Reprise Of the Washington to Minnesota Ride
Close

Well I will be going to Seattle in just a few weeks for stem cell harvesting. This last year (2009) has been quite an adventure-I road the TW200 from Washington State to Minnesota and back--- before I got home I knew something was wrong and by September I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma cancer. October last year I was a death's door and for the remainder of 2009 I was struggling to survive.

2010 my chemo and radiation treatments started to work and I started feeling better. February 2010 I started physical therapy and was able to lift a whopping 5 pounds. By April I sold my heavy iron (big bikes) and bought a BMW 650GS single and another TW200. I did get some riding in this year about 5000 miles (not too bad all things considered half was on dirt roads). I also started a blog Backroads of North America which I had hoped would be where I could place my travel writing articles but health limited what I could do there as well-though the site is starting to look much better.

So now I have to go to Seattle for 5-7 weeks for tests and stem cell harvesting, and who knows what else. I need to do something while I'm there and I need to plan a trip.

So I'm thinking of reprising the WA to MN ride. WHY? Well, because the ride was significantly different than what I had planned. Though it was an enjoyable mini-epic journey, I did not get to travel many of the roads I had planned on because of bad weather--ie snow storms, muddy roads, etc.

So what I want to do is replan and revisit this ride. This will give me something to do while being treated and then in July/August 2011 I want to ride the route, revisiting some places and discovering some new ones as well. Not to be arrogant but this northern route has the potential to become another TAT or OBDR or something like that. Also, I have a lot of information from the previous trip and I think that there is enough here to make this trip worthwhile and fresh compared to the last time I did this ride. Also I know a little about what to expect. Since I got this cancer I seem to handle hot weather better-strange but true. So a late summer ride with adequate water sounds like the ticket.

Also, I'm hoping maybe I can meet some of you along the way and I might want to do something to help fight cancer. If anyone has done this type of fund raising PM me I would like to learn more, (ie getting business to donate for number of miles traveled or ?????).

So that's the plan-if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your input.

So it appears "Braveheart" the name given to my bike from ADV Forum and "Wind Dreamer" the trailer plan to ride again!

Some of the earlier routes Day 1, and 2 maybe be highly modified. Health issues may mean that I will not travel as far each day and equipment may by necessity be different to address current physical conditions, etc.

Though my back is broken and my bones weak I will ride and I will ride on dirt BUT VERY CAREFULLY!!!

Mike

Click here for the original ride report. Some of the later pictures need recreation. When the TW200 Forum moved to this new site-- the ADV links to the pictures failed. I have fixed 90 plus percent but still need to fix the rest.</div>
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    That is quite the rig you have there, I enjoyed, very much, your previous posts and hope you will take us along on the next journey. I don't think I could get my leg over that top case!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTdub View Post
    That is quite the rig you have there, I enjoyed, very much, your previous posts and hope you will take us along on the next journey. I don't think I could get my leg over that top case!

I truth I can't either - I have to step on the pegs or step through, but throw over (NOPE).

Mike

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    When I used to do my share of solo, long-distance riding on the BMW, I found the packing, organizing, down-sizing to be almost as much fun as the trip itself. I sense, from your comments, that it is much the same with you. Really miss that part of it, but as time has caught up with me I have had to realize my limitations. Although I still much enjoy prowling around the logging and mining trails. Thank goodness for SPOT, do you travel with one? Actually I bought it for the bike but now also take it with me in the river boat, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTdub View Post
    When I used to do my share of solo, long-distance riding on the BMW, I found the packing, organizing, down-sizing to be almost as much fun as the trip itself. I sense, from your comments, that it is much the same with you. Really miss that part of it, but as time has caught up with me I have had to realize my limitations. Although I still much enjoy prowling around the logging and mining trails. Thank goodness for SPOT, do you travel with one? Actually I bought it for the bike but now also take it with me in the river boat, just in case.

Yes I have one but I haven't gone anywhere this year that merits its use. Maybe next season I will renew the subscription.

Back in the 90s when I flew in the Bush we didn't have anything like it and I wished we did. Though I ride solo a lot cell service is pretty good around here so Spot just is not necessary.

Mike

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Nicely done !

+1
    2008 TW200

jvt
    Are you staying near the university hospital while in town?

i hope the best and a speedy recovery.

Jim

That is one well thought out adventure rig. Nice tidy yard as well, suspect you are a very meticulous fellow Mike...... Hope all is going well, take care. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Sponosred Links