(Updated 6/4/2012 Railroad Depot's and Other Stuff
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: (Updated 6/4/2012 Railroad Depot's and Other Stuff

Last Wednesday I had a hard decision to make, take a ride on a very, very windy and warm day, or not . . . So I did!

Due to some muddy off road conditions, and the fact my dementia hasn't kicked in (i.e. I can still remember my crash in the sand wash from a week ago), I decided this was gonna be one of my very rare pavement only rides. Not counting the driveway that is!

Well, as the title states, I decided to ride to some old railroad depot's here in the "crazyhood", and capture some "other stuff" when the opprotunity arose.

Note: After completing this ride, I discovered there wasn't enough time to complete my whole tour, so as I suggested to B-Dub on his navigational arrow thread, I will make this a series and continue posting other rides I take to railroad depot's here in my neck of the woods.

Note II: I'm not a railroad buff my any means, nor a history professor, so most of the historical stuff is what I found after quick www searching of a particular place.

Departure: Wednesday, 1100 hrs. Temp 55 degrees, winds 55 mph. Well, the winds are more like 30, but felt 55.

ATTACK WEEDS . . . not long after I began my ride, I came up over a rise in the road and had to quickly dodge this stuff. Only after successfully avoiding this suff and stopping, did I realize they were weeds trying to cross the road, with the help of the wind.

What's for Dinner Ma . . . We all have strange street signs, 'round here's no exception.

Abandoned Farm . . . Just imagine what once was

Huston, we have a problem . . . Old Huston, Id school. School District #30.

Tried to find a photo of the school when it was in use with no luck. Did find this photo when it had tree's out front. There are no signs tree's ever exsisted nowdays.

First Stop . . . Caldwell, ID RR Depot.

I believe the city perserved it and rents it out for weddings and chicken dinners!

Here's what it use to look like back in the day

I have more of last Wednesdays ride to post, but I have to go push the grocery cart for the wife, so I'll finish this segment tomorrow.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Oh yeah!!! This is gonna be good!!! Did I mention I like trains, too, and old abandoned homesteads, and ....? (I have too many interests for my own good) I always enjoy your reports, and am looking forward to more of this one!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

The abandoned farmhouse really struck me. It made me wonder what the lives of the people who lived there was like and why was it abandoned. I bet it is a story that is lost for all time. I am looking forward to the rest of your ride.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sites like this http://www.brian894x4.com/AbandonedRRmainpage.html

give me inspiration to go out searching for old stuff.

I'll finish this first day's ride

The Hat . . . Currently a bus stop, which once was a trolley stop for the Boise Valley Interurban Loop in the front of the College of Idaho in Caldwell, ID

I'd been by this bus stop hundreds of times without realizing there was a history behind the stop. Local newspaper article brought it to my attention several

years ago when the stop was restored. At some point this stop was nicknamed "The Hat" because similarity to a hat, I guess.

What it looked like back in the early 1900's. Boise Valley Interurban was a electric street car system in the Boise Valley, now called Treasure Valley. The interurban

was shutdown in 1928.

You can't park here . . . said the nice gentleman as I parked in front of the Nampa, ID RR Depot. "I'll be just a miniute" as he leaves me alone seeing I was just taking

a picture and wasn't planning on setting up a road block!

Yesteryear . . . I love the architecture of these old railroad depot's. I'm glad some communities were able to save them from the wrecking ball. This one is now a

musuem.

All aboard . . . next stop, Star, Id.

Coffee anyone? . . . this old passenger and freight building served Star, ID on the Boise Valley Interurban trolley loop, and has been converted into a Moxie Java coffee house.

You can see the owners have kept the buildings roots tied to the rail system. Also if you look closely, you can still see the freight door roller wheels above the door.

While doing some quick research, an old article mentioned the building had been moved to the east end of Star. It is now located on the west end of town, so I'm guessing it's been moved at least twice.

Old photo's of the Star Boise Valley Interurban stop

One more stop to come.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Surprised and confused in Middleton . . . started to rain while I was in Star, so I decided to head home. On my way home I rode through the town of Middleton, ID and something caught my eye. Like Caldwell, I've been through Middleton hundreds of times and never noticed this building before. So I was surprised to find a train related building, so I turned around to investigate. It is very near an old abandoned rail line to the left (out of sight) so it makes some sense. However, the abondoned rail line generally goes north and south, thus does not appear that it was related to the Boise Valley Interurban Loop, which rails ran east and west on the other side of this building.

But now some confusion sets in. While doing some research, I discovered that the building to the right in this photo is noted as the first Trolley Substation on the Interurban. So it looks like the brick building on the right is related to the Interurban, but I've not found anything mentioned of what is now the Civic Center. However, the civic center building looks train related, so I better buy the book on the Interurban so I'll know for sure.

Well, this ends the first installment of my RR Depot's and other Suff Ride. I'll be doing some similar rides in the future, so stayed tuned as I will add these upcoming rides to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Sites like this http://www.brian894x4.com/AbandonedRRmainpage.html

give me inspiration to go out searching for old stuff.

That RR site is very interesting.

Ron in Boise

Looks like the area has quite a rich railroading history. I think it's cool that many of the buildings have been preserved. I enjoyed the past and present pictures. Thanks for sharing this with us. I also have an interest in old railroad grades. I've yet to ride one on my TW, but have done the original transcontinental railroad grade from Promontory Point, Utah west to Lucin, Utah. I've also driven the Uintah Railroad grade from Mack, Colorado to Watson, Utah. That was fun. The Uintah Railroad was known as the Crookedest Railroad in the West. This thread has got me thinking about doing other railroad grades. On a related note George Wyman, the first motorcyclist to make a transcontinental trip across America rode over half of his trip on the railroad because there were few decent roads at the time. Here's a little info about that. I look forward to seeing more in your series!
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

I'd love to take that ride. How long have you lived down there, admiral? Must have been amazing to watch the changes.
    Something witty...

2005 & 2010 TW200

Excellent! I also like the past/present pictures. Try to get them from the same angle if you can.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links