soon.

Part II Wagontown to wrong turns on the trail!

I have an appointment this evening. I want to be back at the truck around 3:00 so I have time to drive home and meet Mrs. Admiral and head to the appointment.

I get to Wagontown around 2:00. I better start hauling the mail to get back to the truck!

Though the Wagontown, townsite doesn't exist anymore, just down the road is the remnants of Delamar, ID. This was a very happening mine area back in the day.

Mill ruins across Jordan Creek on private property. No further 'splorin to be done.

I'm guessing some kind of rock & stone separator

I wonder if any dead bodies were passed through here after a mining claim dispute?

Trying to make up some time, I ride fairly briskly from Delamar and turn north around Dewey a few miles down the road and continue.

Even though I'm running behind, I take some of the trails instead of the roads back to the truck. ...and this is where I made wrong turn #1 which dumped me back out on Jordan Creek rd. So I ride even more briskly past Silver City to New York Summit to a trial which will take me back to the truck. This wrong turn has cost me about 1 to 1-1/2 hours but it was pretty!

Oh, oh, but now I make wrong turn #2. Ran into a couple of tough ruts. Both had bypasses but I missed the bypass on the first rut and must ride it out! (note the long shadow. This means I'm running behind)!

Rut #2 but I see this bypass

Wait a minute. Just hold the hay fork! I've been here before...today!

A little bit further down the trail, I connect into the trail at wrong turn #1. I turn around and headed back to where I made wrong turn #2 which will put me back on course! Getting nervous about the time I've soundly added another 1/2 hour and surely I've passed the 3:00 time-to-truck rendezvous! And I still got another hour or more of riding to make it back to the truck! I purposely avoid looking at my watch At least it was scenic!

I continue my ride from Wagontown Cemetery on Jordan Creek Rd. and pass through Delmar and turn north near Dewey to head towards Reynolds. Initially, I was riding some familiar trails but turned off on one I wasn't familiar with. Thinking it would reconnect me with one I've ridden before, the trail never did. I then ended up back on Jordan Creek rd. Time to recalculate! I headed east past the Silver City and up to New York Summit whereby I started back to the truck on a trail I was familiar with...or so I thought! I made another wrong turn which brought me back to a trail I was on previously. Basically a loop. So I needed to turn around and backtrack to the junction where I took my second wrong turn. Up next. In Part III I have recalculated a second time and am on the right trail now and head back, albeit and hour or two delayed. Oops!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links