Trumbull, Toroweap ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trumbull, Toroweap ride

With a new rack and a larger gas tank I thought it was time to go on a longer ride. So, I laid out a route south to Mount Trumbull, then east to the Grand Canyon at Tuweep, also called Toroweap. Monday was a beautiful day, and I had it off from work so decided I should take advantage of the opportunity.

Heading south.

My first job out of high school was helping to build this powerline.

Do you see what I see? I flushed a flock (covey?) of grouse. If I had been hunting I could've picked some up quite easily.

How many can you count?

Lots of volcanic rock in these parts, too.

The remains of an old homestead. The building has collapsed. That's a cistern for water in front. The water for the cistern was probably pulled from the tin roof when it rained.

I love old windmills.

jtstdub likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

That's an old horse-drawn threshing machine

The old school at the small ranching community of Mount Trumbull, named after the nearby mountain.

Heading up Mount Trumbull, looking back from where I came.

An old sawmill site at the top of Mount Trumbull.

At Nampaweap there were petroglyphs.

Almost to the north rim of the Grand Canyon at Tuweep.

There's the rim.

The Colorado River far below.

Looking west.

Horse drawn grader.

The closest gas is at the base of those mountains.

Getting closer.

It'll be dark before I get home.

Last edited by B-dub; 01-02-2014 at 07:52 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Same powerline, just further east.

Almost home.

11 1/2 hours (lots of stops to look around and take pictures), 193.9 miles, approximately 65 miles per gallon. I miscalculated the number of miles for my trip, and ran out of gas about 5 miles southeast of town. I remembered that someone on this board mentioned the trick of laying the bike on it's side to get the gas from the right side of the tank to the left, so that's what I did. After about the 5th kick it started and went the rest of the way home no problem.

That's funny. I just warned you that the left tilt trick won't get you very far and you've already proven me wrong.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Cool ride, looks like most of it was off tarmac.? How much actuall pavement was involved?

What is that sweet rear tire ya got on there??

Looks like fun to me!

Boy, that looked like one awesome ride! Your ride had all the elements that I wish for all wrapped up in one. Old wagon trails, old buildings, fantastic river canyon, old machinery, and one of my favorites; windmills. I'll be viewing this one over and over. Thanks for sharing.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Is there a left turn where that old school is sitting? My brother and I wet out that way a few years ago and made it to a building that was an old school or church and when we turned the corner the road was flooded with mud and water and so we turned and burned back to st George. Its beautiful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    Is there a left turn where that old school is sitting? My brother and I wet out that way a few years ago and made it to a building that was an old school or church and when we turned the corner the road was flooded with mud and water and so we turned and burned back to st George. Its beautiful out there!
    Great pics! thanks for sharing!
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    That's funny. I just warned you that the left tilt trick won't get you very far and you've already proven me wrong.

Well, all I can say is that I was motivated. I could see fuel in there with my flashlight, so laid it right down on the bars and footpeg, then jostled it around in hopes some of the fuel would slosh over to the left side. Apparently enough made it over to make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamamont View Post
    Cool ride, looks like most of it was off tarmac.? How much actuall pavement was involved?

What is that sweet rear tire ya got on there??

Looks like fun to me!

Once out of the city limits it was all dirt, my favorite kind of riding! The tire is a Maxxis Ceros. It was a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Boy, that looked like one awesome ride! Your ride had all the elements that I wish for all wrapped up in one. Old wagon trails, old buildings, fantastic river canyon, old machinery, and one of my favorites; windmills. I'll be viewing this one over and over. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Admiral. I always enjoy your ride reports. I'm still chuckling about your foray into Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post

Yeah, the left turn takes you up over Mount Trumbull, and to the road to Toroweap. It's a nice ride, you'll have to try again some time.

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Great pics! thanks for sharing!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links