• 3 Post By littletommy
  • 5 Post By cowboyjeff
  • 3 Post By cowboyjeff
  • 4 Post By Fred
  • 4 Post By Donzo
  • 3 Post By mountain yawp

Thread: Smith's Ferry TW Duel Sport Ride

Smith's Ferry TW Duel Sport Ride

It's freaking hot down here in the Valley. Up in the neighborhood of 100 degrees. So let's head for the hills and cool off. It's only in the low 90's there 11doh.gifD'oh

So we pick Smith's Ferry, Idaho to do some snooping around. We have an ulterior motive for riding here but it's a secret.

Base Camp was Smith's Ferry, ID. Day 1 Highlights: rode east to the Middle Fork Payette River, 605 M/C-ATV only Trail (former logging rd.), thru north to Cascade Lake/Cabarton rd. Day 2: Packer John Mtn. & Lookout, and short highway ride over Rainbow Bridge just north of Smith's Ferry.

Base Camp

Wellington has the finest facilities

Here's an old wagon train departing the ferry. I think littletommy is driving the second wagon. Not sure though.

Use to have a railroad depot but it's gone now.

The Cougar Mountain Lodge is still here though.

Modern times

Over the river (N. Fork Payette River) and through the woods (and East Mountain) to the M. Fork Payette River we go.

Cool cool water.
    We have lunch down by the river...and the shade of the bridge. It was so hot we soaked our t-shirts in the cold river and put them on to cool us off when we were eating and later riding.

After lunch, we ride Trial 605 which is an old logging road. It's only for M/C's and ATV's. We didn't see anyone else on the trail.

Had to be careful

Though some spots were really easy and nice like the old logging road it once was

But, big but, there were plenty of places with face slapping overgrowth

Gotta watch out for the North American Logging Road Alligators too! Hey, you never know right?

What is that??? Clouds are looking kinda dark over yonder. We decide that if it does rain it would be a relief from this heat.

After just a few short minutes, the trail ride is over. My sense of time may be off as I believe I remember Mrs. Admiral murmuring something about 10 minutes uphill and an hour downhill or something like that.

The trail ended on the Middle Fork road at the confluence of Silver Creek and Middle Fork Payette River

Mrs. Admiral re-soaked our shirts here in Silver Creek (looking upstream)

Picture of the confluence. Lots of people were camping here too

It's only 6:30p.m. and it's still daylight so we twist the throttles and head over the hills and through the woods...and through Round Valley

This is the old Round Valley School with a special student

I think this photo was taken in the early 1900's and it looked like it had already seen it's better days

After riding up to the south end of Cascade Lake we turned around and headed back to camp as the shadows were really getting long

to be continued
    Dryden-Tdub, Gerry, grewen and 4 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Day 2, the short and not as hot day.

We ride up to Packer John Lookout. The lookout was burned on purpose when it was abandoned. Dummies!

You can see over there from here. Our camp is near the river seen in the center of the picture. That's where Smith's Ferry is, looking north.

South view. We did more riding up here on and around the mountain before heading back to camp

I'm guessing the initials and date of the guy who helped build this lookout

We had a great weekend of riding

...and I found another use for the hammer. It's the Chain-oiling-jack-hammer! Jack.gif

That's all for this weekend. Gonna have another good ride coming up this weekend (ish). See ya on the flip side.
    Dryden-Tdub, Mel, Fred and 6 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Great pics Kris!! It looks beautiful there!!
    cowboyjeff, admiral and SanDue like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Holly macaroni Admiral, That looks so fun, I sure wish I was a little closer to you.
    Thank you for sharing all them great pictures with us.

Wow I just watched the video, you are making awesome videos. I will probably watch it 100 times.
    littletommy, SanDue and admiral like this.

Admiral, you’ve really outdone yourself with the recent soundtracksin your outstanding videos. Fantastic!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Really enjoyed the vid and pics! Laughed at the Psycho knife stabbing sound track at the the unavoidable mud hole on the trail....you never know how deep they will be.....keep em coming!

Thanks for the post. Looks like a great ride.
    SanDue, cowboyjeff and admiral like this.

Sponosred Links