Back Before Curfew an Evening Ride in SW Idaho with Mountain Yawp
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Back Before Curfew an Evening Ride in SW Idaho with Mountain Yawp

Back Before Curfew an Evening Ride in SW Idaho with Mountain Yawp

Rain prevented us from attending the Wallowa Jamboree in Enterprise, OR last weekend. This prevented us a chance to ride with forum member Mountain Yawp. However, he had to travel to our neck of the woods and last night we took him on a 3-hour tour. We even got him back before dark (Curfew). I didn't guarantee to get him back before dark, and Mrs. Admiral warned him I might not so he would be prepared, but we got 'er done. Great night for a ride.

We started in Middleton, ID and wandered the back roads towards Horseshoe Bend through the Ghost Town area of Pearl, ID (not much of a ghost town left anymore).

Mountain Yawp, I found the old picture I was telling you about what Pearl looked like before they invented microwave ovens...or cellphones...

We took a break on the way to Pearl and this "Killer Rooster" tried to kill us. Or was it looking for food? I forget but it's one of those two things.

I mean this Rooster was mad, just look at the fangs on that thing.

Mrs. Admiral and mountain yawp may have seen it differently than me, not sure tho!

Well, we made it through Pearl, barely. A picture I posted with Truelight several years ago of an old mine in the Pearl area. Those bushes at the base of the fence have grown up and you can barely see even the car nowadays.

...and headed to Horseshoe Bend via the old Horseshoe Bend Hill grade.

Proceed at your own risk. Yeah right, we got this!

Made a quick stop to show mountain yawp "Bread Loaf Rock". You can't see it from the new grade opened in 1991. You can see the new road on the other side.

Road hazards. Ok, maybe you do have to be careful on the old road.

Then we headed west on the Old Emmett Road. (Payette River running high for this time of year. We had a large mountain snowpack this year).

Never ever admit to getting lost. Just tell the other riders you're sending a txt message.

Took the group (mountain yawp, Mrs. Admiral and me) up the road less traveled for a rock hunting expedition. We found'em...on the road!

I plotted the Old Freezeout Hill grade descending into Emmett as a little "Road Dessert" to our ride.

We rode 100 miles plus (including from our homes to the meet up in Middleton) in under 4 hours I think. If it wasn't under 4 hours I know we got back before dark (Curfew)!

It was a great evening to ride and we really really enjoyed meeting and riding with mountain yawp. Hopefully, he has been reassured we are not serial killers (inside joke)!
    ejfranz, Ken, mhomadness and 10 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

A three hour tour? haha

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Rain prevented us from attending the Wallowa Jamboree in Enterprise, OR last weekend. This prevented us a chance to ride with forum member Mountain Yawp. However, he had to travel to our neck of the woods and last night we took him on a 3-hour tour. We even got him back before dark (Curfew). I didn't guarantee to get him back before dark, and Mrs. Admiral warned him I might not so he would be prepared, but we got 'er done. Great night for a ride.

We started in Middleton, ID and wandered the back roads towards Horseshoe Bend through the Ghost Town area of Pearl, ID (not much of a ghost town left anymore).

Mountain Yawp, I found the old picture I was telling you about what Pearl looked like before they invented microwave ovens...or cellphones...

We took a break on the way to Pearl and this "Killer Rooster" tried to kill us. Or was it looking for food? I forget but it's one of those two things.

I mean this Rooster was mad, just look at the fangs on that thing.

Mrs. Admiral and mountain yawp may have seen it differently than me, not sure tho!

Well, we made it through Pearl, barely. A picture I posted with Truelight several years ago of an old mine in the Pearl area. Those bushes at the base of the fence have grown up and you can barely see even the car nowadays.

...and headed to Horseshoe Bend via the old Horseshoe Bend Hill grade.

Proceed at your own risk. Yeah right, we got this!

Made a quick stop to show mountain yawp "Bread Loaf Rock". You can't see it from the new grade opened in 1991. You can see the new road on the other side.

Road hazards. Ok, maybe you do have to be careful on the old road.

Then we headed west on the Old Emmett Road. (Payette River running high for this time of year. We had a large mountain snowpack this year).

Never ever admit to getting lost. Just tell the other riders you're sending a txt message.

