Riding Through History - NV. In Search of the Crashed B24 Bomber
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ok...sorry the TW's stayed home again on this trip and we took the KTM's. In fact I think we are going to list our Adventurized TW up for sale soon since my fathers back just won't handle riding on two wheels any longer. Thought I'd post the ride report here though since it would be a excellent TW trip with TONS of great historical scenery to soak in!

Here's a quick overview of our plan. Head to the Alvord Desert in OR, camp for two nights there then head south on the bikes for 3 days of exploring the remote regions of NV. Camp at Soldier Meadows and maybe head as far south as the Black Rock Desert. One of the top items on my list is to locate the crashed B24 Liberator that rests in the Pueblo Mountains above Denio NV, it's eluded me for three years (See my ride reports in my Sig line) so this may just be the year to find it!

I posted an open invitation on ADVRider for anyone that wanted to join in on the ride so I won't know who all is going until we get down to the Alvord Desert. Three of the riders have already had to cancel last minute so who knows how many will make the trip.

This ride report will be Pic Heavy! The pictures are a combination of Andy's and I pics.

Day 1:

We roll out early for the Alvord and arrive at 3pm on the "Dry" Alvord lake bed. Feels great to be back down here again!

The lake bed is full of water still so we search around a bit for a place to park Don's trailer. I look down and notice he has a flat! We had two flats down here last summer....I guess we'll get it out of the way early this time

We finally head back to the spot right above the hot springs since that's the only dry place to park the camper. One more day until we head south on the bikes to NV! Oh Yeah!!! The desert bike fleet.

My 530 ready to do battle with the desert....bring on Adventure!

James getting ready to head out on the "Fat Thing". It's a RV90 that he installed a 140cc LIfan into, he cruised all over on that bike.

I walked over to check out the hot springs...just as I remembered them. Can't wait to go for a soak tonight!

Continued Below....

Continued from above...

Josh from CA had arrived the previous day and was out exploring on the bike when we arrived. He rolled back into camp on his 640 and I noticed his rear tire was flat! He headed up the hill to his camp to install a new heavy duty tube in the rear tire.

Looking back at the Playa...I've never seen this much water in the desert...Crazy!

I headed back down to camp to get ready for a soak in the hot springs. A lightning storm had been going on out in the distance and it wasn't long before the lake bed was completely surrounded by a awesome thunder storm. Dust started blowing across the playa and lightning was striking all over the lakes surface. I managed to catch 4 strikes with my camera. Very Cool! After a long soak I headed to bed...ready for tomorrows adventure.

LOTS more to come...the main ride report starts on Day 3.

Hodakaguy

Day 2.

Miles on Bike: 4365

HRS on bike: 136.2

I woke up and headed down for a soak in the springs. Soon everyone was up and it was time to have some fun on the bikes. My friend Andy would be showing up today with his 530 so while we were waiting Don, Terry and I decided to play up in the hills a bit above the springs.

Picture of the canyon directly above camp

The end of the Playa is just starting to dry out. I doubt that it will fully dry out this year.

Don and I heading up the trail.

Up in the hills heading towards the first abandoned mine above camp.

Don slipped down into a wash

Andy arrived so we unloaded the bikes and decided to head down to Borax Hot Springs, then on to Fields for a world famous milk shake!

Borax Hot Springs

Josh arriving at the Springs. His tire is holding up great...but his rear brake keeps locking up and over heating, will have to look at that when we get back to camp.

Borax Lake. There used to be a Borax mining operation located here. It's a warm lake and the source boils up in the middle of the lake. The Borax Lake Chub is a small fish that can only be found in this lake, pretty amazing it can live in water with high Arsenic concentrations.

Continued Below....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Day 2 Continued From Above...

My dad checking the temp in one of the hot pools. You can swim in the lake and there is one pool cool enough to soak. It's located at the very end of the chain off pools.

A couple other shots of the pools, true Yellowstone quality.

After checking out the hot springs we headed to Fields to get a World Famous Milk Shake!

A ride report through Fields wouldn't be complete without a picture of the World Famous Milk Shake sign.

Andy and Josh enjoying their shake. Yummm....

