In Search of.....
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: In Search of.....

Recently my brother and his wife, both avid geocachers, invited my wife and I to go along on one of their geocaching trips. One of the stops was on a hill overlooking Bloomington, Utah. Atop the hill was a large concrete arrow and a monument.

Since I love aviation and history this really piqued my interest. So I did a little research on the net. Apparently in the early days of airmail it was determined that for airmail to be competitive the mail had to be flown both day and night. So a navigational system was put into place using large concrete arrows, and rotating beacons. These arrows are scattered all across the country. More information here, and here if you're interested. St. George, Utah happened to be on the route between LA and Salt Lake City.

I wanted to find more of the arrows. Hey, one excuse is as good as another to get out into the hills, right? Anyway I got some more information from geocaching.com, and from looking around on Google Earth. I located 4 arrows in the area, and decided I would go check them out. My brother and his wife had already been to 2 of the 4, but decided they would also like to check out the others. The first of the 4 arrows is located on the Mormon Mesa, just west of Mesquite, Nevada. My brother owns a TW, but decided since it was quite chilly he would take his other "bike", a Chevy 4X4 Astro Van. Since the first arrow was over 60 miles away and I had a family event later that afternoon we decided we would speed things up by throwing his rack on the back of the van and hauling my TW to the first arrow. Here we are after unloading the TW.

It was only about a mile from I-15 to the first arrow.

The image at this link shows what it originally looked like. The next known arrow is the one previously mentioned above Bloomington, Utah. There has to be others in between. I'll have to spend some time later on looking for them, but for now we were off to Bloomington. Cruising up the freeway on the TW would be no fun, so we decided to take back roads, and a dirt shortcut. First I cruised back to the freeway, then down the frontage road to an underpass, then south to intersect the old road between Mesquite, and Vegas. The old road was washed out in places. I'm glad there was a bypass here, I would've hated to hit this washout at speed!

An old bridge on the way east to the shortcut.

North of Beaver Dam, Arizona. Do you think this would be a good candidate for photo contest #16?

My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

We finally arrived at the dirt shortcut to Bloomington.

We didn't see any Bighorn Sheep on our way down through the Virgin River Gorge, so this is about the only wildlife we saw that day.

I helped to build these powerline towers as my first job after graduating from high school.

A few years back we had a bad fire year that really burned up a lot of the country.

Looking to the east. We had quite a bit of snow recently.

After awhile we arrive at the next arrow atop the hill north of Bloomington. You can see the remains of the tower. Notice also the arrow is pointing directly at the southern edge of Shinob Kibe, the hill in the distance. That's the location of the next arrow.

The Bloomington arrow is located just south of the recently decommissioned St. George airport.

More of the report tomorrow.

Excellent report. I am looking forward to part 2.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What Tony said!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Cool! thanks.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    Do you think this would be a good candidate for photo contest #16?

Definitely.

It has to be the longest,

most desolate stretch of road

in any of the pictures so far.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

At the other end of Nevada, Highway 140 runs between Denio, NV and Lakeview, OR. Taking a break, I stopped my rig and looked around, marveling when I realized that not only did it seem that the sun rose and set between me and the nearest towns but also, beside the road itself, there was nothing, absolutely nothing man-made to be seen...no fences, no power lines, no roads scratched into the nearby scab land or far-off buttes. I looked skyward and there were no contrails overhead.There wasn't even any litter visible. Some of the hills were a good 30, 40 miles away and to "grok" that everything within view was natural was enlightening.
    The greatest trick that Jay64 ever pulled was convincing the world he did exist.

Thanks for that. I've actually stumbled upon a few of the sites mentioned in the second link, like the concrete supports at Cadiz on old 66. Interesting bit of history, but not as cool as arrows on the ground, which I have not seen.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Definitely.

It has to be the longest,

most desolate stretch of road

in any of the pictures so far.

Should have parked it in the middle of the road so it looks like the cover of the book!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

After riding some backroads to Shinob Kibe we looked around for the trailhead. There would be no riding to this arrow, it involved a "moderately strenuous" hike up the hill. Whomever gave it that description is in a lot better shape than I as I was puffing like an old steam train by the time I reached the top. Here's a shot from near the top of the hill looking down on my TW and my brother's van. They're just above and to the right of the red forklift.

There's the arrow.

You can see that it indicates a turn. The arrow is pointing to a ridge overlooking Quail Creek Reservoir.

I guess the person that placed the cache figured after working that hard to get to the cache you shouldn't have to work hard to find the cache.

On the other side of that little knob is my daughter's house, where I was supposed to be at a birthday party in a couple of hours, and I still had one more arrow to go!

After the hike back down the hill we hit the road again in search of the last arrow, the last one I had identified in our area, that is. We followed a rough, rocky road to the top of a ridge overlooking Quail Creek Reservoir. The funny thing is, I had been on this road before and had not noticed the arrow, even though I drove right by it.

This arrow also indicates a turn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links