TENT OPTIONS
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: TENT OPTIONS

  1. #1
    Senior Member ronnydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Poway CA.
    Posts
    2,099
    I like a small two man tent for light weight camping on my TW but I need more room to get out of the weather, a safe place to put my TW and no worry, room to cook inside if needed, Not pay over $200.00??????? Is this possible?????? OK I think I found a tent that will meet some if not all the requirements and a place to park two bike inside out of the weather. The yellow color sucks but the price at #145.00 and FREE Expedited Shipping I could overlook the color. What do you guys think?



    Features:





    Outer: 210T Waterproof and anti-tear polyester cloth, PU waterproof coating 3000mm

    Lining: 170T Breathable Dacron cloth,PU waterproof coating 1500mm.

    Bottom: 200D Nylon oxford cloth, PU waterproof coating 2000mm.

    9.5mm glass fiber steel pillars

    Come with a waterproof canvas carrying bag

    Unfolded size: 13.5' long

    Bedroom size: 7'5 x 6'5 x 5'3

    Garage size: 6'8 x 6'5 x 5'3

    Package weight: 12.7#



    Color: Yellow only.





    Ronnydog












  2. #2
    Senior Member MrDNA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    502
    I like the idea, but I would worry about that design in high winds. I had a bad experience with a 3-person Coleman half-pipe tent I owned years ago. I never had it cave in or fall apart, but it would flap in the wind something awful and was too noisy to concentrate on anything but when the thing might be coming down on our head. If it can be staked down right, it looks like it would work though. 13-ish pounds dry? ouch.
    Something witty...



    2005 & 2010 TW200

  3. #3
    Senior Member xdac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    1,076
    Motel 6 leaves the light on for ya...
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member joeband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    norcal nutjob
    Posts
    3,304
    Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    Motel 6 leaves the light on for ya...


    but they might frown on bringing the bike inside....



    i'd think that tent wouldn't make it under harsher than sunny weather. any good wind and you'll be wet and unhappy. you'd be better with a better tent and a cheap ground cloth for the bike.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  6. #5
    Senior Member peruano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lower Rio Grande, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,702
    Hey, what do you want a tent for? Southern California is where you sleep under the stars and let the sidewinders be damned.

    Maybe you are wanting shade or do you really camp on the coast where you have fog and condensation?

    My read on that tent is comparing it with the early days of the bow pole tents. They had the poles in parallel or simple X config and a good side wind would seriously change their shape (read collapse the poles enough to make the interior space less). Today's versions have poles usually going in three direction to prevent that scissors action. This tent with all the poles parallel might try to lie down like a deck of cards, but with significant guy wires it would be fine for 80% of the time. So only you can decide, but it probably would do a good job except on the windiest days and you need to decide if you are going camping on those days or willing to tolerate a bit of inconvenience if the wind comes up. I like camping equipment and while I would not want this as my only tent, I could see it being a great /TW garage in desert when I didn't want all the sand and dew on my stuff. If it has a full fly and floor in the sleeping half, and can be guyed to resist strong winds, its probably worth a try. Note: no tent will stand up to long periods of intense sunlight (i.e. 30 days in desert will toast even the best). Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

    Hidden Content

    Central New Mexico

  7. #6
    Senior Member ronnydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Poway CA.
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Hey, what do you want a tent for? Southern California is where you sleep under the stars and let the sidewinders be damned.

    Maybe you are wanting shade or do you really camp on the coast where you have fog and condensation?

    My read on that tent is comparing it with the early days of the bow pole tents. They had the poles in parallel or simple X config and a good side wind would seriously change their shape (read collapse the poles enough to make the interior space less). Today's versions have poles usually going in three direction to prevent that scissors action. This tent with all the poles parallel might try to lie down like a deck of cards, but with significant guy wires it would be fine for 80% of the time. So only you can decide, but it probably would do a good job except on the windiest days and you need to decide if you are going camping on those days or willing to tolerate a bit of inconvenience if the wind comes up. I like camping equipment and while I would not want this as my only tent, I could see it being a great /TW garage in desert when I didn't want all the sand and dew on my stuff. If it has a full fly and floor in the sleeping half, and can be guyed to resist strong winds, its probably worth a try. Note: no tent will stand up to long periods of intense sunlight (i.e. 30 days in desert will toast even the best). Tom






    I have 1-2 and 3 man tent but I was looking for a tent that was between this tent and my 36' fifth wheel.



