Ridgecrest/Panamint/Death Valley Saturday 1/28/17?
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 82fb
  • 1 Post By SportsterDoc
  • 2 Post By 82fb
  • 2 Post By old w/??
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Ridgecrest/Panamint/Death Valley Saturday 1/28/17?

Ridgecrest/Panamint/Death Valley Saturday 1/28/17?

I am traveling down to Death Valley for a golf tournament this coming Friday. I have never visited DV, but am told that there are tons of places to explore if you have a street legal bike. I can either bring my TW or my street legal WR250F down. Anybody want to meet up and ride Saturday around DV, or Panamint, Trona, Ballarat, Wagonwheel area? It would give me a great excuse to stay another day! I am not expert level, but a decent rider at this point. Not an adrenaline junkie, just love to get out and see new places.

text/call if interested. 5five9-760-8one56

Mark
    littletommy likes this.

Should be good weather on Saturday
    62 F by about 3 PM (34 F, the night before)

Would consider it, but short notice for a 200+ mile trip to Trona and I have commitments Sunday AM.
    The area around Trona is not enticing and the salt flats probably have a lot of water on them, right now.

Good riding around Randsburg, Johannesburg, Red Mountain and Cuddeback Dry Lake, but the lake is certainly very wet, at this time.
    BLM has closed many areas that I rode in the seventies, but still some good rides.
    Be careful of mine shafts.
    littletommy likes this.

With stock gas tanks both bikes will have somewhat limited range in the park where re-fueling options are few and far in between. The WR250F's reported 40 mpg fuel consumption rate might make me change recommendation to the TW. Some roads are closed due to snow and storm damage as of yesterday. However you should be able to ride main roads. Fuel used to be available at Scotty's Castle but now you might be limited to Stovepipe Wells, Panamint Springs, Furnace Creek and Beaty.
    Titus Canyon, The RaceTrack, as well as Badwater might be good destinations within range of your base. TWs really like the increased partial pressure of oxygen below sea level, you get a nice dense intake charge, especially on a cold morning. Zoom!
    Sounds like fun! Take pictures and post here to torment us with your good times.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the great info. The WR gets better than 50 mpg and has 3.2 gallon tank, so I can ride trails all day and use about a half tank. Don't want any part of snow though! I will post pics if I ride, but I won't be riding alone. Had a friend crash in November, broke a few ribs, punctured lung, both wrists broken, and for some reason my wife thinks I should only ride with someone else.
    Dryden-Tdub and Tweaker like this.

At least she didn't say you'll be fine alone (and then called to up the life insurance policy).
    Dryden-Tdub and Tweaker like this.

A surprising number of roads and destinations are closed in Death Valley due to intense storm activity. Please review before departure for planning purposes: Alerts & Conditions - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park ...

Still open are a few places to the north suitable for a solo ride are: The Eureka Dunes and The Racetrack

With a partner Eureka Dunes to Hurrah Pass to Saline valley to Lippencutt Road to Racetrack would make for a good
    challenge.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-24-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links