WA Larry's 2017 Moab thread
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: WA Larry's 2017 Moab thread

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

WA Larry's 2017 Moab thread

I've been working a lot, and then playing a lot, so I haven't made the time to work on editing video. I got one done, so I thought I'd start this thread to post what I get done to. Below is Day 2 - Chicken Corners via Kane Springs Rd and Hurrah Pass.

I brought Sidekick Chad and his XT225 and Kevin and his WR450F to the Moab meetup in April, so you'll see them a lot here as in most of my videos since they are my most reliable riding buddies. They've never ridden in Moab before, so we did some classics and scenic rides. We all have Sena communicators, so that is the source of the voice audio in the videos. I mostly turn the camera on when I'm expecting cool scenery or terrain or challenges or just to get some of the changing landscape, then I'm just b.s.-ing with the boys. I'm not always proud of what comes out of my mouth, but it's me, it's life, take it or leave it I guess.

Day 1 the GoPro was a no-go, so no no footage of Sovereign ATV trail and Seven Mile Rim trail from that day. Here are a few pics...

WP_20170330_006.jpgWP_20170331_002.jpgWP_20170401_006.jpgWP_20170401_009.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 08-02-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    Tweaker, Ken, SanDue and 5 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Ken, Purple, SanDue and 4 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Okay, Day 2...

While all of the crazies went to do the crack and spike and hard trails, I wasn't feeling up for that challenge on day 2 of what was basically day 2 of the riding season, since it had rained for 10 months back up in the Pacific NW. I wanted the boys to see some scenery, so I planned to take them down to town, out Kane Springs Rd. at the McDonalds, over Hurrah Pass and out to Chicken Corners. Somehow, we picked up vanillagorilla, who had planned to ride with the crazies. I guess we looked nuts, because he assumed we were going on that ride and followed us all of the way to town. Now stuck with us, he flew past us all day. I didn't know a t-dub could do what he did on his.

I use the Moab 4x4 book for planning, so I also had #33 in my GPS which was Jackson Hole, a "moderate" rating in the book. It is a spur road off of the main road out to Chicken Corners, so we took it on our way back. It goes out for a while and then does a loop. Gorgeous! Kind of a bouncy, rough ride, but it rounded out the day of just amazing scenery. We also bumped into some other dubbers a couple of times along the way.

Enjoy...

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 08-29-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    Ken, Purple, admiral and 11 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.

"Crazies" eh? Too Funny.

In May I (we) rode Chicken Corners which was my first time in 4 Moab trips. Watching your video I'm now positive we didn't go to the turn around point "Chicken Corners". Where we stopped there wasn't the hiking trail to the real Chicken Corner. I'm sure we stopped to soon now. I had it in the back of my mind to ride the Jackson Loop but it was getting late so I didn't suggest it. Cool Stuff! ...so far.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

There are a couple of nice overlook areas along that road. The one at the end is great, especially if you aren't a chicken and walk around the corner (it's not that bad at all). The last two pics in the chicken corners part are from around the other side. Also, from the other side you are able to look all around towards the SW and see features inside of Canyonlands NP. The Jackson Hole ride in-out-loop is also very scenic and well worth it next time. I recommend it.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Slickrock Bike Trail

Day 3 - Sand Flats and the slickrock

A group of us headed down to town and up to the Sand Flats Recreation Area to ride the Slickrock Bike Trail. Two previous Moab meet-ups and I had not been on this quintessential trail! It lived up to its lore. Gorgeous scenery, of course. Up and downhill slopes you may need a adult diaper for. Side hill riding next to canyon cliffs, etc., etc. As I sort of mention towards the end of my video, it was more difficult than I thought it would be for me. I mean, it's clearly totally do-able since nobody in our group ever actually crashed, but some of the tight switches, steep uphill slopes with bumps or ledges in the middle of the climb, and some of the near vertical bunny hops you needed to make got my heart rate up more often than I had pictured in my head pre-ride. One of the best trails ever though, and, well, you gotta do it.

Seriously though, the stupid wide angle fish eye lens of my old GoPro Hero 2 doesn't seem to give an accurate feel to how steep some of those up and down hill slopes were. Enjoy...

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 08-29-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    littletommy, admiral, Fred and 2 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Day 3 continued-

We spent the day in the Sand Flats Recreation Area, so after riding the Slickrock Bike Trail we move onto do Fins and Things and Hells Revenge. It all offered crazy steep slopes, mixed with sandy areas, mixed with rough rocky areas. The snow capped La Sal Mountains felt so much closer than they appear on video which made the rides in Moab majestic. Unfortunately, since we were out there for so many hours I used up all of the batteries for the GoPro on Slickrock and Fins and Things, so I didn't get any footage of Hells Revenge.

Enjoy the final video of day 3, Fins and Things...

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 08-29-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Day 3 - Sand Flats and the slickrock

A group of us headed down to town and up to the Sand Flats Recreation Area to ride the Slickrock Bike Trail. Two previous Moab meet-ups and I had not been on this quintessential trail! It lived up to its lore. Gorgeous scenery, of course. Up and downhill slopes you may need a adult diaper for. Side hill riding next to canyon cliffs, etc., etc. As I sort of mention towards the end of my video, it was more difficult than I thought it would be for me. I mean, it's clearly totally do-able since nobody in our group ever actually crashed, but some of the tight switches, steep uphill slopes with bumps or ledges in the middle of the climb, and some of the near vertical bunny hops you needed to make got my heart rate up more often than I had pictured in my head pre-ride. One of the best trails ever though, and, well, you gotta do it.

Seriously though, the stupid wide angle fish eye lens of my old GoPro Hero 2 doesn't seem to give an accurate feel to how steep some of those up and down hill slopes were. Enjoy...

This was one of my favorite places on the slickrock trail. Had the full blown Fred Flintstone feel for me.

Yeah, this spot was tricky both ways but more so heading back. You bleeped out a comment so I suppose you agree with me
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Day 3 continued-

We spent the day in the Sand Flats Recreation Area, so after riding the Slickrock Bike Trail we move onto do Fins and Things and Hells Revenge. It all offered crazy steep slopes, mixed with sandy areas, mixed with rough rocky areas. The snow capped La Sal Mountains felt so much closer than they appear on video which made the rides in Moab majestic. Unfortunately, since we were out there for so many hours I used up all of the batteries for the GoPro on Slickrock and Fins and Things, so I didn't get any footage of Hells Revenge.

Enjoy the final video of day 3, Fins and Things...

When Bodi took us on this trail for the first time in Moab 15 we riding in the opposite direction of what you have to nowadays. I remember this spot gave us a little trouble as I feel we were still all learning how to really ride off-road and in Moab in particular. Today, we ride up or down this stuff thinking how exciting it is rather than the horror of us crashing.

Great video's Larry!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links