First Ride of 2012
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plans change from time to time...

Since it's winter and there is no water in the irrigation ditches, I thought I would follow a local irrigation ditch bank and see where it goes. I pretty much already know, but I always wanna see what's around the next bend.

I followed the irrigation ditch for about 5-6 miles, but started to run into ranchers gates across the ditch. Didn't want to keep getting off to open and close the gates, so, change 1, head back to where I started.

Along the way back I spotted this sign. Kind of in a remote area, but this is the land of many guns, so I suppose a local land owner got tired of dodging bullets and posted this sign.

So my next idea was to ride and take a picture of an old school that's kind of cool. Alas, to cold and to far away, so I changed the plan again. I'll save it for a warmer day. I would now try and find an access point to the BLM land via once of my alternate routes.

This route change would take me past an orchard. Last fall I came past this very spot and thought is was odd that all the apples where still on the tree's and not harvested so late in the year. Hard to see, but some of the apples are still on the tree's, but most have fallen to the ground. I wonder why they weren't harvested?

This orchard is the one I mentioned in my "40% Chance" RR, but didn't take a picture. Today I did, and this is one of the many smoke pots on the fence posts.

Well, as luck would have it I was running out of time and I had to head home instead of looking for the BLM access point. Got to pickup one of my daughters from the bus stop, and I better not be late.

Another change of plans! At least I was able to get a ride in.

And the Spit Fire windscreen made a cold day fairly pleasant too! Happy New Years to everyone.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Looks like a nice peaceful ride. I'm glad that you had time to get out and ride!
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Sounds like we're two of a kind, I'm also interested in what's over the hill/around the bend. I enjoyed the ride, thanks!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I havent ridden in 2012 yet..so you got one on me.
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

Howdy Admiral,

As always, thanks for sharing your local adventures with us. It may seem weird that they would leave all those apples to waste, but I was reading an article a few weeks ago about how the California apple industry is just a ghost of its former self. Seems we've lost the juice and pulp markets to other countries because we can't compete on price. The huge American companies are mostly using imports, so a lot of orchards are going fallow or being removed entirely. Sad but true.

I haven't been in the dirt yet this year, but I'm hoping to get to our local mountains tomorrow, if work cooperates.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Looks like you picked a nice day to ride. Nice blue sky!
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Work IS cooperating... I'm off to see the wizzard
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm just going to add my first 2012 ride to the end of Admiral's... Post yours here when you finally get your first ride in. Should be interesting to see when the snow lets up in some places.

So I just blew work off after pulling some things that had to be shipped and got myself out of Dodge to the local mountains

This is my destination. Santiago peak on the right, and Mojeska peak on the left, taken from the local gas station while I was checking the tires. If you've ever driven down the 5 Freeway towards San Diego, you've driven right past this.

From here, it's 10 miles due east and 8 miles north along the foothills, on pavement, and then I find myself at the start of Maple Springs road...

Which a couple of miles down the road turns into the unpaved portion of Maple Springs road, which takes you to North Main Divide road and to the top of the mountains...

I took a LOT of video today, but unfortunately, none of it is worth showing. I didn't have my camera mount torqued down right and I don't want to throw anyone into an epileptic seizure by posting it.

Regardless, it was a good day.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

I did salvage something from the two hours of worthless vibrating video. Figures this would be it...

YouTube Link

And I don't know how I forgot this one, but this was at Starbucks when I ended the ride.

The real housewives of OC... Snuggie Central
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
    I did salvage something from the two hours of worthless vibrating video. Figures this would be it...

"Off to a good start". Yep I've had them times too! I got a chuckle out of it.

Doesn't look like you have to go very far to get in the woods, or back to starbucks! Nice to have those conveniences within TW range (Mountains and coffee).

Boy, it sure looks warm down there. And green too! Looks warm up here, but despite the lack of snow/rain this year, I assure you, when riding, not that comfortable.

Thanks for throwing in the work towel and sharing your ride.

Oh, I almost forgot, I've never seen those snuggy things on real people before, just TV commercial people!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links