Rocket Day 2011 Report
Close
    We had our 3rd annual Rocket Day last weekend on the edge of a dry lake bed in the middle of nowhere California. About 50 people total including 6 families with all together a dozen kids. Late night camp was just over the berm. I was the only one there with a TW. The weekend was more about flying stuff than riding but I thought I’d share anyway.

“First Camp” Most kids were hovering around here.

The guy in the bed of the pickup truck is controlling the RC plane in the center of the frame.

My kid riding shotgun in an official Rocket Day Recovery Vehicle. Or R.D.R.V.

Saturn 5

Local wildlife captured on film. We also spotted rabbits, rats, an owl and heard many coyotes far and near.

Good Times

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar
    Sound like everyone had a great time but I would have definitly passed on spotting the snake!
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks like fun, and brings back some memories on two accounts. I've attended a few rotorcraft fly-ins at El Mirage dry lake bed. I've also launched quite a few rockets myself, although it's been awhile on both accounts. I wish you had some video of that Saturn V going up; I'll bet it was quite a sight to see! I remember building and launching Estes' version of the Space Shuttle. On the first flight it went up about 20 feet, then went horizontal like a cruise missile. It was a good thing nobody was nearby. I'm with Purple, I enjoyed the pictures of the Tarantula and Desert Tortoise, but I'm not very fond of snakes. Thanks for sharing the report. Judging from the number of grins seen in the pictures everyone had a good time.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Back in my early teens I was a member of the Estes Aerospace Club. I was able to earn several Thrust Bars. Kinda saddens me to see most of the rocket kits are pre-built. Fellow who owns the local hobby shop said the kids of today don't want to build anything. They want plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Back in my early teens I was a member of the Estes Aerospace Club. I was able to earn several Thrust Bars. Kinda saddens me to see most of the rocket kits are pre-built. Fellow who owns the local hobby shop said the kids of today don't want to build anything. They want plug and play.

Anyone else remember "The Handbook of Model Rocketry"?

Ah, yes. The calculations! The toluene! Dumpster diving for cardboard tubes!

Those were the days. When "dope" only went on fabric.

Am I wearin' a hat?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When I started building my own designs knowing where the center of gravity point was in fact something important.Also on a two stage it was good to remember to tape the engines together.Watching your brand new rocket lawn dart or tumble end over end drove the point home.

WOW GREAT TRIP!!!! Need some more Tw's there.

Ronnydog

I love the guy wearing the 60's throwback NASA cloths. That there's funny. Looked like fun!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Looks to have been a good ride and a good day for the young ones too.

Sponosred Links