Santiam Pass OHV dual sport / trail riding… Labor Day (9-6-10)
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My cousin and I will be riding around Santiam Pass OHV area on Labor Day (9-6-10). He’ll be on a DRZ400, I’ll be on my TW200. We will be starting at the Mt. Washington viewpoint / Corbett Snow Park and running a loop westward towards Big Lake and Hoodoo. I’ve ran this in my Suzuki Samurai and found amazing views of mountains, lakes, wildlife, etc… plus lots of fun roads and trails. So we’re going back on bikes to explore it further. Anyone is welcome to join us. We’re probably going to camp Sunday night, a few miles off the highway on RD 2076.

So, if you’re interested in meeting us Monday morning, we’ll be at the viewpoint / Corbett Snow Park where NFD 2076 meets Hwy 20 (GPS cords: 44.420601,-121.78937). This is just 3.8 miles East of Big Lake / Hoodoo turn off (which is NFD 2690). We’ll be there at 8am and hang out for 15 minutes or so to see if anyone is joining us.

Let me know if you’re interested or have any questions.

http://www.fs.fed.us...ss-brochure.pdf
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

We're also going to try to do a little caving at Skylight Cave...

~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Update:

We have a 3rd rider. Famous Dave will be joining us on his DRZ400...

Sooooo, it'd be great if another T-dubber would join the group to balance it out!!
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I still lived in central Oregon, I'd join you but now it's 300 miles one way to Hoodoo. Thirty five years ago, I hiked the Old Santiam Wagon Road from just south of the South Santiam/ Clear Lake Cut-off junction to Sisters. If that type of history appeals to you, read "Pioneer Roads of Central Oregon" by Lawrence Nielsen. He was a classmate of my mother and spent eight years, drove 45,000 miles, hiked another 2,000 and took over 1,500 photographs while doing the research for this book.
    The greatest trick that Jay64 ever pulled was convincing the world he did exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay64 View Post
    If I still lived in central Oregon, I'd join you but now it's 300 miles one way to Hoodoo. Thirty five years ago, I hiked the Old Santiam Wagon Road from just south of the South Santiam/ Clear Lake Cut-off junction to Sisters. If that type of history appeals to you, read "Pioneer Roads of Central Oregon" by Lawrence Nielsen. He was a classmate of my mother and spent eight years, drove 45,000 miles, hiked another 2,000 and took over 1,500 photographs while doing the research for this book.

That's cool - I'll look into it. It' would be great to have you along... wish you were closer.
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

We had a blast exploring many roads we didn't realize were there. We covered around 90 miles and I think we are all pretty stiff and sore.

Amazing views filled the day.

Greggypooh had the good camera so I can't wait to see his pics. Here are mine:

Camping up there was great. Nothing like getting up, eating breakfast, and going riding...

So clean... that didn't last long. Those Walmart Stearns bags didn't either. I lost one in just a couple hours of riding. Got lucky and found it just a 1/2 mile back. If you re-inforced the stitching, they'd probably be fine.

Dave's enclosed trailer was really nice:

We arrived at Skylight Cave without much trouble...

Light coming in (as viewed with a non-fancy camera):

Greggy-Pooh, coming out:

~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

...continued:

Mt. Washington:

Big Lake and Mt. Washington

Pooh

Famous:

Yours Truly:

Higher-up view of Big lake & Mt. Washington:

Finally made it to the black dunes... this made Greggy-Pooh happy:

...then my camera batteries died.

We spent the last 3 hours exploring small trails going around the many lakes in the area while working our way back to base camp.

I should mention the TW kept up with the DRZ's quite well. I left them in the dust a few times in smaller tight trails... But on the open roads, I was eating their dust some of the time.

It was a great trip!
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Looks very fun riding and nice photos.

Thanks for the sharing

I second what busyweb said. Looks like a nice place to ride and you all had a fun time. Picture's are great, but I bet it's much better in person.

Thanks

Edit: Is it crowded with other riders/users or are you pretty much by yourselves?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I second what busyweb said. Looks like a nice place to ride and you all had a fun time. Picture's are great, but I bet it's much better in person.

Thanks

Edit: Is it crowded with other riders/users or are you pretty much by yourselves?

There were just a few other riders in the staging area near Hoodoo, but we didn't see anyone on the roads / trails all day. It was really nice.

And you are right, pics never do it justice. Plus, its difficult to get out the camera to take pics on the trails, so they don't even show that part of the trip...
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links