Moab and Possibly Zion Fall Dates - Sept 30-Oct 8, 2017
Close

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Moab and Possibly Zion Fall Dates - Sept 30-Oct 8, 2017

Moab and Possibly Zion Fall Dates - Sept 30-Oct 8, 2017

First week of Oct 2017 and a mix of Moab and Zion areas.

Moab Area:
    Sat Sept 30 — Thurs Oct 4
    Average Temps: 80/46
    Record High/Low: 95/30

Move over to Zion area on Thursday (those not interested in moving can just stay in Moab).

Zion Area:
    Thurs Oct 4 — Sunday Oct 8
    Average Temps: 83/53
    Record High/Low: 95/30

Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort:
    There is a dual sport/adventure bike rally there, Oct 5-8, called the Flying Monkey Rally. It's $40 to register with dry camping at $12/night. You have access to the shower house and other amenities at the ranch. Or you can just reserve a campsite or cabin directly with the ranch and forgo the rally registration (but not get the benefits). Here’s the link:

http://www.flyingmonkeyadventurerally.com/

Greg

Attendees as of Sept 19:
    Trial Run ----------- (Moab and Zion)
    Ejfranz ------------- Coming early and staying late
    DaveCo
    White Elephant --- (Moab only)
    Swingarm --------- (possibly in Moab at the end of the week ~8th)
    Last edited by TrialRun; 09-19-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Cleaned out all but details
    Greg
    '17 TW200, '13 DR650, '07 HD Heritage Classic, '15 HD StreetGlide (deceased), '75 Yamaha 650 (deceased)

I'm interested.
    I will need to look into the Zion part.
    admiral, PlacerLode and SanDue like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Great, The possible attendance has just increased 100%.
    Greg
    '17 TW200, '13 DR650, '07 HD Heritage Classic, '15 HD StreetGlide (deceased), '75 Yamaha 650 (deceased)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think Mrs. Admiral and I are too picky.

No Moab for us.

We like the idea of the Zion area but don't know enough about the area (trails/roads) to make an informed decision yet but won't dismiss the idea out of hand. The park would be fun to ride through on a motorcycle with the tunnels and all. We thought Bryce Canyon NP was kind of boring in a truck but maybe it's better on a motorcycle.

We would not be interested in the rally but not knocking it for those who do. Looks like they have to cover a lot of miles at a quick pace, meaning they can ride faster than us on the bigger bikes.

We've heard of great trails in the St. George area and Dixie Nat Forest East of Cedarville but don't know the area. Dixie looks to be a fair distance north anyway but hard to judge with just the quick google search I did.

We'll keep an eye on this thread as there's a possibility we could go.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

There is a nice ride in behind Bryce Canyon in the Dixie National forest. I didn't get to explore as far as I wanted too as Linda was waiting back at camp.
    littletommy, SanDue and Fred like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

TrailRun, I was looking at the Ponderosa site and they have tent camping at $12 a night and RV camping at $55 a night.
    I did not see anything about dry camping for those of us in our self contained units.
    littletommy and SanDue like this.

ejfranz, They have a group area and you can bring self-contained units. If you go to the Zion Ponderosa web page and pull up the resort map, you can see the group sites and campsites. Here's a photo of the camping area someone took. But I'm not sure whether or not this a group area or an individual site area. But this is the environment.
    Zion Resort Camping.jpg

Also, I'm not wedded to the rally. I planned this when I assumed I would be making the trip alone. So three days alone in Moab and then three days with others at the rally in Zion seemed fun. I will also have my DR650 with me. So the longer rally rides would work for me. If we get enough interest in this as a TW group, I am amenable to camping in the NFS campgrounds elsewhere (Dixie National Forest, or anywhere else in Utah). I will check out all the Dixie NFS campgrounds online and see what looks good. Then we have options. If anyone else has experience in this area, recommendations would be nice.

I talked to Jesse, the rally head guy, today. He said for those that bring smaller dual sport bikes, the group tends to head up North Fork Rd to Navajo Lake and then other days continue on to the Duck Creek Area. You can look at this on Google maps to see what he's talking about. Then there's the Bryce area that must be fantastic. It looks like you've seen some of this.
    ejfranz and SanDue like this.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    There is a nice ride in behind Bryce Canyon in the Dixie National forest. I didn't get to explore as far as I wanted too as Linda was waiting back at camp.
    the very best way to see Bryce is to walk it. you miss most of the good views if you drive
    SanDue and Fred like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

We also went into the park and did a couple hikes. I just enjoy getting into remote areas on the bike away from the crowds.
    SanDue and TrialRun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDue View Post
    Ahoy Admiral-------------- Permission to come aboard. We would be very interested to participating in Zion! We don't know where Zion is located at the moment, just that we want to go. Maybe we can generate a most awesome ride badge from Mhomadness? We hope you can "Hammer out" some details in the near future. Good idea Trailrun.( like your name). Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    Ha ha, I ain't the Capt. of this voyage so no permission from me is required. I've invited myself to a number of rides, I wonder if I should have asked for permission first. Now you got me thinking on that one! I do need another Mhomadness Badge so that is an excellent idea.

If this gets legs, we would probably try to make it a few more days in the area as it would be 2 travel days alone to get there and back.

For the group. Wait one will edit, doing some research.

Edit: Ok, this is brainstorming not planning but thought I'd share some visual aids.

We have stayed briefly in the general vicinity of Ponderosa Ranch about 10 miles away at a free campsite area along Hwy 9 between Mt. Carmel Jct. to the East and the East Entrance to Zion to the West.

We didn't camp in this more open area but I did a walk around and if empty I think it could accommodate a small to med group. There is enough room so a small group could spread out should the area not be already occupied. One or two squatters there wouldn't be a problem room wise.

Kind of in the middle between Mt. Carmel, Zion N.P., & Ponderosa Ranch

Let the map program pick the route but it looks to be about 10 miles from the free campsite to the Ponderosa Ranch should a group be separated.

A bonus is there appears there could be some trails local to the free campsite for additional riding opportunities.
    Last edited by admiral; 06-21-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    SanDue, ejfranz and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links