Toquerville Falls ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I haven't had much time lately to get out, but found some time yesterday to go for a short ride. The day dawned cold, but calm after several days of strong winds. By the time the sun had been up a few hours and warmed things up somewhat the wind came up again. I was determined to go anyway, so picked a destination not too far away. There's not a lot of water in these parts, so a waterfall is kind of unique unless it's raining hard. So, I thought I would visit Toquerville Falls, named after Chief Toquer. The first 6 miles were pavement, and right into a strong, cold headwind. After I got into the dirt and headed east it was a little better, but still cold.

I believe this was a flume to carry irrigation water from one side of the creek to the other.

Keep in mind this is one of my first attempts at video, you might have to turn the sound down a bit since there is a lot of noise.

The road was quite rocky.

Last edited by B-dub; 11-20-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

There's the falls.

Arrival at the falls.

Yes, that is ice!

Upstream

Downstream

I had hoped to cross the creek and and make a loop of it, but considering how cold it was and the good chance of getting wet I decided to save it for later. On the way back I decided I would swing by the antenna site on the hill north of Toquerville. The antennas are easily seen from I-15 about 20 miles north of St. George.

There''s quite a view from up there.

That's I-15 down below.

That's all for now, you guys and gals have a good Christmas.
    Last edited by B-dub; 04-07-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks so much for the trail ride fix. I needed that. Been laid up sick for the past couple weeks and with Christmas tomorrow, in-laws and outlaws hanging about, I won't get much riding in the next few days either.

That looks like a really cool area to ride in. Those Falls are very pretty looking. Do they get much traffic in the summer when people want to cool off in the water?

And your new camera mount looks awesome! Until I can afford a Contour or GoPro like you, (leaning toward Contour), I'll continue to use my regular camera. So, come next week I'm off to Home Depot for some rubber sewer pipe stuff! I really not in love with the helmet or chest mount, especially with a regular camera. I'm thinking that even if I get a Contour or the like, I'll still try to adapt it to the "Sewer Mount".

Thanks for sharing your video and your new camera mount idea, I hope your idea will inspire others to get out there and video some of their rides.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Thanks so much for the trail ride fix. I needed that. Been laid up sick for the past couple weeks and with Christmas tomorrow, in-laws and outlaws hanging about, I won't get much riding in the next few days either.

That looks like a really cool area to ride in. Those Falls are very pretty looking. Do they get much traffic in the summer when people want to cool off in the water?

And your new camera mount looks awesome! Until I can afford a Contour or GoPro like you, (leaning toward Contour), I'll continue to use my regular camera. So, come next week I'm off to Home Depot for some rubber sewer pipe stuff! I really not in love with the helmet or chest mount, especially with a regular camera. I'm thinking that even if I get a Contour or the like, I'll still try to adapt it to the "Sewer Mount".

Thanks for sharing your video and your new camera mount idea, I hope your idea will inspire others to get out there and video some of their rides.

Hey, I hope you get to feeling better soon! If it's a cold, rest and Vitamin C do wonders for me.

You know what they say, what goes around comes around. I've enjoyed the videos and ride reports you've shared. I hope to get in at least one more ride before I go back to work. I've been planning/hoping to do the northern half of the Honeymoon Trail. I would also like to visit the Grand Gulch and Savannic mines southeast of Mesquite, Nevada.

Yes, Toquerville Falls is a very popular swimming hole during the summer. When it warms up I'll have to go back and complete the loop I planned.

I've pretty much ran out of ideas for the mount, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I am looking at some other options for cameras, though. Did you know that GoPro sells replacement lenses for their cameras, at a reasonable cost? Seems like they could be adapted to a regular camera without too much difficulty. I'll have to give that some thought. If you hadn't guessed, I like tinkering with this kind of stuff.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I believe the replacement lense is just for the outer shell.

Still a little shaky..keep trying!
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    ... I would also like to visit the Grand Gulch and Savannic mines southeast of Mesquite, Nevada...

Should you find yourself in need of a riding partner for this trip, I may be up for it. I'm at the kid's in Vegas for a bit.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Great trip report, Thanks.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Great photos and video Bdub. Don't want to start any sort of argument or create discord. We had a couple of threads dealing with cameras and making videos. Lots of concern with picture quality and image stabilization. Certainly it makes sense to present something (video) that can be easily enjoyed by the viewer. What I guess has confused me a bit is trying to present a 'vibration free' off-road adventure on a bike that has a pogo-stick suspension. I am not suggesting that anyone is stupid or misguided.

While watching Bdubs video, I 'felt' the bumps and knew I was 'on' a TW. I could almost hear his teeth chatter. A vibration free video is fine, but more an intellectual, rather than a viseral experience.

On a side note; I was able to tone down the wind and engine chatter (I know, I know) by putting a piece of foam over the camera mic. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

If its jittery..what psi are you running in your tires? Let them absorb some of the bumps. I run 10 in the front and when i had the stock rear tire i ran 10 aswell..
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Can you get there directly from your side without pavement? Always wunnered.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links