Arizona info needed
Close

I'm planing for the future when I get retired. This is the time of year I would leave FL for cooler temps. Would like to head west on I-40 to AZ. I will be pulling a trailer and staying at campgrounds. As the weather warms I'll head north. Looking for a home base/campground outside of Phoenix where I would camp and go for rides, both adventure/road rides and dual sport/off road rides. Day and overnight rides (camping off the bike). After a week or so I'll head north to the Prescott area and ride there. Then north to the Flagstaff area, then keep heading in a northerly direction. Would Lake Pleasant area be good? Please recommend areas and campgrounds that would be safe to be at. Thanks for your info. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

Quote Originally Posted by CaptD View Post
    I'm planing for the future when I get retired. This is the time of year I would leave FL for cooler temps. Would like to head west on I-40 to AZ. I will be pulling a trailer and staying at campgrounds. As the weather warms I'll head north. Looking for a home base/campground outside of Phoenix where I would camp and go for rides, both adventure/road rides and dual sport/off road rides. Day and overnight rides (camping off the bike). After a week or so I'll head north to the Prescott area and ride there. Then north to the Flagstaff area, then keep heading in a northerly direction. Would Lake Pleasant area be good? Please recommend areas and campgrounds that would be safe to be at. Thanks for your info. Capt D.

Probably THE nicest State Park in AZ is Lost Dutchman, about 30 miles east of Phoenix in Apache Junction. Close to some great riding, many sites but good privacy in the Mesquite & Palo Verde understory, lots of birds, separate tenting sites so the generator noise is not a huge problem. I enjoyed a week there last year. Hot showers too. Perfectly safe.

Another place I enjoyed last year was near Portal in the Chiricahua Mts. Quiet, pleasant CG's and interesting rides just up the road. However, a large area of the Chiricahuas burned last spring, so it might not be so great now. The Nat. Monument fared better and is really interesting, but more crowded and no back roads.

Don't wait too long, most of the lower areas in AZ get pretty hot by June, February to May is best.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Thanks for responding Rocky.

Don't wait too long, most of the lower areas in AZ get pretty hot by June, February to May is best.
    Nope, AZ in April only, May in Moab, Utah and then decide in May where to go. Alaska is at the top of my bucket list. Plan on having a new Suzuki 650 V-Strom for my road trips.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CaptD View Post
    Nope, AZ in April only, May in Moab, Utah and then decide in May where to go. Alaska is at the top of my bucket list. Plan on having a new Suzuki 650 V-Strom for my road trips.
    After you leave Moab head north to Idaho. It will save you that long drive to Alaska......cuz you aint gonna want to leave. We got trails here.......but shhhhh don't tell no one.

If / when you come to AZ, let us know which dates. There are several TW riders out here that will take you on some fun & challenging trails.

In fact, going on a ride Sunday April 15th....
    T. Wight

Mesa, Az.

1994 TW200

& other toys...

Anybody have any info on The Dead Horse State Park near Cottonwood, AZ? Seems like a good location between Prescott and Sedona. Thanks. Capt D.
    2011 WR250R
    2007 TW200
    2007 KLR 650

Sponosred Links