Rambling Ridgeline and Raging River Ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Rambling Ridgeline and Raging River Ride

Rambling Ridgeline and Raging River Ride

Rider21, Boarder225 and I were to meet and ride to a series of sub-alpine lakes in carved out bowls of glacial eroded granites in the mid-sierras. However my scouting Friday showed access blocked by too much snow and erosion.

So we ended up at another 15 miles west and a few thousand feet lower atop Burlington Ridge between major ORV area of Chalk Bluffs and Stillman Horse Camp. Lots of hiking and biking designated trails there in addition to the supposedly over hundred miles of single track for motorcycles. After we scratched the surface with maybe thirty miles I am ready to believe the claims. Very nice , deep soils, heavy varied evergreen timber grading to manzanita and oak as we descended into lower elevations. Here is a poor man’s T-Pee we found.

Saturday we warmed up with some fire road then endless single track riding right out of our primitive camp. 18 miles later we returned to camp, shed warm layers and toured the smooth old mining roads to the Alpha and Omega Diggings so we could get chance to upshift out of first and second gears.

Then we descended from the 5,000 ft ridge line to Washington along the South Yuba at 2,600 ft elevation. We then headed upstream along the booming river flowing very high with run-off to the PoorBoy Mine’s boulder plucking derrick. The road was pretty nasty at that point so a riverside lunch and nap seems appropriate afterwards.

Rider21 needed to go home so Boarder21 & I spent the remainder of the day riding more, back to Washington this time via twisty scenic asphalt just for fun of 6 miles of descending twisty corners and climb back up. Then more single track in the Burlington Ridge and Chalk Bluff areas. It was about 7 pm when we finally rolled back into camp after a 77 mile mostly trail riding day.
    We sat around the fire until midnight waiting for the full moon to burn through the clouds while solving all the world’s problems with the aid of liquid refreshments. However somehow this morning I cannot remember the brilliant solutions we had the night before.

All in all an excellent weekend with great riding companions, a great campsite, unusually smooth easy trails and roads. Friday’s rain kept the dust down and gave the loamy soil an almost rubbery consistency with perfect traction.
    Didn’t take many photos, but i’ll cook up a few videos soon.

Lots of small rice grain to 2cm wide wildflowers.

Last edited by Fred; 06-11-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    elime, Mel, TW-Brian and 9 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I am waiting for warmer weather. Bay Area is like winter this weekend.
    littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sounds like an excellent time.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The region is understandably popular with off road motorcycles, forest is cool in summertime and offers a lot of varied terrain. Too steep and narrow for much four wheeler activity but well suited for winding single tracks, railing bermshots around trees, leaning into innumerable full lock turns, but nothing too challenging.
    Burlington Motorcycle Trail System - California ... - RiderPlanet USA

NOTE: RiderPlanet now claims only 50 miles of trails, mostly rated Expert for the Burlington Ridge portion. However single track riding, especially narrow twisty tight woods riding, was a new experience for Rider21 yet he mastered it in no time flat. Of course his being an ex- motocross racer helped. Perhaps we did wear him out a little bit though. 97d873947765c296e4ee7ceaa5fc7a34.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 06-11-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    SanDue, SwampFox, bad luck and 8 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I love the Sierra Nevada mountains, some of the prettiest anywhere I've been. My sister lives in Placerville, and a good friend lives in Susanville, I need to get out there again sometime soon
    littletommy, Ken and Tweaker like this.

Excellent adventure Fred.super.gif You even had time to smell the flowers. encore.gif

Wearing all those riders out, Boarder21 and Rider21, I see you took them on more Fred easy trails. ha ha. Are Boarder21 and Rider21 related, they both have 21 in their forum name? Wearing out the 21's you are.
    littletommy, Ken and Tweaker like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for a great day, Fred! Yah, you wore me out. I'm surprisingly not sore though. Great meeting Dale also. That area along the Yuba is just beautiful. Looking forward to the next adventure.
    littletommy, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Gosh I must have been tired when I got home and posted pics with typos. Correct forum names for these two excellent riding companions are indeed Rider21 from Reno and Boarder255, an accomplished chemical engineer from the San Francisco Bay area. Boarder255 is an avid snow boarder and XT225 rider. Me thinks he possibly had a typo boo-boo himself when signing up to the forum for logically should he not be Boarder225?
    Honestly, most of the weekend was easy riding on fairly smooth soil. While some of the single track twisted and turned seemingly endlessly for miles in deep dark woods other segments looped back and forth crossing the major ridge line and a smooth access road providing opportunities to leave the single track and cool off on a smooth double track. We never did complete the full length of single track trail #66 despite probably a good four hours at 5 mph exploring and re-riding different sections of #66.
    The ride to Washington and then upstream to Golden Quartz pic-nic site was also easy but going beyond to the 40 ft tall derrick of the Poor Boy Mine was a challenge as the road narrowed and the drop-off to the river seemed deadly. Our bikes would have easily squirted between the guard boulders along the cliff edge had we made bounced off any trail obstructions...a place to stay focused.e92b9052c951cc5a6688f9552165b873.jpg911bda20447bd709cef0cb694c4ee709.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 06-12-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Sounds phenomenal. Officially added to the ride list!
    Thanks
    littletommy, Ken and SanDue like this.

I had offered variations of this ride for a NorCal Nutjob gathering in the past but no one seemed interested. Riding can be tailored to the degree of difficulty desired. We saw a family group doing just easy stuff as well as hard core groups of big thumpers.
    "Single track 'till you puke" doesn't have to be the predominant theme.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    admiral, littletommy, Ken and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links