Riding Partner(s) - Death Valley area
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Riding Partner(s) - Death Valley area

I'm in Pahrump, Nevada, and love to explore old 1800's mining country. Been doing it all my life in 4x4's, but now have my nifty new '09 TW. Because I like exploring, I cannot tell anyone where I'll be (for safety reasons) because I'll only be passing through it anyway. And one of my passions is going where I won't find a soul; the more remote I am, the happier.

Mountains I want to explore: Funerals, Panamints, Argus, Inyos, White's

Are there any forum-ers who live in the area, and want to go exploring?

Quote Originally Posted by Neotoma View Post
    I in Pahrump, Nevada, and love to explore old 1800's mining country. Been doing it all my life in 4x4's, but now have my nifty new '09 TW. Because I like exploring, I cannot tell anyone where I'll be (for safety reasons) because I'll only be passing through it anyway. And one of my passions is going where I won't find a soul; the more remote I am, the happier.

Mountains I want to explore: Funerals, Panamints, Argus, Inyos, White's

Are there any forum-ers who live in the area, and want to go exploring?

Hey Neotoma, With a name like that, we know that you are a pack rat and in good habitat when you are exploring Nevada. I wish I was a bit closer to ride into those areas. I find that riding solo is the most convenient, but clearly there are times when you need someone to turn to and say "would you look at that". I don't need to tell you how to be safe. You can get into just as much trouble with a 4x4 as you can with at TW. Take water and stay calm. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I'd be up for some of that on occasion. The distances are about the same for either of us to some of those places, though access is probably easier from the Nevada side.

I built mine for long range disappearing acts, but have had little opportunity to use it for the purpose.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Hey Neotoma, With a name like that, we know that you are a pack rat and in good habitat when you are exploring Nevada. I wish I was a bit closer to ride into those areas. I find that riding solo is the most convenient, but clearly there are times when you need someone to turn to and say "would you look at that". I don't need to tell you how to be safe. You can get into just as much trouble with a 4x4 as you can with at TW. Take water and stay calm. Tom

Hey, Peruano. Jeeze, you got to that name fast! You must have a little wildlife background.

Right you are about 4x4 troubles. Won't say I've seen it all, but I've learned what a reliable vehicle and a lot of experience will keep you out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Neotoma View Post
    Hey, Peruano. Jeeze, you got to that name fast! You must have a little wildlife background.

Right you are about 4x4 troubles. Won't say I've seen it all, but I've learned what a reliable vehicle and a lot of experience will keep you out of.

If I can get this photo loaded, you'll see why I'd like someone to read some nice words over me if I don't make it around this "hole" in the road. Then call my wife and tell her where she can retrieve me if she wants to.

This is an 1874 wagon road from Panamint Valley, CA, to Darwin, CA. I'm just aching to almost drop my TW into it's hole.

<You're going to have to wait on the photo. Apparently I have to retrieve it from somewhere that I've posted it on the web, since I don't seem to be able to pull it off the hard drive. Dang it! Gotta go find out how to do this>

Neotoma, So don't keep us in suspense. Are you a mammalogist or not? Neotoma is the generic name for packrats, but then again we know that packrats of various stripes exist in the west. I know there is one guy in the tw world who goes by Mephitus (thats the generic name for skunks). That would make a good thread (whats the basis for your web name?). Me, I spent a year in Peru studying high altitude lizards. I was suffering from cultural shock when I returned to the US so badly that my first instinct was to go back to Peru and take a job for $100 per month in a local university. The feeling went away after a few months but I still consider myself "casi peruano".

Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Neotoma, So don't keep us in suspense. Are you a mammalogist or not? Neotoma is the generic name for packrats, but then again we know that packrats of various stripes exist in the west. I know there is one guy in the tw world who goes by Mephitus (thats the generic name for skunks). That would make a good thread (whats the basis for your web name?). Me, I spent a year in Peru studying high altitude lizards. I was suffering from cultural shock when I returned to the US so badly that my first instinct was to go back to Peru and take a job for $100 per month in a local university. The feeling went away after a few months but I still consider myself "".

Tom

Tom, (I like Casi Peruano better, although I'm not entirely sure what it means; it all comes up in spanish, and if it isn't "cervesa", I don't know what it means), A year in high altitude, with lizards, sounds like a recipe for US culture shock. Sounds like a lot of fun, too. Did you have your TW there?

No, I'm not Mammologist, but my wife is. I met her while I lived and worked at Barcroft Lab, on the White Mtns in CA, at 13,000 feet. Not as high as you were, I'll bet, but rarified. She was doing her doctoral research on marginal populations of chipmunks, we both got altitude sickness (we thought it was love), and off I go to Berkeley and culture shock! Then I spent the next 3 years trapping eutamias (her target species), dipodomys, neotoma (she pegged me with that one - you should see my garage!), microdipodops, perimyscus (we should have both died by now of hantavirus), as well as rattlers, birds, pika, weasels, and every other thing that lives in the desert and eats seeds, or is willing to bust into a Sherman live-trap to eat whatever eats seeds. Sigh.... That was 30 years ago, and we were young and crazy. And a lot of fun.

Maybe you can help me with something:

I've been trying to post a photo on this thread and I just can't seem to do it. All I get is a little tiny diamond box (like what you get if something's supposed to be there, but ain't). I've tried this in Firefox, and IE, but no go. You seem to be able to put a nice photo up. How'd you do that? The location always asks for a URL, which means I can't upload from my desktop? I put one on my Picasa site, but still won't work using that URL. I can't find any help files this topic other than instructions to do what I'm already doing.

Hey Neotoma

I'm planning on spending about 4 days out in the DV area Oct 27-Oct 30th if you're around. Probably camping in the Panimint Springs area since it provides a good location for exploring a lot of the park. It's about my 6th time going to the park.

Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

I have a plan to go over Death Valley in couple of months too.

This time is too hot, all the camp sites are empty.

So, waiting for some cooler season, but not wet season..

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Hey Neotoma

I'm planning on spending about 4 days out in the DV area Oct 27-Oct 30th if you're around. Probably camping in the Panimint Springs area since it provides a good location for exploring a lot of the park. It's about my 6th time going to the park.

Josh

Hey, Josh.

I may be there closer to that weekend. I'll message you with my contact info. Panamint is a choice location, as I'm sure you know, because it's mostly BLM on the west side and doesn't have all the camping restrictions of DVNP.

If I'm there, I'd like to hook up for a while.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BusyWeb View Post
    I have a plan to go over Death Valley in couple of months too.

This time is too hot, all the camp sites are empty.

So, waiting for some cooler season, but not wet season..

Hi BusyWeb,

If we can cross paths there, I'd like that. As I noted in the above reply, I tend to head for the "Hi 'n Lonesome" when I'm there, and avoid the public campgrounds. The park has different rules for camping in remote areas, where there aren't any RV's with generators and satellite TV. Just don't get too far off the "road".

Do you have a time in mind? I had to smile when I saw "Wet Season". Wet season I s'pose would be T-Storm season and, "Oh my God, FLASHFLOOD!" season. That can be fun from high ground, but you may find yourself rebuilding parts of a road just to get out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links