Mineral City an Idaho Ghost Town Ride (Vid at End)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Short Background Story. Last May, my wife and I made a very short visit to this place. I was drawn to Mineral because of a geocache in the area, but things didn't turn out like we planned. Mineral is located up Dennett Creek Idaho near Brownlee Reservoir along the Oregon/Idaho border. There are only two ways to get here essentially, over the mountain or around the mountain along the reservoir. Our problem was there was snow up in them thar hills, and my wife is deathly afraid of water. Well, she said it would be ok to go via the reservoir road, but in the end that wasn't a good idea. About halfway along the reservoir I looked over and saw she was crying uncontrollably. Needless to say our stay was a drive through Mineral on our way up and over them thar mountains, which wasn't easy because of the snow. I wrote a report of this in the off-topic last May/June.

So fast forward. I've been wanting to go back all summer, but didn't have time until now. So here is my ride, without my beloved wife. Georgie would have to do, which she didn't mind at all.

Here's the temp when I left the staging area in the morning. Brrr!

Because of how cold it was, I trailered the TW from home to the staging area near Brownlee Reservoir.

Along the way I saw this cool looking manure spreader I think.

Another interesting site. Land recently grazed by cattle on the right of the fence, and not for a while on the left.

Mineral is located on land owned by the Rocking M Ranch, but is part of a conservation easement area which allows sportsmans access. Which I'm glad of or I wouldn't be able to ride to it.

Almost ready to go. Georgie waiting...impatiently I might add.

Didn't take any photo's of the reservoir heading too Mineral, but have a few later. Here I'm starting up Dennett Crk rd toward Mineral.

Here's a weird looking coal type deposit along Dennett Crk. I'm guessing there must have been a smelter here as I see either part of a boiler or smoke stack.

Here is a view of the snow covered Iron Mountain. Had to up that way last May when there was more snow on it.

Finally arrived at Mineral

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Here's a few more photo's of what's left of Mineral.

Mineral or Mineral City was a mining boom town during the 1880's.

Miners came for gold and silver, but most of what was mined was copper.

The road is very well maintained, but not many come here because of it's remoteness.

Though time was also short on this trip, I did locate 1 of the 2 caches in the area. This cache is located near the large rock

to the right and above the road.

Found an old iron chiesel at the cache rock. Looks like it was hammered in long ago. It's loose now, but I only took a picture of it and left it where it was.

And here's the cache

The hillside was steep and even Georgie had to be careful

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I see the ghost in picture number 5!
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Near Mineral, I took a side road up a draw and found a corral with this old storage building, for Ice I think.

I think this stone building was built before the trees were here or when they were young. Tree has grown up and over the stone

Also the doorway is blocked by the tree's indicating the tree's came after the structure.

Only Georgie could get through the doorway now between these two tree trunks.

One more photo of the structure.

From here I head back to the staging area. Hard to see here, but this is a marina and lodge located and operated by the ranch on the reservoir.

TW looks nice near the reservoir

And one without the TW. My girls noticed something about this photo. If you tilt your head to the left, it looks like one of the Planet of the Apes because of the reflection. Good imagination I'd say!

Anyway, this ride was way to short and I plan on coming back to explore more mines in the area and also find the other geocache. But I better do it before summer when the Rattle Snakes are out

in full force.

Will post some video when I get it downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    I see the ghost in picture number 5!

Look like the ghost holding a camera. lol

Last edited by admiral; 06-06-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Last edited by admiral; 06-06-2015 at 09:29 AM.

You're a rugged outdoorsman for sure taking to the remote roads in this kind of weather. I presume that aside for your four-legged co-rider you're making these trips solo? Better have your wife get you a Spot for Christmas. I don't want to hear a report that you froze to death having to spend an unplanned night in the Idaho dingweeds in subzero weather.

Being the "city mouse", my TW is in hibernation in the garage plugged into a Battery Tender. I applaud your pioneering spirit and enjoy your as always great rider reports, but do question your sanity - (grin)

Look like you also used your buddies helmet cam. The video looks really great, especially at 1080 HD and full screen. You know you're gonna have to get one of those now, right?

Glad to see you having a good time. Be safe. I'd like to ride with you again when the spring thaw occurs. Vaya con Dios amigo!

Nice RR Admiral. Loved your comment to the dog. Sounds like something I was mumbling to myself on Saturday.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

14 degrees F? Is that legal? J/K! Great pics and vids. Thanks.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links