Idaho City
Close

Thread: Idaho City

I have gone riding on trails up by Idaho City twice in the last week. had a lot of fun except when my front tire slid out from underneath me. I have the stock front tire mounted and it seems that it doesn't get traction on either hard packed sandy trails or anything with a little loose top on it. I am hesitant to lean the bike into the corners due to this, I find myself sitting upright, slowing way down and turning the wheel to try and make a corner, it's irritating. I wonder if I mounted a more aggressive knobby front tire if it would help me? who knows? Thanks.

I'm no expert, but will say that the front tire is a bad joke when it comes to off-pavement traction. Here is a link for a little more research until more ideas are offered up. Gerry

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/3831-front-tire-choices/page__p__35713__hl__sr244__fromsearch__1#entry3571 3
    Take care my Friend.........

My "fear-factor" went down appreciably when I got rid of my stock front tire and put on a Kenda 270. A -much- better option for the loose stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You actually saw how well the Kenda K760-110/100x18 Trak Master stuck in the corners when we were out to Bender Creek. Big Twin ordered mine in for me and did the install. The 270 tread looks more like what would work at the Walmart Parking lot.

Glad to hear that the dealer got Larry's bike sorted out.

We had a little more of a workout Thursday on the single tracks. 27 miles and Tylenol is my friend.

Holler when you guys are going for another adventure. Being retired, I always have time for just such adventures.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise.

Dan,

I always lower my tire pressure (a lot) when riding off-road if you don't already. 10-12 psi. does me pretty well and should help even on the stock tire. But, you'll find changing your front tire as Truelight and Ron have mentioned will be the way you end up going sooner or later. Mrgizmow's given you a good thread to start with. I run a Shinko 244 Golden Boy, which is very similar to Truelights K270, but it you want some real off-road grip, Ron's 706 will be even better.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Dan, some good pointers here, I would like to add that the way you weight the bike really makes a huge differance. What I mean is, when you are entering a left turn downforce in the left peg will initiate your turn, then as you are negotiating the turn, transfer the weight onto the right peg while leaning the bike into your left.

I hope this makes sense.

By weighting the right peg in a left turn, you can lean the bike left to make your corner, but have less possibility of washing out because of the weighted right peg.

Keep trying and being that aware! Good on you for looking for help and working on getting better, that attitude will make it easier!

feel free to ask about any possible mistake, cause I have sure made them already!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Thanks for all the help, I lowered my air pressure to 12 lbs. last time out from 15 psi, I guess it helped but didn't notice a difference, I think I am going to put on a Kenda K760-110/100x18 Trak Master and see what happens, hopefully I can still ride to the store and back in town with it. And thanks for the weight on the pegs tip, I am going to practice that to become a better rider

Sponosred Links