After having shakes at Fields we headed back to camp to play in the hills a bit and prep for our bike adventure that starts in the am. Josh is going to look at his rear brake and see if he can get it functioning again.

Once back at camp Andy and I played around in the hills a bit above camp, we checked out the what was left of the miners cabin located directly below the first abandoned mine.

The first year I came up here the walls were intact and the cabin was in pretty nice cond...not sure what happened to it since then.

Continued Below....

Day 2 continued from above....

After checking out the cabin we rode up to the first mine. This shot was taken from the mine looking back down at the lake bed.

And another shot of the lake full of water.

There is a lot of water damage up in the hills. There used to be a wooden rail track running down the hill right where the wash out is located and the lower audit is completely covered now with tailing that have slid down the hill.

Here's a picture from a past trip to this mine showing the tracks

More pictures of this mine, cabin, mines and relics are located in my other ride report here: CLICK HERE

Andy and I headed back down to camp to soak and finish preparing for tomorrows ride. We stopped and talked to Josh on the way down to find out the status of his rear brake. It looks like the master cylinder is toast so he is going to head home in the am....leaving Andy and I to head out into NV on our own.

Bring on NV!

Lots more to come!

Hodakaguy

Day 3:

Miles on Bike: 4434

HRS on bike: 138.2

Andy and I woke up early and had the bikes loaded and ready to roll. Our plan was to locate the crashed B24 Liberator then head south to Soldier Meadows. We broke camp and headed to Denio for Fuel before starting the ride into the Pueblo Mountains.

After a stretch of slab run we arrived at Denio Junction.

No ride report through Denio would be complete without a picture of God's Ride.

We left Denio Junction and headed out to find the Bomber...I wasn't exactly sure how to locate it and we soon found ourselves at Bog Hot Springs. We stopped to check out the Hot Springs. Bog is really cool, it's more like a hot river than a springs. I will be back here some day to camp and ride.

After lots of looking at the GPS and talking to a local that passed in a car we headed out again in search of the B24. Here we started climbing up into the mountains, you can see Denio Junction off in the distance.

We stopped on the way to check out an abandoned mine, I headed up to see how far in the audit went.

Not exactly sure what they were mining here but the tailing had some sort of mineral in them. The audit only went in about 15 feet so I imagine whatever they were after wasn't to abundant.

Looking back at the bikes from the mine, lots of wide open country down here.

Continued Below....

Day 3 continued from above....

We left the mine and started working our way further up into the mountains.

Andy blasting through a grass meadow

Stopped for a picture in the meadow.

Getting closer!

And there it is!

"On February 9, 1945 at approximately 10 PM a B-24 "Liberator" bomber crashed into a rocky ledge in the Pueblo Mountains in southeastern Oregon. The plane was on a "round robin" navigation training mission from Gowen Field near Boise, Idaho to Hamilton Field in California.

An eyewitness in Denio recalled seeing the plane fly over Pueblo Mountain on its return from California and, for some unknown reason, turn sharply to the left, narrowly missing the summit as it crossed back over to the southwest. This maneuver cost the plane 2500 feet in altitude and a few seconds later it crashed into the west-side of the mountain at the 7500-foot level. All 11 men on board were killed. The cause of the crash was never determined." Taken from the BLM Website

If you would like to learn more about this crash Oregon Field Guide did a story on it a while back, you can watch it here: CLICK HERE

The wreck is scattered over a football size area on the slope.

Andy and I took a lot of pictures at the crash site...so I'll post a lot of pics here.

A heavy piece of armor plate, still has army green paint on it!

Main landing gear

The bomber burned when it went in, the extreme heat discolored the chrome on the damper.

Continued Below....

Day 3 Continued From Above.....

One of the super charger assy.

Lots of melted aluminum.

Another engine

Engine and super charger

More parts

Continued Below....

Looks like some sort of inter cooler

More parts

Cylinder with part of a exhaust manifold attached.

Continued below....

They were so close to making the top of the hill

Another panoramic shot.

Andy at the crash site

There were several wild flows growing at the crash site...it's amazing to see this much green this late in the season up here.

Continued Below....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links