Riding The Sweetwaters
Close

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree637Likes

Thread: Riding The Sweetwaters

Riding The Sweetwaters

I was unable to approach my goal from the east following the directions I told Tuna to take. My goal was to visit Bofort and two other mine/ghost towns as well as see if Betty Boop could make it up to the 11,300 ft saddle between Peterson Mtn and Wheeler Peak. Approaching from the west I could not safely cross the Deep Creek outflow of Lobdell Lake. So I spent three nights camped up high and explored some but not all of riding to be sampled. No shortage of cold, clear, sweet meltwater. Here is but just some of the splashing
    Maybe Tuna who is there now could get his ATV across Desert and Deep Creeks and on up and over the summit and tell us about it. The roads are all fairly smooth and inviting as they lead all over expansive mostly treeless ridge lines.
    I plan to return...with more gas, more time, and more friends.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I like the "more friends part"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I was unable to approach my goal from the east following the directions I told Tuna to take. My goal was to visit Bofort and two other mine/ghost towns as well as see if Betty Boop could make it up to the 11,300 ft saddle between Peterson Mtn and Wheeler Peak. Approaching from the west I could not safely cross the Deep Creek outflow of Lobdell Lake. So I spent three nights camped up high and explored some but not all of riding to be sampled. No shortage of cold, clear, sweet meltwater. Here is but just some of the splashing
    Maybe Tuna who is there now could get his ATV across Desert and Deep Creeks and on up and over the summit and tell us about it. The roads are all fairly smooth and inviting as they lead all over expansive mostly treeless ridge lines.
    I plan to return...with more gas, more time, and more friends.
    Bobo413, Peterb and admiral like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

“more friends is right” -Tuna got delayed so that he arrived later the day I had to depart.
    Actually the region would make a good group ride destination.
    There is abundant primative camping at a tolerable 9,000 foot level with lots of shade, sheltering trees, endless firewood and a nice view of those two peaks that mocked me with their inaccessibility due to high water.

Actually these 11,000 plus peaks have been in the background of many a view I have enjoyed over the years. They are about the highest things around and low and behold one can ride darn near the top of both of them!

And if you look to the west there is Sonora Pass and the lee slope of the Sierras. Great views. And the Sonora Junction for the pass is less than 8 air miles away (probably 30 miles by road ).
    Last edited by Fred; 07-13-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Another great video of another great looking riding area. Thanks for posting it.
    littletommy, Bobo413 and admiral like this.

If anyone could make it up there, it would be you.
    “more friends is right” -Tuna got delayed so that he arrived later the day I had to depart.
    Actually the region would make a good group ride destination.
    There is abundant primative camping at a tolerable 9,000 foot level with lots of firewood, sheltering trees, endless firewood and a nice view of those two peaks that mocked me with their inaccessibility due to high water. Actually these 11,000 plus peaks have been in the background of many a view I have enjoyed over the years. They are about the highest things around and low and behold one can ride darn near the top of both of them!
    Bobo413 and admiral like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I forgot to mention the wildflowers. Botanically speaking it is springtime at those elevations. Late snowmelt is triggering impressive blooms, some valleys are quite colorful.

The lupine I know and adore, they commonly likes road margins and artificial clearings.

“Lupine Blue” is what I’ll call the new paint on Betty’s exhuast heat shields. New blue and orange paints looks good but dusty. Maybe skid plate should be blue too, if only briefly.

Most impressive were thousands of what I believer are Dutch Iris.

Plus delicate blue and white ground cover was here and there and if one slows down enough and looks carefully there are multitudes of yellow 3mm ground hugging flowers to small to photo.

Betty wanted to stop and admire all the flowers...I just wanted to use them for traction.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-13-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

So nice/great video.
    littletommy likes this.

Splish Splash I was taking a bath. What a great place!

Tweaker and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral, grab Lori and load up the TWs and let’s go ride here sometime. Many miles of smooth twin track meanders over ridges and drop into wooded canyons or 9,900 ft peaks.
    Very easy riding, would be good for Tweaker and his family since his daughter is learning to ride.
    Good camping from 7,000 ft to over 9,000 ft.
    Day rides to and over Sonora Pass are possible.
    Motel accommodations can be had an hour away in Bridgeport for those who prefer not to “rough it”.
    littletommy, admiral and Rider21 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Admiral, grab Lori and load up the TWs and let’s go ride here sometime. Many miles of smooth twin track meanders over ridges and drop into wooded canyons or 9,900 ft peaks.
    Very easy riding, would be good for Tweaker and his family since his daughter is learning to ride.
    Good camping from 7,000 ft to over 9,000 ft.
    Day rides to and over Sonora Pass are possible.
    Motel accommodations can be had an hour away in Bridgeport for those who prefer not to “rough it”.

Wow, this video has some great views of the mountains. Yes, this is a great potential ride area. I'm gonna have to present this ride idea to Mrs. Admiral and see what our schedule looks like. I'd really like to ride here and I know she would too if there is enough vacation time.

You mentioned the prices of gas in Bridgeport in another thread somewhere. We remember they were extremely high...and such a cute community too.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links