• 1 Post By ridethroughlife
  • 3 Post By Tweaker
  • 2 Post By ridethroughlife
  • 1 Post By Tweaker
  • 2 Post By ridethroughlife

Thread: Rode Rampart Range in Colorado - pictures

Rode Rampart Range in Colorado - pictures

A couple pictures from our ride

This was the first major off road ride I took the TW on. I am not 100% sure I want the bike anymore. It did everything pretty well, but I've been riding an XR600R for years and am just used to it. I enjoyed riding the bike, but I'm used to a better suspension setup. I bottomed this thing out on jumps a few times. It did hill climbs so easily! I was really impressed at the amount of sheer traction it had. I'm talking about decomposed granite gravel. This stuff is deep and slick and a nightmare if you stop in it. I just wound up the TW and plowed straight up the mountain. While it does this, the negatives to me outweigh the positives. It's not really fast enough for me to feel safe in traffic. I can't dodge out of the way of danger as I can on the XR. Its twitchy steering is weird to me, and hard to trust, hard to get used to. I felt like I was going to over-rev it on the long hill climbs, or overheat it. It just didn't have the horsepower to get up the steepest stuff. Ended up dropping it because it stalled. It might be me trying to push it as hard as the XR, but it felt like the front end would slide out from under me going around turns on dirt roads. It didn't feel very encouraging.

All that being said, it's for sale. I wanted to try one out, I did, and now I know about them.
    TopPredator likes this.
    2008 TW200
    2003 ST1300
    2004 WR450F
    1996 XR600R

How much do you weigh? The fork is set up for light weight riders and needs adjustment. Your steering confidence is directly related to the poor stock front tire. The bike feels like a different bike with say a shinko 241 on the front and a little oil in the fork. I felt like the stock front tire had ball bearings under it on dirt. You are right about the highway power that is a big compromise compared to 650 cc. Since we ride mostly off road and country roads I even compromised the highway performance even more by gearing the bikes down to 14/55. With this gearing off road you are on a much better power band with good acceleration up to 60 mph. But 40-45 mph is the sweet spot and 55 is pretty buzzy.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-14-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    centralwarider, ejfranz and Rockit like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I'm around 180 pounds. I've only gotten the bike up to 56 so far. I couldn't imagine getting it to 60 with shorter gearing. Those are good suggestions though. Firmer shocks and a different tire would definitely change my opinion. That ball bearing comment is spot-on. It was unnervingly unstable. I pushed it pretty hard and stepped the front end out a couple times. It's definitely not something I'd want to get used to. It brings an element of fear to riding that I don't like. I'm all for sliding the rear end, but not the front.
    ejfranz and Tweaker like this.
    2008 TW200
    2003 ST1300
    2004 WR450F
    1996 XR600R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is a reason the stock front tire is nick named the "Death Wing". The 241 is very good on DG and gravel. There are some supension refinements available. Easy ones are add oil to the front forks ( check fork threads) and change the preload on the rear springs. It will go all day at 55 with that gearing on the highway but thats not why we bought the bikes and it's not a speed or rpm I want to run it at. At my weight(167) up hill on the street with off road tire pressure 14f/12r or 12/10 from 45-50 mph I still have trottle roll(acceleration ) up to 60+ mph with that gearing in fifth. At 35mph though I am looking for 6th gear WTF where is it? LOL.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-14-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    admiral likes this.

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Oh man. Story time guys. I started the detailing process on the bike. First getting all the mud and dirt off of it, degreasing, then doing a final wipe-down and I came across something interesting. When I sprayed the bike off the first time, I had it running and I noticed bubbles coming out of the spark plug... It was loose to the touch. I finished the detailing and tightened the spark plug back up and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE! I actually got it up near 70 [tailwind and downhill], but it would have never done that, and no wonder! I might have to run it through its paces again before I sell it. I never thought to check that, it was totally new to me. It feels like a whole new bike now. The spark plug was in there enough to ride, but wasn't tight enough to give me full compression. No wonder it felt slow.

Muddy to clean.
    Dryden-Tdub and Tweaker like this.
    2008 TW200
    2003 ST1300
    2004 WR450F
    1996 XR600R

Maybe try a different front tire (241 4.00 x 18 @$52.46 free fast shipping at A) ) and bring the fork oil level up to 130-135mm also? It will feel like a different bike. Did you adjust the pilot mixture screw?

Sponosred Links