Riding Wild Country in and Around Idaho-Oregon Owyhee's
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Riding Wild Country in and Around Idaho-Oregon Owyhee's

Riding Wild Country in and Around Idaho-Oregon Owyhee's

Did a weekend solo ride a while back in the Owyhee Mtn's.

And when I said I was riding solo this also means I saw no one else. It was just me and the sound of Scoob.

During the non-rattlesnake season, this would be an excellent camping area.

Good protection from the wind. Plus it's pretty!

If you have unruly kids you can send them in here for a timeout!

They'll have a good view while in timeout to contemplate their negative behavior. (I'm assuming all kids are unruly, so if your kids are little angel's, disregard).

I see a silhouette of a kitty laying its head on the ground in the upper center of this picture. Bonus is there are some additional places to send your kids to timeout just around the corner.

Told you there were more unruly children timeout centers.

It was warm enough for the cute 4 legged snakes to be spying on me. Probably wondering if I brought any unruly kids along so they could scare the bejesus out of them. Hisssss!

Yep, I'll remember this place during the non-snake season.

Opsie, I guess it's snake season so no bringing Mrs. Admiral out here till next fall.

Should have had an unruly kid with me so I could torture, err I mean teach them some life lessons.

Scoob got chilly while I was out hiking so I put my jacket on him to keep him warm in my absence

From the road, I thought this was a mine shaft. Turns out it was just a place were erosion takes place during rain or snow runoff. For the record, I did look for any bones just to make sure no parents left their unruly kids in here.

Made it to the headwaters of Lake Owyhee. I've been in this area on both sides and have never seen the water level this high. One branch of this trail is normally down by the treeline.

The Owyhee River channel is on the other side of the trees.

I hear a jetboat on the other side of the trees heading upstream. Never seen a boat this far either

You can kind of see the boats "white wake" but can't really make out the boat.

Yep, someone wasn't paying attention and didn't remove their camper. It's really far and on a real bumpy road to get here so I'm surprised anyone would bring a pull behind camper in here in the first place.

I wonder if they left their unruly kids in there to teach them a lesson. I just not sure if it's a behavior lesson or swimming lesson. Either way, they'll probably be here a while. I ain't gett'in 'em out if they're in there. Besides, it would be a little difficult to town this RV out with Scoob.

I found the bones of what I now know is the rare North American Kangaroo Deer. You don't see these everyday, not even the bones of one. Very very rare.

At first glance, I thought it could be the bones of an unruly kid, but I soon recognized the bones of the North American Kangaroo Deer. Their fingers and jaws are different than normal unruly kids.

Owyhee River, The River of No Return for Unruly Kids. I just made that up.

You can see the river channel pretty good from here.

Down below is the trail up the river which leads to the old Griffith Ranch on this side of the river. Center right on the other side of the river is the trail which leads to the old Hattie Harrel Ranch. Both ranches were bought by the BLM back in the late 20's or 30's as a buffer for the rising water levels of Lake Owyhee. For you unruly kids, I'm talking 1920's and 1930's. Don't make me send you to an RV down by the river with smart alec comments.

to be continued
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Snow capped mountains always make a good picture. Me with an iPhone taking the picture kind of screws up the deal but hey, I tried.

Did find some single track. Well, actually not sure if it's an official single track trail or cow path. Either way, it ain't no 2-track.

Gov'ment hater I assume. Just a guess.

Did some old homestead ranch search. Unfortunately, I could visit with the no trespassing sign on the gate to the right. Why advertise it if one can't go see it. False advertising, I should sue!

But I found another one instead. If it weren't for the fact there is no roof or door anymore, you could stow your unruly kid in here for a while. Just a thought.

I think this was just a root cellar as I found a foundation nearby. Course, this could have been "the house" until the other house was started...and finished.

This is all that's left of what I think was the mansion.

OOOO! Just across the stream, I found another dugout.

With just a couple tweaks, this one could easily accommodate some unruly kids.

I think this one served as both human and animal quarters. Not unless the boards were for unruly babies...who by the way need to be taught lessons too!

Moonshine shelves, awesome. Grownup's need to drink so they can ignore "loud" unruly kids who have not quite reached the need for a timeout yet.

Scoob keeps watch outside (for unruly kids) while I do inside 'splor'in.

This is what I'm talking about. Nothing like teaching an unruly kid a life lesson while using the John Deere Sickle Mower. Yeah, baby!

Talking back to their parents? I think not. They'll have a hard time pulling this around while mowing the yard.

Of course, you could use a mule or horse to pull the mower. Unrulies would still get a workout. I like to call it a "life lesson", not workout or mowing!

Oh, oh, oh, wait I found another life lesson tool. If they conquer the mower or there are unruly teenagers, you can step it up a notch with another tool to use for your teaching technique.

An Oliver F240(x) something Chilled horse drawn Plow.

"Chilled" referred to the rapidly cooling of the plow blades (n 1857, Oliver received a patent to make “chilled” plows. The plows were cast in a mold which allowed the metal to be cooled rapidly, resulting in a hard surface that kept a sharp edge. The plows were also extremely smooth, alleviating the problem of sticking soil.) http://indianapublicmedia.org/momentofindianahistory/james-oliver-and-the-chilled-plow/

I'm guessing plowing a field by horse drawn farm implement with help "Chill Out" some unruly kids.

As it so happens, after leaving the old homestead ranch I was able to do some chilling out of my own

Nice

Camping here would be acceptable too

It's a big wall of pretty for sure. Hiking is optional

and wet

I would have had to get more wet and do more climbing to get to the waterfall you can see in this picture.

Yep, it was a good weekend to ride.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Fantastic pics and narration. I need to get down that way soon!
    admiral likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Fantastic pics and narration. I need to get down that way soon!
    Watch the weather this time of year. Don't want to ride our there when it's hot, like today, near 100. Wait until this weekend when it will be more like 65. Do watch the temperatures and for rain. If it's raining it's gumbo mud out there. If it's hot you'll be wishing it was raining.fpalm.gif

Admiral, is it just my imagination or have you had trouble with unruly kids lately?
    littletommy, admiral and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

HaHa Fred, I was wondering the same thing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Admiral, is it just my imagination or have you had trouble with unruly kids lately?
    admiral and SanDue like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Naw, no problems. My thought in the first picture mentioned was it looked like an ancient telephone booth but the more time I spent at this place somehow that thought morphed into how much time kids spend... I mean waste on a cell phone and what not and then my mind wondered some more to it being a good place for a kid to spend during a timeout. These are things I think of when riding alone what can I say.

Shouldn't we focus on why I thought a rock formation looked like a kitty laying down!
    littletommy, SanDue and mhomadness like this.

And all this is pretty much in your backyard? I have said it before and I will say it again -- I'm jealous!

How far is the nearest town from that plow and mower? And back when they were being used how long do you think it took to get to that town? I am assuming by horse drawn wagon or Model T Ford.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Great pictures of the country of Claude Dallas. I used to ride some of that when I was young especially the Steens'Mountain stuff.
    How many of you know of Claude Dallas? Did you know the name Owyhee was a nineteenth century slurring of the word Hawaii?
    Hawaiians were brought to work on what became the Owyhee ranch, hence the name. Wild country indeed.
    admiral, littletommy and SanDue like this.
    Phelonius

The heck with the kitty cat rock, I’m having too much fun teasing you Kris.
    You do add wonderfully entertaining captions to your photos, think I get as much pleasure from the captions as from the beauty and history in the pictures themselves.
    ...So OK, I’ll go back and look for the laying down kitty now.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links