Moose Creek N. Idaho - I spotted a Bullwinkle
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Moose Creek N. Idaho - I spotted a Bullwinkle

Moose Creek N. Idaho - I spotted a Bullwinkle

Preview Pic's & video.

We had some pretty good scenic riding.

I wish I was retired full-time gee-dang-it!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Day 1 video.

Camping on Moose Creek near Bovill, ID. Day 1 we ride around Beal Butte and Mica Mtn. Highlights of the ride were riding an old mine area filled in with water and now called Blue Lagoons by the locals, finding numerous OHV trails we didn't know existed, an unintended cattle drive, gosh they wouldn't get out of the way, very very cool to see a moose, and a nearby old truck along a dredged out creek and a bonus find of the Mica Mtn. trail system. We would return to ride more of the trails on Day 3. Day 2 will take us to Elk River then all the logging roads to Grandad Bridge and return.

Dryden-Tdub, tuna, Ken and 9 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Cool Kris. I saw a moose (my first ever) on the 19th.

I rode my CB500X up to Grangeville. The next day to Kooskia and turned east across HWY 12, eventually spending the night in Missoula Montana. Then reversed the route.
    99 miles of twisty forest mountain roads with the river down below, between Kooskia and the border.
    Damn. I took some pics just for you at a 1920's Ranger Station with Lookout Tower models inside. But apparently I deleted them off the phone thinking I had already put them on the computer.

The ride would be fine on the TW to The Lochsa Lodge. But if you continue past into Montana; the speed limit jumps too high. Spend the night at the Lodge and ride back to your truck the next day in Kooskia. Weekend traffic would probably be much higher though.

admiral, Ken, ejfranz and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

RSCN1194.JPG

My Wyoming Bullwinkle in June, looked a little ragged as he was just looseing his winter coat.
    Last edited by tuna; 07-28-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    admiral, Ken, Toecutter and 2 others like this.

Look what the moose drug out, other moosie pictures and videos. Very cool. This was the first bull moose I've seen this close. Not that it would've helped in my escape but should the moose have charged I kept my TW running. False peace of mind I suppose. Had I not been standing up on the pegs to rest my "rear-admiral" I wouldn't have seen it sitting down. Sometimes one gets lucky!

Day 1 pictures to follow soon. And by soon I mean sometime this weekend. This is a down weekend to get everything around the ranch back in order before I head down south to the Sweetwater ride with Fred and the boys & girls.
    Ken, ejfranz, Toecutter and 1 others like this.

Yeah, gotta watch out for them mooses. They be dangerous.

So Kris, nice video. Very yellow foliage at times. Using a UV filter? New camera? Magic of the northern summer woods?
    admiral, Ken, Toecutter and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yeah, gotta watch out for them mooses. They be dangerous.

So Kris, nice video. Very yellow foliage at times. Using a UV filter? New camera? Magic of the northern summer woods?

Backup Camera not so good when it comes to brightness. No filters just crappy camera. Does good when not so bright though.
    Toecutter and littletommy like this.

The real Day 1 before the Day 1.

We're camping with grandma & grandpa and head into Moscow to watch "Dunkirk" with them and one or our girls...who works there. I think I qualified for the senior discount. Bummer as it's just another sign of getting older!

Woke up to the steam coming off the water in the early morning. This was a morning daily occurrence which was missed by most as they slept in too late to see it.

Then we stopped at the old Troy, ID High School on our way back from the movies.

Big school in it's heyday

Continued on the riding Day 1
    Toecutter and littletommy like this.

Riding Day 1 - not the movies!

Mrs. Admiral and I headed out of camp at the crack of 1100 a.m. ish and poked around an old open pit mining area now filled in with water.

At another nearby pit, we find this is where the fun is. The water looked inviting from a distance but up close it was kind of trashy from all the people who frequent the place.

On down the road, I spot this neat tree growing in a stump in a creek drainage just off of the roadway

At the same place, I find another neat item, the "Three stumped tree". You can see the old "Plank notches" the loggers used to notch in the tree's when they were cutting them down. This stump would have been from the early 1900's

As it turns out, there is an OHV trail system which starts/ends near these stumps. This was a rare single track trail entrance. Other than this 2-1/2 mile single track, all the rest of the trails were ATV and fun as all-get-out!

So we continued on down the road. Unknowingly, we took another trail and for the time being had bypassed the main trail system. This actually would pay off later in the day.

The payoff was me spotting this moose out in the water.

Had I not been standing up to rest my "rear-admiral", I would not have seen the moose. Unfortunately, Mrs. Admiral was ahead of me and missed the whole encounter. She gets to see the pictures just like you

He was a younger moose but still very impressive.

As seen in the earlier posted video, we found the OHV Trail. It was getting late but we thought the trail would take us back to camp. Took us the wrong direction so, after some really fun but short trail-time, we bailed off the trails back on the road and headed back to camp.

While I waited for the dust to settle after Mrs. Admiral headed off down the road back to camp, I spent some quality time with the Daisy's!

Continued on Day 2
    Fred, Peterb, Toecutter and 2 others like this.

When we lived in Wyoming it was common in the winter to have a moose in the Carport or bedded down in the front yard. Just give them there space and all's ok. You don't want to mess with a moose. People that haven't been around one have no idea how big they are, a 6' person just cones up to there shoulder, there BIG and that's a Shirus moose the ones in Alaska are BIGGER yet, a different variety
    Last edited by tuna; 07-30-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    admiral, Toecutter and littletommy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links