Lets ride a tw in the snow and ice
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like fools i decided id invite 2 other riding buddies for a cold snowy ride this weekend. I actually have more than 2 friends, all the others were smarter and stayed at home doing honey do's. 2 tw's and a crazy guy on a beemer650. This oughta be fun.

Trail was nice and dandy..typical conditions of rocks and ruts..few jeeps and fj's thrown in to scoot around, some cows to flip off and honk the horn at. We run into a gentleman on a ktm and he laughs at us not for having tw's but trying to get up to crown king for lunch. He tells us theres a bunch of snow and ice and we'll never make it thru. Well that just made me want to try SO like a bunch of fools we weren't gona turn around..we knew there was a nice and juicy cheeseburger waiting up top for us. First icy section wasnt bad..then the little inclines start to come..i can feel it slip and slide a little but the fun is just getting started. The other guys are having a problem..i guess i just want the cheeseburger first. I could leave them behind, but i figured id need them in-case i get stuck. So i help them push their bikes up..slipping and falling a few times. We make it past a few more sections of slippery white stuff..more ice..but the further we go the better the cheeseburgers will taste. Took us a good hour to get thru what is normally a 15 minute section. Im not trying to brag..but i had very minimal problems going up any of the hills with my terracross. A few slippery spots but i didnt spin out

So we manage work our way into crown king which is a good 6500 ft in elevation and guess what? No cheeseburger yet..one more test of 2 wheels. More snow..ice..and slushy stuff. I think we all had a few good saves on this stretch.

We worked our asses off for that cheeseburger..oh and dr pepper..or was it mr pibb..who cares..it was great!

The guy on the beemer decided he'd take the smooth way back which had no snow. Sounds great but with a top speed of 50mph i dont want to take the highway back to the trucks..so me and the other tw ventured off..up and down a few more icy trails. The cheeseburger was kicking in and got tired of fighting the bike so we laid it down a few times along the way back. Hauled ass to get back to the trucks before dark.

All that work for a greesy burger?? i hope you never get a chance to ride with this fool....

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Looks like a lot of fun. It's good to have goal and that burger does look good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I salute you and all the other riders out there who refuse to park our TW's for the winter. Winter may slow us down, push us over, but not damper our riding spirit and stop us. Now that I've said all the winter riding B.S., how was the cheeseburger? I'm gonna borrow mrgizmow's idea and use cable's, cable chains, or chains to ride on those snow slicked trails. Thanks for sharing, it looked like fun. And if I lived down yonder, I would've gone with you. I think! For a burger anyway!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks, I see that timber saw sprocket work good in that stuff. How did you keep your hands worm?

Ronnydog

I love the gearing..the front end pops up with just a twist of the throttle..its a blast.

I didnt use anything on this trip, but these are being ordered as we speak.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Moose-Foa...ended_b_8.html

Slip slidin awaaaaaay. Slip sliding awaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Oh, I guess you're too young to remember that song. Anyway, looks like fun. Cold, but fun. It also looks like you're enjoying the new bike. Good on ya, and thanks for sharing. I did miss the videos from that cool camera of yours, though.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

i hope the tdub is as good in the snow as i think. i plan on using my tw200 to pull my sled across the lakes when i go ice fishing. if there is no snow on the ice it could get interesting!

Mr. Zannini,

Since you plan to ride on ice, you should probably plan on using studs (ice screws) on both the front and rear tires or possibly chains/cables. Otherwise, things could get very "interesting" as you say.

Brian

I don't live in snow country, per se, but a few years back I got snowed in for 3 days and the only way I could get to town was on the TW.

It had the stock tires at the time and it worked like a champ as long as I stayed in the snow. Out on the icy unplowed pavement it was 2 mph with both feet down. Kinda surprised me how flippin' scary the fat knobby was on ice.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links