Took the group (mountain yawp, Mrs. Admiral and me) up the road less traveled for a rock hunting expedition. We found'em...on the road!

I plotted the Old Freezeout Hill grade descending into Emmett as a little "Road Dessert" to our ride.

We rode 100 miles plus (including from our homes to the meet up in Middleton) in under 4 hours I think. If it wasn't under 4 hours I know we got back before dark (Curfew)!

It was a great evening to ride and we really really enjoyed meeting and riding with mountain yawp. Hopefully, he has been reassured we are not serial killers (inside joke)!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

"There's mines on the left & mines on the right, and watch out those G*d damn roosters bite!!" Dennis Hopper. (not an exact quote)

​Beautiful pictures of a beautiful land! Thanks for sharing Admiral
    m.
    Last edited by mhomadness; 06-16-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Fix'n sloppy writt'n

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Admiral and Mrs Admiral, thanks again for the great ride. It was nice to meet the both of you and the ride was well planned and an excellent route. Admiral was either being modest about his trip planning or is so used to doing great rides that he failed to mention in his post that this was a truly wonderful dual-sport ride, mixing twisty paved roads, smooth gravel, and more technical dirt tracks, all with nice views and no traffic (not counting the two cows that ran out in front of Mrs. Admiral and myself). I had so much fun riding that I didn't bother to get my phone out for many pictures, but here are two from the top of some of the 2 track dirt road area before we dropped back down into civilization.
    pEKDxf0_U1_8VBQq44zVxa4MhnibApq446im5qJ4fjbniX3knnTZGcd46-Q5sAMWFGObUbxMAM1zRp34d0HcRWEnE7Zoden6.jpg
    Zv4F92ize5cnjWWdNaWe6E5Zw3CrQo8YsC2uzoVleRhOJhn0wNj2JEWCdcmwivD02KXzv3tvL022OElPK-gH2BMYD_I6yA9y.jpg

That looks great!
    On a side note, is that a K760 up front?
    admiral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    Admiral and Mrs Admiral, thanks again for the great ride. It was nice to meet the both of you and the ride was well planned and an excellent route. Admiral was either being modest about his trip planning or is so used to doing great rides that he failed to mention in his post that this was a truly wonderful dual-sport ride, mixing twisty paved roads, smooth gravel, and more technical dirt tracks, all with nice views and no traffic (not counting the two cows that ran out in front of Mrs. Admiral and myself). I had so much fun riding that I didn't bother to get my phone out for many pictures, but here are two from the top of some of the 2 track dirt road area before we dropped back down into civilization.
    pEKDxf0_U1_8VBQq44zVxa4MhnibApq446im5qJ4fjbniX3knnTZGcd46-Q5sAMWFGObUbxMAM1zRp34d0HcRWEnE7Zoden6.jpg
    Zv4F92ize5cnjWWdNaWe6E5Zw3CrQo8YsC2uzoVleRhOJhn0wNj2JEWCdcmwivD02KXzv3tvL022OElPK-gH2BMYD_I6yA9y.jpg
    I struggled for a time putting a route together to fit the time constraints and yet be somewhat entertaining to ride. After all, even Mrs. Admiral and I didn't really want to stay out after dark on a work night (I was gonna say school night but schools out now). In the end, I just blended some fragments of other rides I've ridden and patched something together. I like riding in the back 40 after work but that ain't gonna cut it when I have to show company around. Glad you enjoyed.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    That looks great!
    On a side note, is that a K760 up front?
    Not sure exactly which tire you are referring too, and I'm guessing it wasn't mine, , but Mountain Yawp I'm pretty sure was using either Kenda 270's or Shinko SR244's on his XT. Mrs. Admiral's TW had a SR241 on front and Ceros ATV on the rear. I was using stock front tire with a larger Ceros ATV on my TW.
    littletommy and mhomadness like this.

Sorry, i should have read a little closer (was taken in by the tire hahah), its the pic of the mine with the car in it. Truelight i guess.

Admiral is correct on the tires, even though you aren't asking about them. I am running sr244s on the front and back of the XT.

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Sorry, i should have read a little closer (was taken in by the tire hahah), its the pic of the mine with the car in it. Truelight i guess.
    Ah, Truelights was a Kenda 270. Sometimes I can remember stuff.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links