Dual Sport Maps
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Sport Maps

I've not found much of a need for a GPS until I bought my '08 TW200 a few months ago. It's easy to get lost on back roads!

My solution was to download the Android app Dual Sport Maps for my smartphone. That was the best $20 I've spent in a long time. The DSM app allows me to download off-road routes before heading out. It offers forest service road overlays, terrain overlays, and weather radar overlays to provide more detail.

Also, while riding it can automatically track the route I'm riding and then the route can be uploaded to a companion, free map-sharing site, appropriately named DualSportMaps.com. I really like this feature, because I can ride with some guys more knowledgeable of the area and then review the route when I come home, having absolutely no idea where I was when following.

Go to DualSportMaps and click on "Recent Maps" and then click on "TN:Little Frog to Big Frog" map and you'll see my latest effort. My smartphone tracked the route and then I uploaded the tracks to the website. Tracks can be color-coded to reflect difficulty. My cellphone battery died, so the final few miles of the track did not "record." You can see that I was in the "middle of nowhere" and without cell coverage, yet the GPS receiver in the smartphone never lost the GPS satellites. Cool!

Also, the developer is about to market a handlebar-mounted DSM remote that can control and charge the smartphone. Here's a YouTube video of his Yamaha WR250R with his cellphone mounted in an OtterBox and the prototype remote. With the DSM Remote I won't worry about the phone battery dying.

The accuracy of the Android app and my smartphone's GPS amazed me. The developer owns a Garmin Zumo but felt he could code a better product for us off-roaders. I think he has accomplished that and the product is still in its first year of development. Take a look.
    2008 TW200: 14T/47T, 122-link KMC O-Ring Chain, Jimbo C Shield, wide pegs, factory rear rack, Pro Taper ATV High bars, G2 handguards, MSR shift lever, QuadBoss saddlebags.

I do not own any stock and I do not owe anyone anything, except perhaps an open mind.

That looks like a nice application. I use MotionX-GPS for the iphone. It's a whopping $1.99 and worth every penny. It's also a poor man's Spot. It will send position updates on demand or on a periodic schedule to email addresses, facebook or twitter (as long as you have cell signal).

I'm really keen on the DSM Remote control device. With it I'll be able to mark waypoints with a tap of the joystick, e.g. water crossings, terrain changes, and scenic overlooks...without stopping. Also, manipulating his app running on any Android device that has a GPS will be possible, even large screen tablets.
    2008 TW200: 14T/47T, 122-link KMC O-Ring Chain, Jimbo C Shield, wide pegs, factory rear rack, Pro Taper ATV High bars, G2 handguards, MSR shift lever, QuadBoss saddlebags.

I do not own any stock and I do not owe anyone anything, except perhaps an open mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

TWiumph,

When you lost cell coverage, were you still able to see where you were going with the GPS receiver part?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    TWiumph, When you lost cell coverage, were you still able to see where you were going with the GPS receiver part?

Yes.

The DualSportMap (DSM) app allows maps and overlays to be downloaded when you have cell coverage. Once in the "woods" and out of cell range, the phone's GPS is still working and displaying my position on the downloaded maps, and still tracking my route.

The DSM app and the DSM website have rather extensive threads on the WR250R Forum and ADVRider Forum..

It's amazing stuff and will steadily get better.

Quote Originally Posted by rdm2112 View Post
    ... I use MotionX-GPS for the iPhone. It's a whopping $1.99 and worth every penny. It's also a poor man's Spot. It will send position updates on demand or on a periodic schedule to email addresses, facebook or twitter (as long as you have cell signal).

The DSM Android app is also a "poor man's" SPOT, but that function only works while you are within cell range. The nice thing about the DSM version is that your friends can follow you from home and your riding buddies can, too. So, if you get separated from your buddies, you will be able to see them on "radar" so to speak, while still on your bike!

I've barely touched on the features of Dual Sport Maps the app. The nice thing about adopting DSM today is that I can "grow" with the app as the developer adds more and more features.

Admittedly $20 is more than $1.99, but still about $500 less than a Zumo. The developer's logic was to price the app high enough to discourage "fly by" negative reviews. For $20 the buyer will be more motivated to properly evaluate the app before posting ill-informed criticism, which can really damage (unfairly) a "young" app.

That is sweet. I love the controller idea. Need one of those for the iphone

Cool, I'll check it out. thanks for the info.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Thanks for the heads up..I might just have to stop being such a cheap-a$$ and pony up the $20. I have tried almost all the navigation apps on the market, and they all seem to be lacking. I am currently using mytrails, which isn't too bad, but dual sport maps has some pretty cool features. The HUD is pretty cool.

*Bonus* This app was developed by an advrider inmate, so plenty of online support for it.

The app is a little slim on documentation, so be forewarned, you should watch the videos that exist on the Dual Sport Maps.com site behind the "Support" button and the YouTube Videos posted for the Android app.

Trust me, the time invested will be well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links