I think I scared Ronnydog back to california...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Monday morning while you were waiting in line at best buy with your wife returning things she bought you thinking you'd like them, 3 of us tw's were sweating and getting our asses kicked on some tough single track out by wickenburg. I managed to them joining me on a rokon ride. If you don't know what a rokon is, its small weed eater powered 2wd no suspension billy goat of a bike.

Anyway, we started out the ride pretty good. Quite a few rutted out hill climbs..and if you gotta go up, you gotta come down. The downhills were just as challenging. Luckily the ruts were a little wider on this single track, so we managed to squeeze the tw's thru them lifting our feet up over them.

There was only one "stock tire" tw on this ride running a 65 tooth sprocket- Ron and I had 70 tooth-, and he was struggling on many of the hill climbs. He had the power, but he just couldn't get any traction. He would spin out on most of the hills.Some of that could of been the operators fault too... but this is where I can see a huge benefit to running a gnarly tire such as a bighorn. Ron or I sure didn't have a problem going up the hills..id even go up some of them on one tire. I don't think I made it out of second gear for this whole stretch of an ass beating.

Half way thru the ride all 3 of us were starting to get tired..and it wasn't getting any easier,so we opted to bail out and take some side trails and explore on our own. I didn't wanna kill our guest..but he did extremely well. I don't think he even dumped the bike over..at least I didn't see it.

So after a few more accidents we had lunch at the trucks, and took off into wickenburg, did a little bit of pavement. Ronnydog needed his big kids meal fix at burgerking so we stopped there for a snack and went back to the trucks to wrap up an ass kicker of a day. We'll see if he returns

Pics:

http://xdac.smugmug.com/4x4/TWWicken...646224_SBXW3Vs

Videos..waiting on 1 more to upload. Let me know what you think of the camera spot

Some nice steep drop offs in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWyoHfbFKi4&hd=1

Single track riding, and 2 lay downs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmEmhYkOxU&hd=1

The man, the myth and the legend( In the middle)

Heres a nice drop off...check out his front forks.

2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

looks like a gnarly fun ride! are those bighorn rear tires noisy on pavement?
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

considering we were wining out our engines at 50mph...who knows lol. They do have a bit of noise to them doing 60mps down the road on the rzr but nothing like some of the jeep tires do..

Yikes.... I know it is hard to convey 'really' rough and steep in pictures, but, I know that ride was really rough and steep. A few questions for a range of reasons. Were the Rokons ahead or behind, and why? A couple of the bikes looked like they were loaded up for an overnite, was such the case? Lastly, what was the age range and experience level of each member of the group (no names needed). I asked the last question to get (for all) a general sense of what folks are willing to try as it relates to their age and skill level.

The one shot in the video where it appears a Rokon is on a steep climb and popping up over a ledge. I noted some rear wheel spin (like with a TW). I realize on a climb the rear wheel has the hardest job. What was going on with the front wheel? Do Rokon riders weight their front ends for better pull from that wheel. Thanks for the post. You seem to be a 24/7 hard-core off-road explorer. Take care. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post

[

Is this a new re-fueling technique? What octane does one use? I am unaware of this method!

That was an awesome video with very technical riding. You all seemed to do a good job.

I don't ride with body armor, but if I ever ride down there, I'll look like a Star Wars Storm Trooper

with all the body armor I'd be wearing. Yikes, rocks everywhere!

Thanks for sharing.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I think its safe to say all 3 of us twers like to carry a whole spare parts bike on the back of our bikes. I my self have my t-bag with my tool kit, spare tube, fix a flat, big zip ties...and a few other small things. I carry a sammich and a few drinks and a snack for the trail. A wind breaker and a jacket. I do agree we carried too much shit for this ride but its too easy for something simple to happen out there and end up being stuck. I want to ride with only a phillips screw driver and a bottle of mtdew but i know the time that i something as simple as a chain master link will leave me stranded.

The rokons were ahead of us..i spaced my self out big time since there was a few older rokons that were 2 stroke. Talk about a headache!

If it was on the yellow rokon and the rider had a red shirt, his front wheel drive wasn't working that day so that's probably why you saw the wheel spin. You really don't need to load much weight up top on the little guys but there is a rack there if need be.

I always seem to be the youngest of the riders...im only 22. The guy on the yellow rokon turned 70 a few days ago. Id say the average age is mid 40's-60s. Bunch of flippin old farts if you ask me. But find me someone my age who enjoys this rocky stuff rather than 5th gear pinned down a sandy wash showing off and drinking beer. Im sure ronnydog has quite a bit of years of experience. Most of the rokon guys i have been riding quads on nasty trails for the last 6 years. I am probably the least experienced out of the with less than a year dirtbike riding experience.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Is this a new re-fueling technique? What octane does one use? I am unaware of this method!

That was an awesome video with very technical riding. You all seemed to do a good job.

I don't ride with body armor, but if I ever ride down there, I'll look like a Star Wars Storm Trooper

with all the body armor I'd be wearing. Yikes, rocks everywhere!

Thanks for sharing.
    I have my ninja turtle suit on and knee/shin guards under my pants..but i know when i fall over, i can jump right back up and not be too sore the next day.

Neat video. Loved the drop-off at 2:04 in the first video.

Regarding the mount, IMO, there's too much front tire and front fender in it. I'm sensitive to such things, but when the bars are swinging back and forth, it somewhat makes me feel dizzy. End critical mount review (you asked)

Thanks for taking the time to share that.

...and I'd wear that armor too.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links