Kolob, Little Creek Mesa
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last week was a short work week and I had plans to go for a ride during my time off. Wouldn't you know it on the last day of work I started getting a scratchy throat. By that evening I had a full blown cold! So, the following day I kind of hung around the house and got a few things done. On Thursday I was feeling a little better, and decided if I was going to get a ride in it better be now. Friday and Saturday were set aside to camp with the family. So, with my plans for a longer ride down the tubes I decided I would try to get up on Kolob to see if I could find the monument for Maury Graham, and possibly another concrete arrow (see my previous report for more info). Last time I tried to get up there the road was closed, except to snowmobiles. Anyway, I thought I would give it a shot. So, I loaded up the TW and hit the road.

Here's a shot looking west from the top of Maloney Hill.

I'm glad someone beat me up the mountain to clear the downed trees out of the way.

When I got up on top it was noticeably colder, and I stopped to put on my coveralls. When I arrived at Kolob Reservoir I was a little surprised to see it was still mostly frozen over.

At the first bend in the road near the reservoir there was snow blocking the road. I was pretty sure I could get through this little stretch of snow, but I also knew that to get where I wanted to go I would have to go up through a canyon where there would undoubtedly be lots more snow. So, I decided to call it good for now, and come back later.

To be continued.
    Last edited by B-dub; 11-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Thanks for the pictures an video

Love that rez. Awesome fishing, and tons of mud bugs.Thx for posting.
    “One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”

― Edward Abbey

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Really really nice country down there. I need to get there someday. Looks like both of us were stopped from making it to our final destinations due to snow on our last outings. Looking forward for the rest.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

nice! I've never encountered snow on my tw but have in quads and not easy to get thru...
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Ordinarily I hate to go back the same way that I came, but this time I didn't have much choice. So, I turned the TW around and down the mountain I went. It does look a little different going the other way. In the video an older Blazer passes me going the other way. Often when I pass through that next turn I recall when I was much younger my buddies and I were driving home after a day of bow hunting. We were in my buddy's Willys flat-fender jeep, with no top. As we rounded that turn a BIG mountain lion ran across the road right in front of us. If you've never seen one in the wild, they look like they are a mile long with tail and all. Well, at least it did to me then. We did have some broadheads to tickle him with if he decided to get ornery, but he just kept on a truckin. Anyway, back to the original story.

When I hit the highway at the foot of the mountain, I had a choice - turn right and go straight home, or turn left and take the scenic route. Guess what I did? I turned left, of course. Up the road to Rockville, and across the river to the Smithsonian Butte Backcountry Byway.

I have to edit and upload more video, be back in a few!
    Last edited by B-dub; 11-16-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Across the Smithsonian Butte Backcountry Backway to Little Creek Mesa.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHDgq-CDsO4[/media]

On Little Creek Mesa I followed a road out to the southwest edge of the mesa. This provided a good view of the Hurricane Fault, Warner Valley, and beyond. You can also see Sand Hollow reservoir, and the nearby sand dunes.

After poking around a little bit I headed to the northwest edge of the mesa where the Burma road begins.

Looking off the edge of the mesa, overlooking the Burma road. At about 11 o'clock you can see the road I took to get home. On the right is Gooseberry Mesa, and straight ahead is Mollie's Nipple, both the subject of earlier ride reports. That's a golf course at the bottom of the hill.

Woow, now that is some nice scenery. Looks like you've had a really nice ride.

Can't deny I'm jealous seeing such ride reports.

greetz

A little background on the Burma road. Little Creek Mesa was a favorite firewood gathering area when I was growing up. My father, brothers, and I would often make a trip to Little Creek to gather firewood, hunt deer, or just to get away. The Burma road is a dugway cut from the west side of the mesa, and was a shortcut to get to the firewood gathering areas. Occasionally we would take the shortcut up the Burma road. Even then it was kind of rough and steep. In my Dad's 3/4 ton 2wd truck we had to get a "run at it" in a few places to get to the top. I remember one time we had our English Pointer, Lucky, in the back. As we bounced up over the Burma road I looked back to see Lucky all spread out, hanging on for dear life. When we got to the top we dropped the tailgate, and she jumped right out, tail between her legs. With the tailgate up there wasn't any real danger to her, but she didn't like the Burma road that well. In the earthquake of '92, big rocks fell onto the road, effectively closing it to all travel. The county didn't want to invest the time and money to reopen the road, so the local ATV club shot a little off of the biggest rock, and added to the road enough so that 4 wheelers could still get up and down the Burma road. Later, golf course developers built right across the road at the base of the mesa, again threatening to close the road. ATV'ers put up enough of a fuss that ATV access is still allowed. This was my first time on the Burma road in years, mainly because until I got the TW I didn't have anything that could go all the way through.

Here's the biggest of the rocks that landed in the middle of the road. When I first came up here after the quake there was nothing outside of that rock except a steep slope.

Another shot of that big rock from a couple of hundred feet down.

I shot parts of the video for this ride report with an MD80. This is a cheap little video camera used with success on model rockets, rc aircraft, hang gliders, etc. My initial testing left me hopeful, but after reviewing the results this time around I'm not so pleased. I think I could add a wide angle lens and improve the shakiness, but the exposure shifts, etc. leave me dissatisfied. Even my still photos don't look that great this time around. I think I need a new camera. Where's my hammer?
    Last edited by B-dub; 11-16-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links