Riding Solo into Remote Areas
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: Riding Solo into Remote Areas

Riding Solo into Remote Areas

I often ride alone into the remote areas of the Shawnee National Forest here in southern Illinois, where there are roads with no houses for miles and no traffic. I am in my late 60s, and I don't know anyone else that rides. Most of my contemporaries think I am nuts to be on a motorcycle anyway.

Before I leave the house, I tell my wife my general location where I am riding and share my location with her and my son on my iPhone. However, in the areas I ride, cell phone service peters out and there is no signal.

I never take chances, but that doesn't guarantee that a crash or breakdown won't happen.

I was wondering if any of you other solo riders use any of the personal locator beacons or satellite messengers used to send one's location in case of emergency.

I've wondered about those vehicle trackers, but they appear to use cell service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by revtbob; 06-04-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Several members use them. Hopefully a few of them will chime in.
    Jon62602 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    "What!? That sounds dangerous! You should never to that!".....Yeah, right! Like tommy said, many of us do, that's how we roll.

I did this research earlier, as I knew that I was going to be backcountry riding alone in Utah after the Moab gathering.

The choices:

-PLB (personal locator beacon)
    -Private service i.e. SPOT or inReach

If your purpose for having it is for rescue if ever needed, then go with a PLB hands down. If you will primarily use it as a tracking device so the wife or others can tell where you are, or you want the sat text features, etc. go with the other services. They have SOS features, but you have to have your subscriptions up to date, and they are no where near as reliable IMHO. The PLB is a one time purchase, no subscription fees to keep up on.

I chose a PLB... this one: http://amzn.to/2styUoD

Also, when carrying a PLB, consider keeping it on your person somewhere and NOT mounted to the bike. What if you are in crash where you are separated from your bike and are too badly injured to make it back to your bike to activate your device for rescue?

Resources:

How to Choose a Personal Locator Beacon or Satellite Messenger | OutdoorGearLab

p.s. I copied this from my original post in this thread: https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...s-locator.html This topic is also discussed here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topi...situation.html and here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...on-rescue.html
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 06-04-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information and links—very comprehensive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

This is also a worry of mine, I quite often get off the regular seasonal roads because I'll find an old trail hidden from view and want to see were it goes. Sometimes these trails get unrideable because they are so over grown and other times they go for a long ways into places that probably haven't seen a motor vehicle in a long time. Not a good place to crash or breakdown by yourself. I worry about it, but I still do it. One of these days, it'll probably bite me.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Inreach if you can fit it into your budget.... We had 2 Inreach explorers for a few years. A great product.

Spot if not.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Don't wait till it's too late Scotti, sounds like you should get one bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    This is also a worry of mine, I quite often get off the regular seasonal roads because I'll find an old trail hidden from view and want to see were it goes. Sometimes these trails get unrideable because they are so over grown and other times they go for a long ways into places that probably haven't seen a motor vehicle in a long time. Not a good place to crash or breakdown by yourself. I worry about it, but I still do it. One of these days, it'll probably bite me.
    scotti158 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I think anything that has been mentioned will give you or your wife peace of mind.

I still use an earlier version of SPOT (2nd Generation I think) and it does great for me.

As mentioned, I can use the constant 10 minute tracking function but typically I just send out a message using the "I'm ok" feature.

It also has the "I'm not dead or hurt but need help feature" and as you can see I don't know what it's called and then there's the "No Shit there is a major malfunction" 911 SOS feature. I've not had to use these and don't want too.

Short and sweet answer.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I carry a wind proof lighter and fire starter - get enough smoke going and they will find you

I've carried a PLB every time I go solo into my backcountry for 15 years, which is ten times as remote as Illinois and ten times as dangerous. I have never had to use it. If I ever did have to use it, I would expect it to work MUCH better than a Spot or InReach. However, I have no interest in telling anyone where I am hour by hour. It is only for life threatening emergencies.....and I expect to pay a very large fee for a helicopter rescue.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links