Escapades of the GCRAD1 Yamaha TW200
Close

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree826Likes

Thread: Escapades of the GCRAD1 Yamaha TW200

Escapades of the GCRAD1 Yamaha TW200

MY NEW TO ME 2016 YAMAHA TW200

Hello TW200FORUM from Southern California!!!

I've been lurking here for a while and finally pulled the trigger on the T-DUB!
    I was talking with a buddy of mine about these cool bikes as I've been following them via the TW200 THREAD ON ADVRider.com
    In talking with him, he pulled the trigger quick and got his first and found me this clean 2016 rig with 300-miles on the odometer soon after!

2016 YAMAHA TW200 PURCHASED JULY 30, 2017 - with 318-miles on the odometer! BOOM!

But before we get too carried away, here is my motorized 2-wheeled background.
    I started riding at the age of 5 in the woods of Alabama on a Yamaha JT1. My family raced flat track and my dad was a Yamaha nut! Later I grew into a Yamaha DT175, but I was so short aka young at age-11, my dad removed the stock seat and used a seat that looked like it came from a speedway bike. My first street bike (age 14) was a Honda CMT400. Yes, in Alabama back 1980, you could get your driver's license for a motorcycle at age 14! At the age of 16 I got the Kawasaki Spectre 750. I would go off to college and made my way to California to finish school. First job out of school I acquired a Yamaha RZ350 from a co-worker with my first paycheck! Got married, got kids, got away from bikes due to other motorsport endeavors. Found myself on a friends 1996 Honda XR400 over a Thanksgiving desert family outing back on November 26, 2005. Three weeks later had myself a 1997 Honda XR400 with a license plate! Later, the wifey asked if we could get another street bike again (we met on the RZ350) and I knew the exact bike to get! I purchased a 2005 KTM 950ADV! Got my girls some Honda XR100's... they grew... sold one, kept one and "adulterized" the Honda XR100 with tall seat and BBR everything! Also acquired 1998 ATK 605DS. We also acquired a 1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk to replace the KTM 950ADV.

While the little XR100 is SO FUN, it does not have what I refer to as the "ghetto pass" aka California License Plate! Enter the TW200! The TDUB is not just a straight replacement with legal status, its a mindset change too. I'm getting older and I don't bounce so well off the dirt any more. I'm in my exploratory years... hehehe, at least that is what I am telling myself. Same time, this might explain it a little better.. I drive an 80-Series Toyota Land Cruiser as a daily driver dubbed the ADV80.

This is going to be fun!

A bike I can touch the ground on with my 29" inseam and take photos from!
    Last edited by GCRAD1; 07-07-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Hey welcome.
    Ken, GCRAD1 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

You have a very nice bike, enjoy it and ride safe

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Welcome from northeast Ohio!

Ken
    Welcome from Texas
    GCRAD1 and jtomelliott49 like this.

FIRST FIX TO FIX - YAMAHA TW200 Turn Signal Switch Service:
    The previous owner had a nice tumble in the sand of Pismo Beach and the right turn signal switch was stuck ON blinking position.

That had to get diagnosed and fixed right away and it took several attempts to sort the details! I should have taken photos from the beginning but you know how it is when you get all excited about a new bike!
    This first photo was after cleaning it two or three times and yet it was still not working and I remembered I should be shooting photos!

Eventually, through he process of taking apart, cleaning, greasing and re-assembling, and digging down further, I made my way to the very bottom layer of the switching mechanism.
    At the very bottom is where the real work is done! Up top is all the cool mechanical stuff, but here is where the real sticky issue is happening!

After a few attempts of spraying it out, it was still gritty, so the only solution was to pop it open and get them little sand critters out!

Fully disabled I can get to the gritty-grit and see just how this little item handles the functionality of switching from left to right turn signals.

The bottom of the switch bucket was full of crust and grim as it was obvious the previous owner was attempting to spray out the sand with some type of super syrupy orange juice with magna-pulp. My solution was to run it under warm water with a thick coat of self bubbling hand soap.

With the bottom bucket portion of the switch assembly cleaned and dried, now I can start putting the Japanese jig-saw puzzle back together.
    First in is the horn button.

Next is switching system dropping back into place. Why yes, that is a judicious amount of dielectric grease applied to the switch.

With the switch in place, it's worth the effort to manually test the switch. This is the middle position.

This is the switch in the Left turn signal position.

This is the switch in the Right turn signal position.

You can see the switch down in the bottom of the case and in next is the mechanical - metal movement. It's interesting how the brass pins passing through the plate are actually what moves the switch left to right with the centering ability. This is a two part piece that has to go in at the same time. There is a spring loaded bearing in the white plastic piece I am holding and for the whole mechanism to fit into the house, it needs a little attitude to slide in so that the "switch" has the retention needed so it doesn't flop around. #HowThingsTick

All the bits back into place - but wait, there's MORE!

We are getting close to buttoning it all back up, but we have to lay all those wires back in...

And those wires need to be covered and secured!

As such. Give it a quick test before covering everything entirely.

Then the final protective cover in set in and bolted down.
    Ready to be reassembled to the handlebar.
    Pedals, Tweaker, Ken and 14 others like this.

Nice write up!
    Ken, littletommy, GCRAD1 and 1 others like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I didn't read your entire motorcycle resume because after the word "Flat Track", the picture of the bike and pick-up truck, that was cool enough.
    Congrats on the bike and welcome.
    Ken, littletommy, GCRAD1 and 3 others like this.

Congrats on the bike and great write up!

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links