Back Country Discovery Routes
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Back Country Discovery Routes

Back Country Discovery Routes

Has anyone ridden these routes? I went to the Overland Expo down in Flagstaff, and bought the BCDR maps for Nevada, and Arizona.
    I already had the Utah map. It would be so fun to complete these, but I don't know how difficult they will be. I am not a very skilled rider.
    The guys that sold me the maps said the Nevada map just now came out.

Although I haven't actually ridden all of the routes, I have looked at them on GE and watched videos, as well as riding some sections. In general, they are not very technical and intended to be ridden on heavy Dual Sports like the R1200 GS. On a TW, they would be considered easy. Usually the most difficult sections have an easy detour. However, if you are riding solo, you need to carefully vet each section on GE and ask local riders.

Hint: get a Shinko 241 on the front before you try them!
    bad luck, TopPredator and JagLite like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Badluck did you run into Ronnydog and jimbo at the Overland expo? I think they were showing off their TW trailers. After the expo they were doing the Arizona BCDR from Utah down. Maybe we'll get a ride report after they get back. I went over to Ronnydog's house before they left and got to preview some of the ride with them on youtube. That's a cool, fun looking ride they are doing it towing their trailers. 3 days before Ronnydog was still putting his modded Tw250 together with the raptor carb. That's a pretty good shakedown cruise and I hope it goes well for them. I am sure they are having some adventure.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-15-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have all BDR videos and enjoy having them on while working in my shop.
    I probably will never be able to ride any of them but they look like a fantastic trip.
    I appreciate that the target market for the gear is the affluent big adv bike rider so they feature expensive bikes in the videos.
    But it shows how much easier the routes would be on a lighter dual sport, and simple to do on a TW.
    Most of the riders in the video are very capable with those big bikes and I admire their skill.

I would ride my TW....
    admiral, bad luck and Tweaker like this.
    James

Attitude =

The difference between

Ordeal and Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Badluck did you run into Ronnydog and jimbo at the Overland expo? I think they were showing off their TW trailers. After the expo they were doing the Arizona BCDR from Utah down. Maybe we'll get a ride report after they get back. I went over to Ronnydog's house before they left and got to preview some of the ride with them on youtube. That's a cool, fun looking ride they are doing it towing their trailers. 3 days before Ronnydog was still putting his modded Tw250 together with the raptor carb. That's a pretty good shakedown cruise and I hope it goes well for them. I am sure they are having some adventure.
    Hey Tweaker,
    No, I didn't see Ronnydog and Jimbo at the expo, I wish I would have.
    I have to go down to Phoenix and leave my van there to get some work done on it. I may bring the Tdub and ride the ArizonaBDR, and the southern part of the UtahBDR, back home.
    I would love to see a trip report from them.

Quote Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
    I have all BDR videos and enjoy having them on while working in my shop.
    I probably will never be able to ride any of them but they look like a fantastic trip.
    I appreciate that the target market for the gear is the affluent big adv bike rider so they feature expensive bikes in the videos.
    But it shows how much easier the routes would be on a lighter dual sport, and simple to do on a TW.
    Most of the riders in the video are very capable with those big bikes and I admire their skill.

I would ride my TW....
    I've done parts of the southern section of the UBDR, but I want to do more. Even though I'm not too good a rider, I think I might be able to do these, especially with the bypasses. I should change my forum name from bad luck, to bad rider.
    admiral and JagLite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Although I haven't actually ridden all of the routes, I have looked at them on GE and watched videos, as well as riding some sections. In general, they are not very technical and intended to be ridden on heavy Dual Sports like the R1200 GS. On a TW, they would be considered easy. Usually the most difficult sections have an easy detour. However, if you are riding solo, you need to carefully vet each section on GE and ask local riders.

Hint: get a Shinko 241 on the front before you try them!
    Hey RockyTFS,
    I will probably ride them solo if no one else wants to come,
    I will just be careful to check in with my wife at the gas stops when I have a signal on the phone.
    Thanks to this incredible forum I did buy a Shinko 241, what a difference it made. But I don't know what you mean by GE, can you enlighten me? Thanks

Google earth I think.
    bad luck likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Google Earth is my favorite satellite imagery site for scouting routes and destinations for places I have never been. The linked photos often give good indications of terrain and points of interest. Recent imagery often has enough detail to tell if gates are closed and locked based on vegetation and tire track patterns on both sides of fence lines. Conventional paper base maps often are out of date and do not always depict the smaller goat trails that are so much fun on a TW. In the arid west I’ll use Google Earth tools to scout for possible camp sites with shade, views, level parking, etc.
    Before the days of being able to do this “cyber-scouting” I was always concerned about departure times so as to arrive hopefully before dark at my intended destination. Now I can know just where I want to go and how I am going to get there.
    Certainly I could combine Google Earth research with any Back Country Discovery Route planning.
    bad luck and JagLite like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Mrs Trip and I have ridden most of the AZBDR, the Colorado BDR, and the northern end of the Utah BDR. They are generally easy with a few tricky sections....particularly the AZBDR which seems to be considered the most difficult.
    We rode the section Winkleman down to Reddington a little over a week ago. I don't have photos yet of this trip.

But this is the section of our ride report on the AZBDR.... got off route a few times for various reasons...... Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on | Page 9 | Adventure Rider

This is up on the Navajo Reservation:

This is down along the border:

Hilton Ranch area... it's been rerouted in this area.

Up on Cherry Creek... this was a tough spot...way harder than it looks here. It has been rerouted due to more flood damage. We backtracked to Rt288 to Young.

Camping on the Mogollon Rim

It was a really fun ride. If Mrs Trip and I can do it...you will make out fine Bad Luck. Check for route updates on the BDR website. The tougher spots we encountered were the Hilton Ranch area....we went the wrong way to the Total Wreck Mine and Mrs Trip had a mishap. That set us back for a few days... a rest day and then a few conservative riding days.
    Cherry Creek Rd north to Young... that has been rerouted there has been several years of flood damage in that area.
    Pioneer Pass... I see they have been warning of washout damage here too.... that's why we skipped it coming south from Globe last week.
    The north end of the Navajo Reservation.... Frank at ZMW adventures and I were discussing the route and he mentioned this part.... I didn't find it that challenging, but he has ridden it more recently than I. There was one rough spot... but once I rode it... rocky and ledges... I rode back up and Mrs Trip and I found a go-around that was not bad.
    I will say that it is harder than I thought it would be....
    bad luck and admiral like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links