TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Big Bend 2017

10K views 59 replies 20 participants last post by  GaryL 
#1 ·
GaryL and I had a phone conversation this morning and are in the process of sitting up and making final plans for heading to Big Bend National Park this March....last year, Borneo, Fort Wayne Harley Gary, Ebbanflood Jim, Montezuma and I spent 8 days there and enjoyed the heck out of it...but I left feeling a bit "short changed" .... there are things and roads I did not complete.....so, the plans that are laid out so far, are for GaryL to leave his New York abode on Februry 26th...hook up with Montezuma and Hoot, and head for Terlingua, Texas....after a night there, we head into the park and the Rio Grande Village Campgrounds....Zidiver Paul {Reddog} will be meeting us there....and the 4 of us will either be riding or 4 x 4ing for a week or so.....

Deserts, River Range, Mountains, Big Ben has just about all at various skill levels....

So if any of you half sane people {more or less} are in the area or plan on being in the area....between March 1st and March 8th or so....stop on by or let us know....

"The Window at Chisos Mountain, Big Bend...taken by Hoot on 3/12/2016

Sky Blue Nature Cloud Natural landscape

See less See more
#41 ·
Some spectacular Skies at Night....

I was sitting at the Camp Site {Rio Grand Village} Ol Montezuma was snoozing in his truck, I was smoking a good cigar, drinking a few beers, and snapping photos....

Sky Nature Night Star Atmosphere

#43 ·
Welcome to the forum!! :D

#46 ·
Welcome to the forum. I would like to go but I'm still not sure since I am still recovering after last year's reduction in force, layoff. This year has possibilities though. I will have newer tires, my bike has had a valve job, sprocket and other maintenance updates within the last year. I want to upgrade the steering head bearings and I should be good to go.

#47 ·
I would love to go to Moab also. We went to Big Bend last year. Set up camp in a Terligua campground and received a call from family that my mother in law was in a bad way. So after about 6 hours at the camp we packed up and headed for Kansas to be with her. So, really want to give the Big Bend adventure another chance. When I saw the Rally mentioned in this forum it was all I needed to start planning a trip. Thanks for the welcome to forum.

#49 ·
Welcome to the forum from way up here to way down yonder.

There has been 3 larger TW group rides the past three years in Moab in March (2015, 2016, 2017). During those 3 years almost the entire US west of the Rocky Mtns. has been represented plus a few from B.C. Canada and this past year we had a rider from Florida. We've also had riders from Texas, Mississippi, Louisana, Ohio, Indiana, New York, and Rhode Island. I know I'm missing some.

Keep a watch for a gathering as one could happen again in March-April or in the fall September-October time frames.

There may also be some other group gathers in other places so keep a watch for the ride announcements as they get posted closer to summer.

#50 ·
We do have some forum members from Moab but I'm in Arizona now. I missed the 2017 Moab TW200 Invasion because a "buddy" evicted me from his property the day I was packing to leave for Moab. He later begged me to move back when he discovered his nephew had stolen a few grand in loose change from his home and he thought I did it even though I had never been in his home and didn't have a key. Ol guy had a heart attack and it affected his brain he became ultra paranoid. Took me 10 days and cost me $6k to move all my machinery and rigs and to find emergency storage for everything. The whole time all I was really pissed at was missing The Big Go at MOAB !!!

#52 ·
Ouch. Arizona was a good place to land though. Wish life wouldn't have so many wrinkles sometimes though.

#51 ·
The ride reports from the Big Bend Park area were from a small group from the Forum as opposed to a more formal group ride. However that doesn’t mean another more open invitation ride can’t be scheduled sometime in the future.
All it needs is someone to take the initiative and make it happen. It could be you!
No central organiztion, Steering Committees or Chiefs here, we are all but Little Indians who sometimes come up with good ideas and destinations to share.

#53 ·
The ride reports from the Big Bend Park area were from a small group from the Forum as opposed to a more formal group ride. However that doesn’t mean another more open invitation ride can’t be scheduled sometime in the future.
All it needs is someone to take the initiative and make it happen. It could be you!
No central organiztion, Steering Committees or Chiefs here, we are all but Little Indians who sometimes come up with good ideas and destinations to share.

True, well said Fred.

#56 ·
I just joined the forum, and saw the words "Big Bend", so I had to read this post. I was born and raised all around that country, worked as a wrangler taking visitors on horse back rides through the park in summer of 1970 & 71. My first visit back to the park was last fall and it was very unpleasant to see all the restrictions. We used to ride our trail bikes all over the Terilingua ranch roads, and go to the original Terilingua mining site which has a cenote (natural spring) and sit in front of the abandoned mine entrances to cool off. The cool air coming out of the mines had to be 15 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature.
I was surprised at the lack of signs directing people to sites, such as the Sotol distillery sites, or the Candelia rendering site(it's what keeps the M&M's from melting in your hands), or some of the old Indian camp sites. I think the park employees came from regions far from Big Bend and have no knowledge of what the park has. I do know when the USGS was mapping the surrounding areas, the locals gave the USGS false names of peaks and drainage's just to mess with them - and it worked!

#60 ·
I suspect this is the only Big Bend thread and as far as I know only me, Mel and Hoot are 98% sure we are going. 98% only because we are all a bit older and never know what the next few months before we head down will bring. We are hoping to have a few other guys make the trip or at least visit for a day or two. Plans as they stand now are for late April into early May. Mel plans to bring his fifth wheel affectionately known as Mel's Diner and with 3 TW's in tow. Neither me or Mel are long distance off road riders so pretty much it's just a get together to hang with forum pals we have known all these years but most of us have never met in person. Hoot and me plan to bring our camping gear and tents but if necessary we can also do motel rooms for some of the time. Hoot just bought a new Jeep Wrangler and I will be in a 4X4 4Runner so probably some sight seeing rides in vehicles rather than all on TWs. I will have my best GF with me in my avitar but a lot older at 12.

GaryL

Reactions: Mel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.