Smith's Wagon Road
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One of my first ride reports on this forum was Smith's Mesa. Because of it's beauty it's an area I don't mind going back to. Recently my Father in law told me about an old wagon road on Smith's. Apparently this old road was how people got from Cedar City to Springdale and what is now Zion National Park before they blasted a road over the Black Ridge south of Cedar City. We're talking the late 1800's. Anyway, I wanted to check it out.

Here I am at the base of Smith's Mesa. On part of Smith's is a supersonic test track used for developing ejection seats for the military. The point on the left is where the rails for the track end, and where the ejection seats were fired. They floated to the base of the mesa under a chute. More information here if you're interested.

Here's a video of me cruising up the side of the mesa to get on top. Sorry, I forgot to put some foam over the mic so you'll have to turn the sound down a bit. Yes, I'm still working on the quality of my videos.

There are no tours of the test facility

Looking back to the south at the water tower.

Here I am at the south end of the runway.

To the east of here about a mile is where the RedBull Rampage is held. If I remember right Gerry took a bike ride over there awhile back

I thought I might take the TW over there sometime and see if I can show those guys a thing or two. What do you think?

:
    Last edited by B-dub; 11-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Looks like it was a fun ride. That twisting road sure looks like a good time. Beautiful area.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Here's a shot looking off the edge of the mesa to the southeast. The edge of the town of Virgin, Utah is at about 3 o'clock.

Another one.

The first part of the trail.

There was a lot of petrified wood laying around.

More of the trail.

Looking off the east side of the mesa to the road to Kolob Reservoir.

Last edited by B-dub; 11-16-2013 at 08:50 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like the guy that punts his helmet..that'd be me.

Funny thing is all those bikes have 10x better suspension than our tws.

Cool pics..Its got that grand canyon-ish sedon-ish look to it.

Do something about the tank...it sticks out like a sore thumb
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

I guess I didn't get too many pictures of the road itself, except what's on video. It started out as a decent two track, then turned to not much more than an ATV trail.

More of the trail.

When I first went in on this road it hadn't been travelled on for awhile, and there were a lot of deer tracks up and down the road. Plenty of coyote sign, too. Looks like they're eating well.

The road goes to the top of this canyon, and doubles back like a horseshoe. It was mid afternoon when I went in on the trail the first time, and when the sun started to get low in the sky I was only about 1/4 of the way around. So, I had to come back out the way I went in. Some day when I have more time I would like to make the complete loop.

After riding this wagon road I have a renewed appreciation for the early pioneers that built and used these roads. Most of the early wagons had no suspension at all.
    Last edited by B-dub; 11-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.

The sun was getting low, and I still had a ways to go to get back to the pavement.

That's all for now.

After watching the Rampage video,

I think I would rather be

an ejection seat test dummy.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Looks like a great place to explore! thanks for the great pics....
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Outstanding ride report! I only wish I was able to go with you, boo hoo.

Is the area still used in some way? I see you ran into "don't come any closer" signage?

I don't have time to read your link to abandoned and little known airfields right now, but I saved it to my favorites and will come back to it. Sorry if it answers my question if the area is still in use.

Video was great. Who cares about Contour's and Go-Pro's. Felt like I was riding. There's another video coming right?

Again, this is a great ride report. Well worth our wait. I'll be re-reading this one a few times. And the video.

GOOD ONE B-Dub!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Looks like it was a fun ride. That twisting road sure looks like a good time. Beautiful area.

It was fun! I'm pleased how well the 606 and Ceros hook up on both dirt and pavement. No surprises so far.

Quote Originally Posted by xdac View Post
    Do something about the tank...it sticks out like a sore thumb

Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    After watching the Rampage video,

I think I would rather be

an ejection seat test dummy.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Yeah, some of those guys hit pretty hard. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Looks like a great place to explore! thanks for the great pics....

I'm not sure how much of what I rode is the original wagon road, but I enjoyed checking it out just the same. When I go back to finish the loop I'll take some more pics/video.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Outstanding ride report! I only wish I was able to go with you, boo hoo.

Is the area still used in some way? I see you ran into "don't come any closer" signage?

I don't have time to read your link to abandoned and little known airfields right now, but I saved it to my favorites and will come back to it. Sorry if it answers my question if the area is still in use.

Video was great. Who cares about Contour's and Go-Pro's. Felt like I was riding. There's another video coming right?

Again, this is a great ride report. Well worth our wait. I'll be re-reading this one a few times. And the video.

GOOD ONE B-Dub!

I think the test facility is unique, and consequently only used when it's uncommon capabilities can be put to use. Thanks, yes I just posted more video. I wasn't really happy with the first round of video, so went in a second time to get more. Unfortunately I've had a devil of a time trying to get it to upload. So, what I ended up posting isn't the best quality, but is better than nothing. Glad you liked the report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links