• 1 Post By Donzo
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 7 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By SuperSport
  • 3 Post By Fred

Thread: A Quick Ride Over Sonora Pass

A Quick Ride Over Sonora Pass

On my way home from off-roading the Sweetwaters I took a quick detour over Sonora Pass. Beautifull twisty blacktop ride over the ~9,400 pass. Still managed to get a little dirt under the tires.

I’ll make a road ride video as soon as I edit a couple hundred corners down to something managable.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-13-2017 at 01:38 AM.
    Donzo, Gerry, Dryden-Tdub and 6 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sonora pass is one of my favorite rides, have only done it on my Victory so far...sure is nice to see all that snow up there in July!

Your choice of background music.....made me hungry. I'm like a Pavlov dog when I hear Mexican music..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_conditioning
    admiral likes this.

Video and Still camera's don't capture the beauty of this area as much as being there and seeing it for yourself. For the time being I have to rely on your video and still's. Good stuff, you're lucky.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The road over the pass is a joy to ride and gets very scenic above 7,000 feet. I only rode 25 miles in from the Marine Mountain Warfare School to a bit beyond Kennedy Meadows where I learned wildfire was burning close to home. Figuring it was time to head home I cut things short but still had a great ride.

The TW did pretty good at elevation climbing some of the 25% grades. Fuel injection and another 20 horsepower would have been nice but would have just got me into trouble
    Last edited by Fred; 07-13-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I gotta get out this summer and do some riding.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I just got my '87 day before yesterday. I live about 3 hours from the Pass and would love to ride it with you sometime if you like company. I don't know the pass, so would be nice to ride with someone who does. How long does it take to get over?
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Disclaimer: These are my own opinions & not an official statement of Acme Corporation or any Acme employees. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, or license. Some assembly required, each sold separately, batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist, contact a physician. Do not pee into Wind. Call doctor for erections lasting more than 48 hrs; & Guiness Records. If you already pee'd into the wind, change clothes immediately.

The time to ride over Sonora Pass sort of depends on how often one stops to enjoy the view, and where one begins and ends. What I did entailed about 2 hours riding and 2 hours off the bike to cover a total of 50 miles or so of road above ~6,200 feet. I was able to get cell service so spent time catching up with comms. Forum Member Tuna was just arriving at my recently abandoned camp, we originally had planned to ride together but he got unfortunately delayed until I had already departed.
    I usually focus on off-road rides so may not repeat the Sonora Pass road ride soon, it was on my bucket list of one of the last major Sierra mountain passes to cover on the TW. I still need to do the Sherman Pass sometime. I just happened to ride it on my way home from a camp-n-ride some 15 miles east high in the Sweetwater mountains. Sonora Pass was sort of like icing on the cake, a sweet easy relaxing ride after off-road adventures.
    SuperSport, littletommy and Mel like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Sponosred Links