Afternoon Mini-Adventure Ride to the shooting range.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Afternoon Mini-Adventure Ride to the shooting range.

Afternoon Mini-Adventure Ride to the shooting range.

!!!WARNING, Maybe long and boring write-up. If you don't want to read it, just scroll down to see the couple of pics and image what the ride was.!!!

I had a rare opportunity to have an afternoon off with no wife, kids, or bathroom remodeling to worry about, so I decided to combine two of my favorite things by attempting to ride my TW to the local shooting range, located about 8 miles from my house. This might not typically qualify as an Adventure or Trail ride, but considering that 3 weeks ago when I went to the shooting range I had to go by snowmobile, I think it counts. I also did not know what the road condition would be, given that we had changed from snow and very cold weather to a mix of sun, rain, and above freezing temps, at least during the daytime.

So off I went with a head full of dreams and hopes for a challenge that could be overcome by the great TW. I rode the 3 miles or so of bare pavement to were the dirt starts, where I was happy to see that the snow had indeed decreased in depth and some other adventurous souls had already attempted the route in what looked to be a truck and 1-2 side-by-sides. I started on my way and found the going easy by staying in the ruts of the other vehicles, which sometimes were down to the frozen mud and other spots still floating over some hard packed snow. In places the ruts were deep enough that my pegs were rubbing both sides, not my favorite feeling but manageable. After a mile or so I saw my neighbor coming toward me in his side-by-side and talked for a minute. He informed me that the other tracks, including his own, turned around another 1/4 mile ahead and he didn't know how far I would make it. Well that got me excited and nervous at the same time.

I reached the point where the other tracks stopped and had to try riding on top of the the snow instead of in the pre-made ruts. The TW did great and had just enough float to stay mostly on top. The snow must have thawed and frozen again enough that it had some good substance to it. The rear tire was sinking in some the whole time and I had to keep a steady spin going along with momentum to keep swimming through the stuff. Only once did it get soft enough, (or maybe me slow enough) that the rear tire sank deep.

Ant flat sunk tire.jpg

This presented a great time to catch my breath and take some pics.
    Below is looking back to the south from where I had come.

ant flat south.jpg

And this one is looking North toward where I was hoping to go. I was afraid that I would continue to sink in and have to turn around.

ant flat north.jpg

I lifted the rear out of its hole and ventured forward. Surprisingly, it did not get any worse, and even got better in some spots that had stayed in shadow from the warm afternoon sun. I even got into 3rd gear on one gentle down-hill section.

I successfully made it to the range and discovered that they had plowed the dirt road coming from the other direction, but that would have boring. The parking lot of the pistol bay was still covered in snow and when I attempted to use my kick stand to park the TW, I could tell it was going to sink and tip over, so this time I purposefully sank the rear tire and enjoyed some shooting.

pistol bay.jpg

On the way out I decided to take the plowed dirt road and then connect to some other dirt/gravel roads to take the long way home. The roads for the most part were so silky smooth (no washboards yet) and just the right amount of hard pack and moisture that it was a great ride home.

I stopped for one more picture break before dropping into town.

Golf course overlook panerama.jpg

Thanks for reading
    Fred, Dryden-Tdub, Ken and 15 others like this.

Here is a better pic from the hill looking into town. The panoramic pic was auto-created by Google Pics, but only came in the small size.

Golf course overlook 2-17.jpg
    Fred, Ken, ejfranz and 4 others like this.

Sounds like you just made it to the shooting range. Nervous moments indeed when the rear starts sinking and forward momentum ceases. Sometimes one can get out on the morning's frozen crust, but then if one has too much fun things melt and the way home can be an afternoon's struggle.
    Ken, ejfranz, Tweaker and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    That looks like it was fun. Thanks for sharing.

This ride was pretty neat with a few cool pictures.
    Ken, Tweaker, littletommy and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Wonderful isolation.

I had a friend with a log home between Wagon Tire and John Day that we stayed at several times. The snowmobiling, quad riding and exploring was amazing. Thanks for sharing the adventure, it brings back great memories!
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Great story and pics.

So when you say you are on the "right" side of Oregon; is that geographically speaking or intellectually speaking (you could mean the correct side which you might consider to be the left side (coast).
    I'm taking it as both geographically AND intellectually the right side which should be obvious since it is closest to Idaho!

It has been said that this part of Oregon is practically Idaho, and I wish it actually was. Maybe they will let us move the state line some day.

Love the ride report and what our frozen TW ers do with our great bikes.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links