Riding the Adirondacks
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By Donzo

Thread: Riding the Adirondacks

Riding the Adirondacks

I usually spend close to a week up at a friends house at Great Lake Sacandaga, NY. About 30 miles from Lake George and during Americade.
    This year the stars did not align for me and the group of guys I usually go with from New York and Philadelphia, work schedules and family commitments. For myself and the NY crew it really didn’t matter much as we did a hard-core week in Daytona back in March. So we really couldn’t care less if it took place during Americade or not.
    An opportunity came up for at least 5 of us (usually 12-14 riders) to go up a few weeks ago. I wanted to do some road riding but I also wanted to bring the TW as well to check out some of the fire and logging roads. I decided to trailer both my ’69 r60/2 and the TW.
    I had recently done a big ultrasonic cleaning of the carbs on the Beemer. And while it was running fine it was also being cold-blooded during start-up. I just couldn’t get the Bing’s set correctly. So my plan was to stop at MAX BMW in Brookfield, CT. on my way up and have the Master Tech set the carbs for me while I waited.
    One thing lead to another and I got to Max’s much later than I planned. They could still sync the carbs for me but it was not going to be the mechanic I wanted. That's a vintage bike thing and another story. So I just left it at the shop and continued north towing just the little TW on the dual trailer.
    Next day it was determined there would be a ride to Old Forge, NY to visit a famous hardware store, about 110-120 miles away. I told the guys I wasn’t going as it was too far for me and I’d just slow them down. The other 2 riders are a 2013 Harley Sportster (kinda fast) and a Yamaha FZ9 (very fast). After going thought the whole disappointment thing with me for not riding with them I finally agreed and they promised to ride slow. Reality is we are not speed freaks at all rather we do like to enjoy the scenery. However goosing the throttle every once in awhile is not out of the ordinary. A here is really where my story is going…

Not only did I keep up with the other guys (I was in front anyway) but the subtle changes I made to the TW over the last year made her a surprisingly able street bike.
    A slight change to the sprocket from stock 50 to 47 let me enjoy the open road yet still performed well off-road. One inch risers on the stock handle-bars and of course the Seat Concepts flat bench made for a comfortable ride. I had practically brand new tires on the bike so this was their break-in period too. A new stock oem on the rear and a new Shinko replacing the death-wing on the front. I won’t ride like this all the time but easily sustained speeds in the mid and upper 60’s all day without the bike complaining or showing any unwillingness at all. Best part is that whenever I saw a dirt or mysterious looking road off the highway the guys afforded me the opportunity to go explore it. Sometimes if it was gentle enough they would follow me and then I’d let them ride the TW for awhile. Always a smile when they were riding back. We did 250 miles that day.
    I did get to do a little off-roading but mostly rocky and dry river-bed riding which is a lot different than the sand and mud I’m used to. Because I was by myself I didn’t venture very far, mostly from a safety standpoint.
    But in the end everyone including myself was extremely impressed with the performance and resilience of the TW.
    The little bike that could.

Here's a short video of some of the riding and other stuff we did. Quite different than the previous year. Sometimes on youtube you have to slide to the beginning of the video.

Here's from a year before with the Harley guys. Turn up your sound and enjoy:
    Donzo and Dryden-Tdub like this.

I grew up in the Adirondack s, best place ever......in the summer! Was there in early June - did a lot of trail exploring - thanks for sharing!

I should add that when leaving my Moms for Maine we went thru Lake George during Americade...what a mad house!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Loved your video! I hope you went down the street from the hardware store and got one of those awesome hotdogs. I can't recall the name of the place. Adirondack Dog House maybe? Anyway, I love the hardware store and usually consider myself lucky if I get out of there for under $100. Just a few miles south of town on the west side of the road is a phenomenal Kayak shop that usually manages to get some of my hard earned money as well. Wish I could have joined you because I love Old Forge in the summer and fall months.....

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I live just south of the Adirondacks. My 2008 TW has just over 1000 total miles and is barely broken in. 15 tooth in front and 47 in the rear. It will do 60+ but just barely. Unfortunately, in the ADK park they have what's called, "Forever Wild". Which means nothing by snow machines on any trails. Rangers told me they can't even use chainsaws to clear trails. I know if they opened them the morons would ruin if for the rest, but it's soo tempting.

Just watched the video. Can't believe you were in Northville. And yes, you can't get off a TW without smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    I should add that when leaving my Moms for Maine we went thru Lake George during Americade...what a mad house!
    It's probably an ironic statement to make but that whole area is much nicer to explore and ride when it is NOT Americade. Too many motorcycles mixed with a dash of morons. I have seen some of the stupidest accidents on Main Street, Lake George where everyone tries to show off how fast they can spin their wheels and then... the rubber catches traction. And these are Big Twins. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Loved your video! I hope you went down the street from the hardware store and got one of those awesome hotdogs. I can't recall the name of the place. Adirondack Dog House maybe? Anyway, I love the hardware store and usually consider myself lucky if I get out of there for under $100. Just a few miles south of town on the west side of the road is a phenomenal Kayak shop that usually manages to get some of my hard earned money as well. Wish I could have joined you because I love Old Forge in the summer and fall months.....

Tom
    During the weekdays everything closes at 4:00pm so that Hot Dog place was closed too.
    The Hardware store is pretty incredible especially the section where you feel like it's the 1930's. There were a bunch of folks wandering around there in traditional Amish garb and clothing including matching Bonnet's for the Mom and little girls. Kinda disappointed that they would have dress-up characters wandering the aisles of the store like at Disney pretending to be shopping.
    Then I realized they were real Amish folks doing what I was doing... shopping, buying copper cake and jello molds.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    It's probably an ironic statement to make but that whole area is much nicer to explore and ride when it is NOT Americade. Too many motorcycles mixed with a dash of morons. I have seen some of the stupidest accidents on Main Street, Lake George where everyone tries to show off how fast they can spin their wheels and then... the rubber catches traction. And these are Big Twins. Idiots.
    Agreed - we saw our fair share of close calls while driving through - one guy on a Sportster kept trying to pull a wheelie and hit/messed up the rear fender of the guy in front of him. Did not look like the kind of guy you want to hit! All the bars were packed at 11:30 am.....prob producing plenty of liquid courage and perceived riding skills later :/
    We saw a large group of Amish at Niagara Falls. They were having a great time - but the sure get stared at.
    Last edited by Donzo; 07-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

"Liquid Courage".

Good One.

Sponosred Links