Boise Front Ride 5/30/12
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boise Front Ride 5/30/12

I left my house at 1:00pm today on my TW and drove across town to the base of 8th St. here in Boise. That street leads right up into the foothills. About a third of the way up I stopped and took a photo of my city.

At the junction to the Ridge Road, I took a left and headed toward where we had to turn back 3 weeks ago because of downed trees and snow banks. This time, the trees where cleared and the snow was all gone. It was a pleasant day for a ride, upper 50’s and a bit of a breeze. There was an odor of pine in the air and the air was fresh as I was 3000 feet higher than my home. I moved to Idaho in 1972 just for days like this.

The road was mostly cleared of winter down fall. Through the trees, as I rode, I could catch glimpses of close and far mountain tops; some with snow still on them. I passed the junction to Bogus Basin Road and searched out the Crooked Summit Trail. The trail clearing crews had been there and it was in great shape.

I turned down this trail and began to loss elevation as I went. Down the trail, about 2 miles, was a turn off to the left that looked inviting so I took a left and set off on a new adventure. For a couple of miles, it looked good. Then I began to see a bit of downfall. Nothing I couldn’t get around or over though. The trail began to show a few serious ruts; some were deeper than my bike. Being on this adventure alone, I was very cautious and refrained from diving into any of them. Then I came to some major downed trees blocking the trail. There was no way around so It turned out to be just what I needed to exhibit a little common sense, have lunch and turn around.

I hooked back up to the main trail and headed down to Crooked Summit. This is a mountain road junction. A left turn takes off to Clear Creek;

I took the right turn and went down to Robbie Creek( the former home of Carol King). The first major road going right gains elevation clear up out of the hollow and ends up meeting the road between 8th st. and Aldape Summit. I climbed clear up out of this drainage and when I hit the connector road I took a left to Aldape Summit.

On the way I saw some beautiful wild mountain flowers. I just had to stop and get a few photos. I think they were a type of Larkspur.

I proceed down to Aldape Summit where I hooked the Rocky Canyon Road. At that junction there is a small cabin being built; it can’t be more than about 150 sq.Ft. total. Sure looked like a good stiff wind would blow it right off the mountain.

Now this canyon leading down to Boise is aptly name; there is barely room in the bottom of the canyon for a trickle of water in the stream and the road.

It was here that I did my good deed for the day.

Lying in the road was a stretched out Gopher Snake. He was either getting some sun, heading to the other side of the road or in its current position, committing suicide. I stopped and took a couple of photos and then motivated him to slither off into the grass and bushes. The next vehicle passing by maybe not have been as sympathetic to its peril.

This trip was a total of 39 miles. Not one missed shift with my new oil in the engine and very little need for Tylenol after this trip. I tell you TW folks,”Life is Good In Idaho”.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

P.S. I will attempt to add a couple of photos to this story.

P.S.P.S. The Admiral was kind enough to tutor me in the use of Photobucket and thanks to him, you get to see my photos.

Nice RR Ron, I could smell the pines and see the flowers. . .

I guess if your lucky enough to live in the PNW, you are lucky enough!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

very nice, thanks for the photos we love seeing them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice to see the photo's Ron, and some pretty good writing to compliment them. Of all the years I've owned the TW, I never really felt the need to explore above Boise. However, with last years ride with Truelight and this year up 8th street with you, I think I'm missing out on something. I'll have to fix that once I get back from Alaska.

Compared to our ride last Thursday, this looked really relaxing. Like mentioned above, I can almost smell the pine tree's you describe. Thanks for sharing, and leading us on the other adventures too!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Ahhh, the smell of pine trees..... If you bring a chainsaw you can keep going.....Nice pics and report. I've only seen one snake while riding. Rattlesnake. Put the front tire up close so could hear him rattle and then let him go on his way.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Ron...

I'm overdue for a ride and since you've been riding out my "backdoor" (I live in Meridian), perhaps I might join you sometime? I'm interested in a group who's out to "ride, not race" and who'll accommodate my rather cautious riding style. I bought a TW to "get there" not to "get there fast." I've ridden with Admiral and he's been a good partner. So... if you think I'll fit in, let me know if I can join you sometime. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    Ron...

I'm overdue for a ride and since you've been riding out my "backdoor" (I live in Meridian), perhaps I might join you sometime? I'm interested in a group who's out to "ride, not race" and who'll accommodate my rather cautious riding style. I bought a TW to "get there" not to "get there fast." I've ridden with Admiral and he's been a good partner. So... if you think I'll fit in, let me know if I can join you sometime. Thanks...
    The ride I did yesterday is a great day trip. I didn't even put on my crash and burn gear; just a shorty helmet and pull on boots. I would very much enjoy showing you what is out your back door. I have been riding this area since 1977 and know my way around enough that I can usually find my way home.

I am retired so my schedule is pretty open. It is difficult to find kids in my demographic to go riding with. I just usually don't go on weekends as the local pit-racers are blasting around out there and they can make a fun ride less enjoyable.

After the Admiral, Larry and I did the Tylenol Ride I decided that maybe I should do adventures that were a little more age appropiate.(now that may be just wishful thinking or BS)( cause you know the Devil made me do it)

I will never take a person on a ride that they can not easily handle. Again, this is an adventure and fun way to see Idaho. If someone needs abused, that's what we have significant others for.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise 859-7909

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Boise View Post
    The ride I did yesterday is a great day trip. I didn't even put on my crash and burn gear; just a shorty helmet and pull on boots. I would very much enjoy showing you what is out your back door. I have been riding this area since 1977 and know my way around enough that I can usually find my way home.

I am retired so my schedule is pretty open. It is difficult to find kids in my demographic to go riding with. I just usually don't go on weekends as the local pit-racers are blasting around out there and they can make a fun ride less enjoyable.

After the Admiral, Larry and I did the Tylenol Ride I decided that maybe I should do adventures that were a little more age appropiate.(now that may be just wishful thinking or BS)( cause you know the Devil made me do it)

I will never take a person on a ride that they can not easily handle. Again, this is an adventure and fun way to see Idaho. If someone needs abused, that's what we have significant others for.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise 859-7909

Thanks for the info Ron. I'm a '54 model riding a '93 TW, both of us built for comfort, not for speed. Looking at your avatar pic I see protection gear I don't even own. I have a good pair of leather boots (but not MC boots,) a pair of Bohn "Armor" pants (the kind you wear under your jeans) a MotoBoss Airmesh jacket with some armor padding, a so-so pair of gloves and a decent helmet. So, all things considered, an encounter with the hard ground is not something I'm really prepared for. Been there, done that, wasn't much fun.

That having been said, I enjoy riding the 'Dub, like getting out in the backcountry, and at the right pace, have a great time. Lemme know when you'd like to go for a ride and I'll see if I can make the schedule work.

Thanks...

Sure was a nice ride!! Wish I still lived in Boise, I worked for M-K in the late 70's and 80's, Brownlee Dam, Cascade power house, and at Swanfalls Dam, sure do miss the area...I was looking at at map of Danskin area, its by Mayfield on the interstate? used to go from Boise hunting ground squirrels( toyota landcruiser) and come out at Mayfield, ( ever check out the old missale, Titan

silos there?) and then head back to Boise.. alot of great times in Idaho!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links