    I also think by swapping out the fiberglass poles with aluminum poles I could drop a few pounds, 12.7# down to about 10# and split the load with two riders.



    Ronnydog

  8. #7
    Senior Member ronnydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Poway CA.
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
    I like the idea, but I would worry about that design in high winds. I had a bad experience with a 3-person Coleman half-pipe tent I owned years ago. I never had it cave in or fall apart, but it would flap in the wind something awful and was too noisy to concentrate on anything but when the thing might be coming down on our head. If it can be staked down right, it looks like it would work though. 13-ish pounds dry? ouch.




    I camp in good weather but wind could be a problem.



    Ronnydog

  9. #8
    Senior Member peruano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lower Rio Grande, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    I have 1-2 and 3 man tent but I was looking for a tent that was between this tent and my 36' fifth wheel.



    I also think by swapping out the fiberglass poles with aluminum poles I could drop a few pounds, 12.7# down to about 10# and split the load with two riders.



    Ronnydog
    I understand. Swapping poles from fiberglass to aluminum could be a very complex and expensive proposition, unless you have lots of pole stock available and are willing to fab you own. Fiberglass poles are more subject to breakage and are the weakest point of inexpensive tents. If you are really concerned about weight enough to consider a pole swap, I'd keep looking for a better tent. Some of the tarps (giant tarps) made by Kelty and other suppliers carried by REI are great, strong, spacious, and flexible in application - they don't work for bugs, vermin, or privacy. Good luck in your search. Many new tents come with giant alcoves so your perfect tent may exist, if you can just find it within your comfort/price range. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

    Hidden Content

    Central New Mexico

  10. #9
    Senior Member MrDNA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    502
    I've got a huge nylon 3-season, 6-person tent (there used to be 5 of us) with a large vestibule on one end that I can cook in and it only weighs 10 lbs. I never thought about it, but I could probably get 2 bikes and 2 people in there... if I wanted to. I'd be thinking about a nice comfortable tent with a large vestibule for you, your stuff and cooking, and separating the bike in it's own simple tarp based a-frame, or even a simple tube-tent might work if you wanted a bottom. Heavier than a cover, but light enough. Anyone tried that?
    Something witty...



    2005 & 2010 TW200

  11. #10
    Senior Member Bagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central WA
    Posts
    1,050
    Ronny,

    I don't have any pics here, but, I use a large two man tent and leave the fly at home. Then I use

    This to come up the back of the tent, over the top and extend out front.

    I let the tarp fulcrum over the top of the tent, and I can raise or lower the back portions of the tarp to accomodate weather. I use available limbs or the bike it'self or when backpacking my tredking poles to support the tarp.

    The tent, with footprint and poles, but sans the fly comes in at 4.5 pounds and two large guys fit fine, but no gear room. The fly weighs less than two pounds. Add some cordage for conections and your under 10 pounds easy.

    I like the tarp because of multi-use flexability. It is nice to slide under a bike before repairs to head off the dreaded dropped nut issue, it's shade, wind shelter, fly wrap around down game, even can be used as a splint around an arm or leg that refuses to stay straight on it's own. I don't bike, pac or sled without a tarp.

    I will grab some pics when I get home . . . but this works really slick.

    And if you really want to cut weight and never sleep on a rock or lump again, I strongly recommend one of these they are the single coolest piece of gear I've found yet.

    Of course, down ya'lls neck of the woods, I'm not sure what you would hang them from !!



    Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

    "If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Storage Options
    By [email protected] in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 12:49 AM
  2. Other fuel cap options
    By lizrdbrth in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM
  3. Wheel Options
    By nfpgasmask in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
  4. Should I keep my options open?
    By stephenmarklay in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM
  5. Battery options?
    By sakogu in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM